Home > In Car Electronics > 2014 FL2 TD4 SE Stereo Upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
jackedwardshepherd

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Orkney Grey
2014 FL2 TD4 SE Stereo Upgrade

Hello All,

Firstly apologies if this has already been posted but I have been trawling though the forums and can't seem to find a conclusive answer for my specific model.

I recently purchased a 2014 FL2 TD4 SE which has a lot of mod cons but am not happy with the screen in the dash or stereo controls as they look very cheap (I am the sort of person that gets hung up on these little things). I imagine the correct solution is to buy a different vehicle but this particular example came from my parents so I got a good deal and it has been well looked after. Long story short I would like to upgrade the dash and screen if I can. These posts are very similar but mention the GS model rather than the SE:

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic27803.ht...n+retrofit
https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic26576.ht...n+retrofit

This is my current dash setup:

What I am hoping to achieve is the following:

Click image to enlarge

The main difference being the size of the screen and a slightly different button layout with the silver trim and the small analogue clock in the centre of the stereo controls.

The various configurations for FL2 entertainment systems (including digital radio, navigation, speakers, phone connectivity, etc.) are mentioned on the forum but with reference to HI-Line and Lo-Line trims and GS and HSE models (hopefully SE sits somewhere in the middle of that). My FL2 has a digital display in the centre of the dash (between the speedo and rev counter) so I am hoping that it is a fairly 'advanced' model being one of the last few to be made in the UK (I believe the stopped production in 2014):

So cutting to the chase, expense aside how feasible would it be to upgrade the centre dash and screen and add the navigation module which I believe is located under the drivers seat? There are a couple of HSE models being broken for parts at the moment so I am happy to cover the cost of the dash trim, head unit and navigation box (something along these lines):

Your thoughts and knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

Post #402355 8th Jan 2021 6:23 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Hi, welcome. Can’t answer your questions I’m afraid, I was however interested to see that although you have a 14 plate mines earlier on a 63 yet has the dash layout in your second photo. Must be down to the model, rather than registration year

Post #402356 8th Jan 2021 7:43 am
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black
Re: 2014 FL2 TD4 SE Stereo Upgrade

jackedwardshepherd wrote:

So cutting to the chase, expense aside how feasible would it be to upgrade the centre dash and screen and add the navigation module which I believe is located under the drivers seat? There are a couple of HSE models being broken for parts at the moment so I am happy to cover the cost of the dash trim, head unit and navigation box (something along these lines):

Yes it can be done, and I'm aware of someone having done it before, possibly in Russia. But it's more complicated than you seen to understand, you may need to do some research. The low spec vehicles need a lot of extra wiring put in. The nav unit is not under the seats on the high spec vehicles. There are a number of modules in the boot that will need to be installed. And once you have it all installed, you'll need to code it to the car by changing CCF

Post #402357 8th Jan 2021 7:57 am
jackedwardshepherd

Thanks so much for the replies guys!

I have been trawling various forums for advice but generally people only seem to be upgrading earlier GS models rather than the SE. I was hoping that as mine is a very late SE it might have the necessary infrastructure for the upgrade already in place.

From what I gather, prior to the release of the Discovery Sport the old range (S, GS, XS HSE) was replaced with a more streamlined range (SE, SE Tech and Metropolis). I think the SE Tech is the one that has the larger screen on the dash by default but I would imagine you could have paid for it as an extra on the SE model, and have seen older SE models with the navigation option:

Click image to enlarge

The last picture in my post was along the lines of what I was thinking of buying which includes the head unit that sits behind the dash, controls, facia and the separate navigation module. Providing that the wiring is relatively similar I was hoping it would be a question of swapping everything over then possibly having to take it to a dealer to code? Is that wishful thinking and am I also looking at having to swap wiring looms and such?

This is a picture of the back of the head unit I am thinking of buying, I believe it was from a 2013 SD4 if that is of any use:

Click image to enlarge

It also comes with the separate navigation module:

Click image to enlarge

Thanks.

Post #402360 8th Jan 2021 8:47 am
jackedwardshepherd

I think this article better explains the last range that was produced:

https://www.whatcar.com/news/land-rover-fr...alue/n2073

"SE and SE Tech replace GS and XS respectively, while Metropolis replaces HSE Lux. Entry-level SE includes heated leather seats, climate control, rear parking sensors, bluetooth, colour-coded bumpers and mirror caps, a heated windscreen and 18-inch alloy wheels. Stepping up to SE Tech adds a 380-watt sound system, touch-screen sat-nav, automatic headlights and wipers, plus 19-inch wheels. Range-topping Metropolis adds plusher leather, electrically-adjustable seats, 825-watt audio, a panoramic sunroof, xenon headlights, a reversing camera and diamond-turned alloys."

Post #402361 8th Jan 2021 8:56 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

from 2013 - 2014 the basic models were GS, XS, Dynamic, HSE, HSE Lux

from 2014 - production end late 2014/early 2015 the basic models were SE, SE Tech, Dynamic, HSE, HSE Lux which was changed for the last few 14/64/15 to Metropolis.

GS = SE - lowline stereo, no big screen etc
XS = SE Tech - upgraded to Meridian 380W stereo with 7'' screen including sat nav
Dynamic = Dynamic - as above
HSE = HSE - as above but 825W surround sound
HSE Lux = Metropolis - as above

as has been said by the resident UK expert on upgrades, Vanny, its a massively bigger job than you may think and IMHO not worth the cost, time and effort.

Last edited by RogB on 8th Jan 2021 10:21 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #402363 8th Jan 2021 9:50 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

From the mid hi-fi to the top is doable. From low to mid, buy a new car.

& while at it buy an automatic! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Last edited by Lightwater on 8th Jan 2021 10:17 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #402365 8th Jan 2021 10:12 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

jackedwardshepherd wrote:
I think this article better explains the last range that was produced:

https://www.whatcar.com/news/land-rover-fr...alue/n2073

"SE and SE Tech replace GS and XS respectively, while Metropolis replaces HSE Lux. Entry-level SE includes heated leather seats, climate control, rear parking sensors, bluetooth, colour-coded bumpers and mirror caps, a heated windscreen and 18-inch alloy wheels. Stepping up to SE Tech adds a 380-watt sound system, touch-screen sat-nav, automatic headlights and wipers, plus 19-inch wheels. Range-topping Metropolis adds plusher leather, electrically-adjustable seats, 825-watt audio, a panoramic sunroof, xenon headlights, a reversing camera and diamond-turned alloys."

I have SDD which could do the coding, however as has been said previously, adding screens and anything else is needed, is far from easy, which is why I looked for a vehicle which already had everything I wanted as standard. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #402366 8th Jan 2021 10:14 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I have a late GS which has same set up as your SE. Would love to upgrade stereo but not worth the hassle and expense. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #402373 8th Jan 2021 10:52 am
Vanny

What you have called the 'head unit' is the FCDIM or Infotainment Screen.
What you have called the 'Nav Unit' is the IAM or effectively the head unit.
Have a look at the wiring diagram for the system.

On the MOST ring, you'll also need an AAM (Audio Amplifier Module) and DABM (DAB Module). In theory, you need the diagnostic connector down by the fuse box, but you could leave that out. The MOST loop runs from front to rear of the car and is an optical/glass type wire. This means it can't readily be 'pulled' through the car so seats out, boot out and some or more of the centre console out.

The FCDIM has 7 electrical connections, most will need to be remade as they don't carry over from the existing screen. The IAM has another 20 connections to make, though you could leave some out if you don't want USB/AUX/Video inputs or microphone for phone. The AAM needs some hefty power going to it, the existing amp isn't compatible as far as I'm aware so you're in to re wiring the speakers. DABM is pretty straight forward.

You could save some time by ordering harnesses direct. The main body harness was around £1400 last time I looked, then there are a couple of console and dash harnesses to add to it.

I can tell you its possible because I have an entire working system on my desk next to me playing BBC Radio2. But is it feasible? That's a decision for you. It would take me most of a week and I know the system intimately.

Post #402379 8th Jan 2021 11:07 am
jackedwardshepherd

Thanks so much for the comprehensive reply, you are certainly the person in the know when it comes to the FL2!

I think I need to do a bit of investigation work before committing to the upgrade, sometimes just taking the trim panels off isn't worth the hassle! I also need to get my head around what is currently there and any compatibility issues between existing and replacement kit. If possible I would like to have full functionality with the new system (USB, phone, aux, video inputs, etc.) and certainly don't want to downgrade what I currently have.

The existing installation has DAB so I would (rightly or wrongly) assume I have a DABM? There are also a few (what I assume are) AAMs on a well known auction site (Part Number 6H52-18C808-DD) for relatively cheap so that shouldn't be a problem. The most concerning part of your reply was 'remaking the electrical' connections' which sounds daunting! If this is a case or swapping pins in the existing connectors or installing adapters that should be ok, but running new individual wires could be tricky. There was also a mention of coding in an earlier post which is something that goes beyond what I have attempted in the past and something I would need to leave to an expert.

After I have done a bit of research I guess the next step is to bite the bullet and buy the replacement FCDIM and IAM and then take it from there... ? The parts I was looking to buy are what I now assume is the IAM (Part Number HWND 31344900 AA) which has the CD/DVD drive and presumably the Bluetooth module and then what I now assume is the FCDIM although I can't read the part number on the picture!

I now realise this is not a completely straightforward task but it is still something I am interested in exploring so any help, guidance or assistance you can offer is very much appreciated!

Thanks again!

Post #402386 8th Jan 2021 12:48 pm
Vanny

If you've got a DABM in the boot then perhaps even these low line cars have the MOST? The optical 'wires' are normally orange.

I suspect there will be a lot of making up wiring looms from scratch and finding appropriate places to connect them to the car.

Have a look at this article which will explain how the part numbers break down and help with eBay-ing

https://bxproject.co.uk/blog/a-module-to-learn-with/

FCDIM - 10E889 (My 13MY has DH52-10E889-AG)
*IAM - 18C815 (My 13MY is CF6N-18C815-HE)
*IPC- 10849 (My 13MY has DH52-10849-EE) - Instrument Cluster
AAM - 19C164 (My 13my has BJ32-19C164-AG)

In general, 6H52 infotainment ECUs are for older cars (pre electrical architecture uplift).

You can read more about the changes in electrical architecture here;

https://bxproject.co.uk/blog/lr-electrical-architecture/

*EDITED due to copy-paste error.

Last edited by Vanny on 8th Jan 2021 7:47 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #402388 8th Jan 2021 1:08 pm
jackedwardshepherd

Again I can't thank you enough for the knowledge. I have now read both of those articles and actually came across your site previously whilst deep in the rabbit hole of FL2 modifications!

As soon as I start taking things apart to investigate I will let you know what I find. Possibly optimistic but I am hoping that towards the end of the FL2 production they put the same architecture into each model, then added modules as required to meet the specification. The article I posed previously mentions that the SE has a lot of functionality that was previously only available in the high end models (such as heated leather seats, climate control, rear parking sensors and bluetooth).

Your model numbers are very useful. The kit I am looking at has the same FCDIM (DH52-10E889-AG) but I cant seem to get the part number for the IAM. I tried searching Google and eBay for yours (DH52-10849-EE) and it just comes up with instrument clusters for the old model FL2 so I must be missing something? This is the part I am looking at:

Click image to enlarge

I am assuming from your blog post that the model number is CF6N-18C815-HE and searching for that brings up an array of JLR 'Bluetooth CD Radio Sat-Nav Units' which is along the right lines. I am assuming it is compatible with the FCDIM as they originally came from the same vehicle.

The AAM will have to take a rain check until I can have a look in the boot to see if I have one. Will also take that opportunity investigate the presence of the MOST wiring. The BJ32-19C164-AG seems to be widely available though which is good.

Another stupid question what does the MY stand for in 13MY? I can only guess at manufacture year?

Thanks!

Post #402395 8th Jan 2021 2:55 pm
Vanny

Apologies, my copy and paste error,

IAM - 18C815 (My 13MY is CF6N-18C815-HE)

The other number was for IPC (so they are next to each other in my excel sheet Laughing )

MY is Model Year, so not quite the year of manufacture. Production of a model year can start as much as 6 months before the model year date. So you could get a '12' plate car which is 13MY and a '13' plate car which was late registered and actually a 12MY

Post #402406 8th Jan 2021 7:45 pm
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

So great work in having a go with this project and commitment but time for some reality!
1. No wiring will be present for the Meridian System.
2. MOST wiring will not be present.
3. GVIF & CVBS cabling will not be present.
4. All speaker wires to doors, dash, boot will not be present as the Low ICE wiring for speakers is from the IAM V AAMI in boot for Meridian.
5. All door harness wiring will need to be changed from LOW ICE to Meridian Spec wiring harness part numbers. Door harness wiring is different for low ICE and Meridian.
5. All power lines won’t be present IAM, FCDIM, AAMI, DABM even the plugs and pinouts are different.
6. Main chassis harness and Main Dash Harness are different. None of the wiring is similar between Low Ice & Meridian specification.
7. CCF changes are Many! And when I say many it’s not just ICE functions, ie phone, navigation, park sensors, illumination and illumination sensing, steering wheel controls, auxiliary control panel even the clock!

It truly is a HUGE job! MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)