Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > So, £2k off a Freelander...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Natwest

United Kingdom 
So, £2k off a Freelander...

Will it make a difference to those undecided potential owners?

Post #40921 22nd Apr 2009 7:25 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

if they have a 10 year old car to trade in Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #40922 22nd Apr 2009 7:28 pm
stormsky

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Pointless.

I got £5K off list on my FL2 back in Sept without even trying that hard and when things hadn't sunk quite so low, I'm sure I could get a lot more if buying today. £2K will just be absorbed by the OEM who will still only offer the same overall discount.

I can't really see either that the sorts of people who drive 10 year old cars can afford to buy new. 58 HSE, auto, lago grey, tints. Mine and my dogs Storm and Sky
TT Quattro, black. Ers.
AC Cobra rep in build. Ars.

Post #40927 22nd Apr 2009 9:00 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

The motor industry have been asking for support ... they have been given some ....sort off... but I have NO doubt that being the lying, thieving buch of scoundrels (most) of them are they will screw this up copmpletely and the retailers will try and make the most out of this offer, at the expense of the end user.

Mrs Avtur is in line for a new car, we've been holding off simply because of this 'scrapage' scheme. I have recent quotes on a number of possible replacement cars; I bet a shed load of money that if get re-quoted now the scheme has been announced I wont get a single quoted that comes in £2k less than what I've already got.

And of course the big con is that the the government is only putting up £1k to be matched by the dealer, this is where the delaers will tell us they are already giving us the £1k and thats why there will not be a single £2k drop on any car anywhere.

The motor industry is doomed due to them being their own worst enemy .... appreciate there may be the odd good one out there BUT they are few and far between .....

Mr Angry
Stockport

PS - we do have a 10 year old car to trade (actually its 10 years and 3 months), I know its worth squat in the real world which is why I was hanging on for this scheme. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #40929 22nd Apr 2009 9:11 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

stormsky wrote:
I can't really see either that the sorts of people who drive 10 year old cars can afford to buy new.

Agree, mine was only 9 Mr. Green and still have it.

Post #40975 23rd Apr 2009 2:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
avtur

stormsky wrote:

I can't really see either that the sorts of people who drive 10 year old cars can afford to buy new.

Mabe we're not typical, but Mrs Avtur is not in the least car minded and has no interest in keeping upto date, having latest model etc... So the pattern we have established over twenty years is that her car is kept many years until its not economic to repair and then replaced with something that will (should) give manys more years of trouble free use. The timing of this 'offer' is just right as her current car has given us 7 years trouble free motoring but I don't think it'll give us much more without costing.

(actually its because the ashtrays are full and it needs a wash Laughing ) Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!

Post #40979 23rd Apr 2009 3:20 pm
Natwest

United Kingdom 

Similar situation to Mrs Avtur, in that it has all come together at the right time

My father qualifies for employee discount and as such allows me cheaper than average new price Freelies Thumbs Up , I also have access to a vehicle over 10 years old (not my current daily car) that was very recently (three weeks ago - didn't preplan this at all Cool ) registered in my name so the scrappage thingy will (if LR sign up) make the difference between a GS and XS plus some shiny bits!

However if LR don't sign up, my plan B is a Volvo C30 T5 Sport Lux for £16k (20% off - employee disc again Bow down )

Post #40991 23rd Apr 2009 4:56 pm
avtur

avtur wrote:

And of course the big con is that the the government is only putting up £1k to be matched by the dealer, this is where the delaers will tell us they are already giving us the £1k and thats why there will not be a single £2k drop on any car anywhere.

(Still) Mr Angry
Stockport

Well just as I thought, no chance of seeing the £2k .... Been looking at motors this afternoon and just as I suspected there is £1k off the price I was offered about 10 days ago ... "well sir you see we already had £1k discount in the car and that is what's now being used to match the governments £2k contribution"

There was spokesperson the SMMT on the radio just yesterday say that all you had to was present a qualifying car and you would receive an EXTRA £2k discount, absolute tosh .... all anyone is going to get from this deal is the extra £1k from the government. OK thats better than a kick in the teeth but yet again there's a load of hype and when you cut through the crap what's on offer is not exactly what we were lead to believe..... Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!

Post #41140 25th Apr 2009 6:19 pm
upnaway

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Baltic Blue

I hope this does not lead to loads of old Landies being uncessarily scrapped which would normally be bought by enthusiasts and be returned to gainfull employment as off roaders, fun cars or even restored to original. Surely more CO2 goes into building a new car than can ever be recovered by scrapping it. The great thing about Land Rovers is that they never die. (OK some are beyond redemption but they would never qualify for a fudged clunker scheme). Just remember one of the first stealth taxes introduced by the scotsman was the scrapping of the 20 year VED exempion scheme.

ps. Mr Pinks, how do I get spell check to work on this site, I feel I need it after a couple of G&Ts still pining for my 3dr, no removeable hardtop, no drop glass tailgate, no roof rack, no pockets everywhere to stow all that man kit

Post #41148 25th Apr 2009 8:36 pm

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

If the Government wanted taxpayers to go out and buy new cars, houses, etc then money in the pocket by way of a tax cut would have been the ticket! Not £600 Billion of debt!

PS. Look how they have treated the Gurkhas!! Maybe they should have claimed asylum instead of serving the Crown!!

Steve

Post #41150 25th Apr 2009 8:52 pm
upnaway

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Baltic Blue

24772433 there are many inequalities in this world including most definately the Gurkhas. The only way of judging the morality of your 'leaders' is when the going gets tough. anybody can be 'nice' in the good times. Though they were not to the Gurkhas, says it all! still pining for my 3dr, no removeable hardtop, no drop glass tailgate, no roof rack, no pockets everywhere to stow all that man kit

Post #41152 25th Apr 2009 9:09 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

respect to the loyal gurkhas they deserve more Bow down

for spell checking use firefox as your browser Thumbs Up At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #41157 25th Apr 2009 10:32 pm
John L

United Kingdom 

Well said 24772433!

Post #41188 26th Apr 2009 6:29 pm
dick

England 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Baltic Blue

avtur wrote:
yet again there's a load of hype and when you cut through the crap what's on offer is not exactly what we were lead to believe.....

I seem to have been hearing that rather a lot in recent years...

- Dick

Post #41233 27th Apr 2009 10:57 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1