Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Rear crankshaft oil seal replaced, now the turbo has failed.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Nick42

Rear crankshaft oil seal replaced, now the turbo has failed.

Hello folks, would appreciate the opinion of someone who knows what the rear crankshaft oil seal replacement job requires.

Mine was replaced recently (under LR extended warranty fortunately) by my local dealer after it was spotted during a routine service. 4 weeks and not many miles later I ended up with a red light, amber emissions light and limp mode. AA diagnosed a turbo problem and once back at the dealer they said the turbo requires replacement, should all be covered but the warranty company want the dealer to try and find out why it has failed before they authorise the repair.

I know the crankshaft seal replacement requires the gearbox off and suspension dismantled etc. but would they have gone anywhere near the turbo or associated pipework? Is it too much of coincidence that the turbo failed shortly afterwards or have I just been unlucky?

Typical that with the first sign of snow for years my Landy was stuck at the dealer over Xmas awaiting parts, fortunately I haven't had to practice ice skating in an M3!

Any thoughts?

(Edited to add that the repair has now been approved so hopefully all fixed in the next few days, it was the variable vane actuator that has failed)

Post #401806 29th Dec 2020 12:12 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Suppose they can go at any point but I agree it’s suspicious so soon after the other work.

Post #401812 29th Dec 2020 12:57 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Re: Rear crankshaft oil seal replaced, now the turbo has fai

Nick42 wrote:

(Edited to add that the repair has now been approved so hopefully all fixed in the next few days, it was the variable vane actuator that has failed)

The actuator is external to the turbo and sticks out at the back of the engine on the RH side -so away from the gearbox. But I guess the actuator could easily get clonked whilst the engine is manipulated to get the gearbox off.

page 1025 Jules

Post #401814 29th Dec 2020 1:40 pm
Nick42

Thanks Jules, useful info.

Post #401830 29th Dec 2020 5:01 pm
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

The lower turbo hose needs removed, but that's the only part of the turbo/induction system that needs to be disturbed

If anyone manages to knock the actuator while having the gearbox out, they shouldn't really be working on cars Laughing

The actuator is available as a separate part, and much quicker, easier and cheaper to replace, providing that the turbos internal VNT mechanism checks out OK Thumbs Up

Post #401845 29th Dec 2020 10:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Thanks Mikey - I wasnt sure how much the engine needs to moved about to get the gearbox out on a FL2. On some cars the engine needs tipping at the gearbox end quite a bit. Jules

Post #401850 29th Dec 2020 10:36 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1