Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Forum, off topic, non owners etc (split from watches)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Steve D wrote:
Yes, and you can buy a cheaper 4x4 than a Freelander that will do the same job. Ditto with a house, a pair of shoes, a suit, a mobile phone, a laptop, a carpet, a sofa, a TV or just about anything you like. It’s just a matter of personal choice. By the way, nobody has posted up an 'expensive' or 'luxury' watch. They are, at best, mid range priced, mid range watches.

Thought this might touch a nerve with some but it has missed the point.

My point being, this forum used to be the best place for technical help for Freelander owners. Members shared hints and tips on maintenance issues and helped each other out with technical problems of which there are many.
It would appear that the forum is now morphing into what I would describe as a 'Facebook' type meeting place for people to share none motoring interests.
The watches thing was just an example.
I have in the past taken away from here some excellent information on vehicle maintenance and I am very grateful to the many members who have contributed. I am in my 60's and until recently would never have attempted something like a cam belt change. I have now done three.
If you look through the posts now, there are a considerable amount of none technical ones. There are even members on here who have never posted a Freelander related post.
I realise this will probably get some peoples backs up..........but it is just an observation.

One last thing before I go for a grandad nap.
Dorsetfreelander is to be commended for looking after the church clock, my eldest son used to do a similar job. Thumbs Up Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #402951 20th Jan 2021 11:54 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

You did notice this thread is in the “off topic posts” thread? Very Happy Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #402952 20th Jan 2021 12:11 pm
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

I did. Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #402953 20th Jan 2021 12:20 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

There are some of us who no longer own a FL2, but did a reasonable amount of maintenance on ours before we were forced to buy something else. Hopefully we can still pass on some useful tips to those who are newer to the model.
I for one always stop in at the "Off Topic" section first - because it is full of interesting banter, and then go onto the normal sections to see if I could be of any help.
Without the Off Topic banter I am not sure I would visit anywhere near as often, and maybe then less help to those who need it.

By forced in my case family pressure, but in the past I have had to get rid of vehicles that I liked because it fell foul of the "opted out company car scheme" rules about mileage or age, eg Skoda Octavia 2.5 years old but passed the 150k mileage rule - cracking car, cheap to service, comfortable, cheap to fuel, good tow car, bloody awful down a quarry though. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #402957 20th Jan 2021 1:36 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I think that this forum is becoming more like a forum for classic car enthusiasts. My sons are into Porsche 911s and they seem to have similar groups that share information and advice on models going back to the 60's. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #402960 20th Jan 2021 2:54 pm
3landertwo

classic enthusiasts ..... and ...... with the 2nd hand value dropping to a level where many can afford their first FL2 ..... we get those people asking the same old questions in their first post. we have become a Library for FL2's. People don't want to read the 'books/threads' written by others in the past, they want to start their own book/thread.

Sign of the times, we live in a culture of .... I don't want to know why (and learn) ..... I just want the answer !!!

PS I'll let you know when I become really cantankerous, but first I have to catch up with the average age of many participants here Yawn

Post #402962 20th Jan 2021 3:53 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Oooooo touchy Wink

Having a discussion with the youngest (35) the other day, apparently my generation had it easy with free University places and loads of apprenticeships Shocked . I think that we had offered to pay his course fees, and when an apprenticeship came up for his brother they both apparently didn't want to be someones slave for 4 years just to learn how to fix something - looks easy apparently.

Looking at equipment and working out how it works, and how it goes together is apparently a gift, so understanding the fundamentals of engineering and applying it is a gift Censored hard earned.

Unfortunately there are quite a few souls who want to know how to do something rather than why, they will continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.
How in a world where the answer is just a few clicks away (not always the right answer) do teachers and parents instill a thirst for the fundamentals? Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #402963 20th Jan 2021 4:30 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Back in the 70's only about 7% got to University and although it was free (parents still had a means tested contribution for accommodation) you were asked to leave if you didn't do well enough. I remember my first chemistry lecture when the head of department said "I want everyone to look at the person on your right, now look at the one on your left - one of you three won't be here next year" he was right and about a third were sent down after year end exams. Now you get endless resits and everyone gets a 2:1 or a 1st. In my day hardly anyone got a first class degree.

Rant over 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #402971 20th Jan 2021 6:29 pm
3landertwo

we seem to have gone 'off-thread'

maybe Martin could extract the posts and start a new thread called "Off-Loading'

have we upset 'olde master time'

??

Post #402972 20th Jan 2021 7:35 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Yes, it could certainly do with tidying up and keeping it just as a watch thread. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #402974 20th Jan 2021 7:41 pm
Boxbrownie

dorsetfreelander wrote:
I remember my first chemistry lecture when the head of department said "I want everyone to look at the person on your right, now look at the one on your left - one of you three won't be here next year" he was right

Now, don’t be bitter just because you didn’t make it Rolling with laughter

It’s true though, back in the early (very) 70’s I didn’t even think of university, it was college....university was something posh kids went to, how times change....we put both kids though Uni.....twice each! One did History and Politics and then went on to do medicine and is now a Doctor, the other did arable agriculture at one Uni then in to do livestock at another Uni (a bloody posh one this time!).....both kids have cost us a fortune and I mean over £100K for all of that, we never had holidays or new cars while they were learning (well they said they were), but we wouldn’t have changed it for the world.

It’s a completely different world today, and they still think it was harder for them than us! Rolling Eyes Regards

David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #402976 20th Jan 2021 8:19 pm
Boxbrownie

Steve D wrote:
Yes, it could certainly do with tidying up and keeping it just as a watch thread.

How about....I couldn’t afford many watches while they were at Uni? Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Post #402977 20th Jan 2021 8:20 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Sorry, I am guilty of wandering off at a tangent sometimes.

I tend to like reading others thoughts and stories about not only the FL2, but other motoring/engineering subjects.

This is what makes this forum more human, and gives a bit of background to the hard FL2 facts.

If you just want technical help, look no further than the links below.

Handbooks, etc - courtesy of alex_pescaru

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic10621.html

Direct Link to Repair Manual and Wiring Diagrams. (pdf and fully searchable via 'find on page')

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0e6q5jj1l1fe2z/...6-2010.pdf

PS I even read the WATCH Section, although, sometimes, I find it a bit to complicated to understand. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #403007 21st Jan 2021 5:09 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Liverpool lost tonight

I’ll get my coat Whistle

Post #403034 22nd Jan 2021 2:12 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Boxbrownie wrote:
Steve D wrote:
Yes, it could certainly do with tidying up and keeping it just as a watch thread.

How about....I couldn’t afford many watches while they were at Uni? Rolling with laughter

As a kid I had one of those radioactive radium 1600 year half-life watches. Shocked Another kid at school had the first digital watches where you pressed a button to display the time in red numerals. Everyone wanted one.

Now I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a digital watch. Maybe dead wearing a radium watch! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #403036 22nd Jan 2021 3:54 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>