Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > A question about clutches!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bazo

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black
A question about clutches!

Hello all, hope everyone is well.
I hope that there might be someone who might, if possible be able to answer a question for me.
Might I first just add a little back story to this a few weeks ago I had the slave cylinder give up on my 14MY FL2 xs, the car is fitted with stop start and is the 150bhp model.

I had all and every intention of changing the clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder and rear crank case seal myself only to have the weather either be below freezing or wet! That and getting a fair bit of work in that required starting (self-employed builder) so I gave the job to a local garage that I have used for decades.

Back to the question the clutch they have fitted, along with the flywheel etc is for a "up to" VIN AH999999 NOT the clutch, flywheel etc from VIN BH000001 the one that on paper should be fitted to my car the garage has told myself that if all the clutch components are changed it would make no difference what one was fitted ( they got that info from there supplier AND told the supplier all the relevant about the car) I phoned up LuK technical helpline to try and find out if that was the case, basically to be told "there is no reason why the complete clutch would not work BUT the newer one should be fitted or it would not of been made!
Does anyone know of a reason why the new clutch i.e., from VIN BH000001 should be fitted? The strange thing is on the limited technical spec's available they are both the same size and almost identical in other specifications.
Sorry to have dragged on like I have but I would be grateful if anyone has any knowledge of the different clutches or if there might be any damage that might occur if the wrong one is fitted.
Thank you

Post #402658 13th Jan 2021 11:56 pm
countax

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Biscay Blue

I would be very interested in knowing this info as well as my MY2010 FL2 will require a new clutch sometime soon.
I wonder if the pressure plate is a better version to stop the clutch slip problem many of us have experienced.?
Do you think Luk would be able to tell you this specific info?
Nigel

Post #403685 4th Feb 2021 5:01 pm
turbodi16v

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Ipanema Sand

I believe the the earlier version had adjustable clutch mechanism. After bh they did'nt.

Post #403688 4th Feb 2021 5:38 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Is it working correctly?

If so, dont fret it too much. If it isnt, blame he garage for fitting the wrong one and insist they change it. Thumbs Up Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #403690 4th Feb 2021 6:13 pm
Bazo

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

Sorry in the delay in replying to my own thread I have been crazy busy.
Yesterday I emailed Schaeffler ( the maker or group owner of LuK ) and received a reply,
below is a copy of the my email and a description of their reply,

Dear Sir or Madam,

I was hoping you might be able to help with information regarding the correct clutch and dual mass flywheel that should be fitted to my car.
The reason for this enquiry is because a local garage that I instructed to change the dual mass flywheel, clutch and slave cylinder on my car have I believe changed them for an earlier year group. Upon questioning the reason behind NOT fitting the correct DMF, clutch and slave cylinder for my car as indicated on webcat.schaeffler.com I was informed that if all components are changed it will not matter what year group of parts are fitted, as long as they are not mixed together e.g., newer clutch with older DMF. I did ask them to check that they had the correct information before they commenced the work and I was repeatedly informed that they (the garage who undertook the work) had asked their suppliers and each time they were informed that the parts they ordered for my car where indeed correct.
I would be grateful if you may be able to tell myself if the parts fitted are correct OR whether the parts installed are incorrect and what detrimental effect it might have to my car.

Vehicle make- Land Rover Freelander 2 2014 model year
Part Vin Number SALFA2CC6EH389…
LuK dual mass flywheel fitted to car 415 0484 10
LuK clutch Kit RepSet Pro fitted to car 625 3074 33

I was under the impression that the above parts Should only be fitted up to VIN number AH999999 and as my vehicles VIN number is clearly above that, then the part numbers stated below should have been fitted instead. If this is the case might you please comment on why they are required instead of the parts listed that have been fitted to my vehicle, as the garage are addiment that they are only following what their suppliers have informed them and they believe they have fitted the correct parts.

LuK dual mass flywheel 415 0613 10
LuK clutch Kit RepSet Pro 625 3140 33

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this matter.
Kind Regards,

and Schaeffler (LuK)

1./Basically both "clutch sets" are the same size

2./Mine should of had the later set as the cut off point for the earlier DMF and clutch set is .VIN number AH999999

3./The difference in the later DMF and clutch set has different internal dampening to take into account the different torque characteristics of the later engine
and if the earlier one is used it will fail prematurely.

The reason I have not just copied and pasted the reply email is there is a disclaimer about re distribution etc!

So no matter who, or what either myself or anyone else has been told THERE IS a difference,
To be honest its been a couple of weeks since the work was completed and maybe I am just being paranoid BUT,
(and I would be grateful if someone else might be able to tell me if this is normal)

.The clutch has a low biting point approximately 1 1/2 inches (38mm) from the bottom of the pedal travel.
.It is a pain in stop start traffic, very harsh engagement of the gear if the clutch pedal is not raised/ accelerator applied very slowly.
.There seems to be no "easing it into gear" it is either in or out of gear.
.And there seems to be a slight vibration in the clutch pedal itself.

Finally just a thought but if the dampening is not strong enough OR to strong what other damage might this do?

Hope this helps and again sorry in the late reply

Post #403757 5th Feb 2021 8:50 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1