Home > General > buying advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Schmitt

United Kingdom 
buying advice

First post here so be gentle...

I'm completely new to the world of the Freelander 2 and am looking to buy an MY2014 SD4 XS.

Apart from service history, is there anything Freelander 2 specific that I should look out for when viewing a potential purchase?

Am I correct in thinking that the 2014 SD4 has a timing chain and ancillary belt as opposed to timing belt and ancillary belt?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Post #403374 29th Jan 2021 11:38 am
Grimdog

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Barolo Black

As far as I known all the TD4 / SD4 variants have all three. Timing chain, timing belt and aux belt. Should be changed at 7 years, so if looking at a 14 plate, budget for that doing if not already done. Loads of info on this site, spend a lot of time researching before you purchase. Our freelanders seem to have their fair share of drivetrain issues, as well as other widely known common faults. Later models have had some revisions such as a bigger pinion bearing in the rear diff. I spent literally days researching before committing to purchase. I do all my own mechanical work, so wanted to know what possible problems and associated
costs I may be letting myself in for. Luckily for me, the 150k, 2010 plate TD4 I bought has given me few problems up to press. I did the cambelt and water pump, aux belt, all fluids and serviced the haldex immediately after purchase, as there was no record of this being done in the SH. Still have the glow plugs to replace as cold starting is poor. Other than that, happy days and I am enjoying the car. Good luck in finding the right car for you.

Post #403375 29th Jan 2021 12:18 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red
Re: buying advice

Schmitt wrote:
First post here so be gentle...

I'm completely new to the world of the Freelander 2 and am looking to buy an MY2014 SD4 XS.

Apart from service history, is there anything Freelander 2 specific that I should look out for when viewing a potential purchase?

Am I correct in thinking that the 2014 SD4 has a timing chain and ancillary belt as opposed to timing belt and ancillary belt?

Thanks in advance for your help.

The engine has a timing belt, which is a 7 year change interval. There is a timing chain too, which drives the inlet cam, from the exhaust cam, but it doesn't have a specific change interval. Mine is fine after 120k miles, so it's not something to worry about.

As a precaution, I'd have all drive train fluids replaced, including the Haldex fluid and filters. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #403376 29th Jan 2021 12:30 pm
Schmitt

United Kingdom 

Good advice thanks,

Any idea of a rough price for all the fluids to be changed inc. Haldex?

Is there a downloadable service manual available?

Post #403382 29th Jan 2021 1:41 pm
Grimdog

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Barolo Black

Manual can be downloaded on here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0e6q5jj1l1fe2z/...6-2010.pdf

Not sure if it covers 2014 model but you will get the gist.

Thanks to Alex 😀👍.

The cost of parts only for cambelt, waterpump, aux belt, engine, manual gearbox, ptu, haldex diff oils and haldex and oil filter was around £300 IIRC

Had to buy a timing kit and a large swivel head 27mm spanner for the oil filter which was around an additional £40 for both.

Post #403383 29th Jan 2021 1:48 pm
riverblanche

England 
Re: buying advice

Schmitt wrote:
I'm completely new to the world of the Freelander 2 and am looking to buy an MY2014 SD4 XS. .

hi,
completely new you say, yet you have already narrowed it down to year, engine and spec Laughing
only think not decided is Manual or Auto then Question

The Auto does match the SD4 well but a manual is good and very reliable, check the clutch well IF it does need doing it could be £1k (but a gearbox oil change can be done for £12 Whistle )

cam belt and aux is a 7 year service interval and you may as well do the water pump while there
https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic36479.html

Haldex needs to be serviced make sure the little plastic filter in the pump is done as well as the main filter and oil change about £250

check all the door locks A, open all the doors via remote and B, lock all the doors (just takes walking around the car twice to check them) the motors in the actuators get lazy or fail a motor is £4, an actuator is £20 s/h or about £70 new if you take it to a main stealer your in the hundreds Shocked

2 keys and a good history backed up with receipts and check what spare it has Question

Thumbs Up .
my first ever FL2 and I did keep it longer than most other cars!
But its now gone way up Norf

Post #403388 29th Jan 2021 4:47 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Schmitt wrote:
Good advice thanks,

Any idea of a rough price for all the fluids to be changed inc. Haldex?

Is there a downloadable service manual available?

Haldex service kit is £48, and it's a pretty easy DIY job, if a little uncomfortable, laying on your back underneath the vehicle.

I'm putting my replacement diff in this weekend (weather permitting), so will be sorting the Haldex service at the same time. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #403391 29th Jan 2021 5:14 pm
GundogSD4

England 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

SD4 only available in Auto, TD4 can be had in both Auto and manual.

Post #403393 29th Jan 2021 6:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1