Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > The Passport Office .
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver
The Passport Office .

On Friday morning last week my passport expired . OK , I’m not going to need it for travel anytime soon but I thought I might as well renew it now , rather than wait for a log jam if or when travel resumes . Friday was shopping day anyway, and the Max Spielmann place in one of the local supermarkets was doing passport photos with a digital reference to use on the .Gov website . Friday afternoon I did the online application and paid the fee . Saturday I posted my old passport back to the address in Peterborough . This morning I received an email that my application was approved and my old passport would be returned . This afternoon another saying my new passport was on it’s way .

Earlier I posted about how quickly the DVLA had transacted a plate change and new V5 . I’m also using the state pension forecast system at the moment as I qualify this year

On the whole I must say I’m impressed with the ease of use and efficiency of the services that the government have online 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #403260 26th Jan 2021 3:33 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I renewed my British passport last April on its last day. It took 4 months for the old one to get to England. They processed the new one quickly & I had it in a few weeks. Plus they did not backdate the date of the passport.

I know I couldn't travel but it is easier to renew a non expired passport, & it was cheaper than my Australian passport.

Having 2 passports I can spend 90 days every 180 days in Europe alternately on each passport. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #403280 27th Jan 2021 6:29 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Should you chose to, or even be able to, isnt spending that long away by switching between the two passports morally wrong?

Post #403301 27th Jan 2021 2:39 pm
Grimdog

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Barolo Black

Lightwater wrote:
I renewed my British passport last April on its last day. It took 4 months for the old one to get to England. They processed the new one quickly & I had it in a few weeks. Plus they did not backdate the date of the passport.

I know I couldn't travel but it is easier to renew a non expired passport, & it was cheaper than my Australian passport.

Having 2 passports I can spend 90 days every 180 days in Europe alternately on each passport.

As I understand it, you would have to leave the EU and 're enter on your second passport and get a new date stamp. There is no stamping cross border in the EU roadwise, may be different if you fly, though changing passports mid flight may prove interesting.

Post #403303 27th Jan 2021 3:02 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Yes.

To date I have left Australia on Australian passport & entered Europe on British passport & likewise on return. It was quicker getting through borders. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #403325 28th Jan 2021 12:02 am
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Have to agree with OP. I applied for my passport replacement this morning and was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the website and ease of making the applicatioon.

Online applications for things from the government does seem an area they have really got organised for the public, unlike so much of everyything else they have a hand in!

Post #403355 28th Jan 2021 5:09 pm
MartynB

Delivered on business day 4 after the Friday application . The technology in the passport for security is amazing , apparently world leading . Shame for the Brexiteers that it’s a French company , manufacturing the passports in Poland ! Rolling with laughter
 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

Post #403356 28th Jan 2021 5:17 pm
tim_roberts

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black

Despite this, we still have the ridiculous situation where you have to renew your passport at least 6 months before it expires (more if you're going away for a long trip) and they start the new passport from the day it's issued, rather than the day the old one expires.

It's called a rip-off.

Post #403373 29th Jan 2021 10:09 am
MartynB

The reason for the advice on 6 months early is just because there are destinations that won’t allow entry with a passport which has less than 6 months before expiry .

That applies to all of Schengen Europe now , a lot of holiday makers will be caught out when travel resumes . I let mine expire as my only plans in the last 6 months were for using as ID on flights to Ireland , but with the pandemic they didn’t happen anyway . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

Post #403379 29th Jan 2021 12:25 pm
Grimdog

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Barolo Black

I had to renew mine whilst in France. Sent it off just before Christmas. It took 3 weeks to get to the passport office by recorded mail, but they turned it around on the same day as they received my old passport ( online application ), and I received it back in France 5 days later, via DHL couriers. Great service, shame about the £19 delivery charge. I did not want or need my old passport back, but had to pay for the privilege 👀🤑😵

Post #403384 29th Jan 2021 1:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1