Print this entire topic · 
Pejo

Australia 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver
Sand

Posted by a guy on another site downunder
Not much help when first answer is

"Not having low range may be part of the problem."

Hi guys,

Does anyone seem to struggle getting up sand dunes? Sometimes it feels like my wheels just end up spinning near the top where the sand gets a bit softer, I've dropped my pressures to 10-12psi but still struggled up some which could be due to me as I'm sure the car is more than capable.

Are there any particular terrain settings you guys use? I've tried sand, mud ruts and the general setting

I've tried flooring it up and just felt like my wheels spun once it hit the soft stuff, also tried a more gentle acceleration but it did the same thing. If anyone’s been to Yeagarup in WA, for some reason I struggled to get up that first dune.

Ill point him in this direction for some more information

Post #401677 26th Dec 2020 3:51 am
p_gill

United States 2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Sand mode is the right place to start.

I did drive my LR2 on the beach but not in the dunes

It worked fine.

I didn’t have to air down the tires.

For deep sand I suspect I would need to reduce the pressure as you described.

I also seem to remember that the DSC should be turned off.

Good luck

Paul

Post #401679 26th Dec 2020 5:09 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

As said above, turn off DSC, & keep your foot off the brake.

Read these few pages thoroughly: https://rumenmarinov.com/my-trip-to-the-red-centre-4/ Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #401680 26th Dec 2020 7:02 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Drove through the Sahara in a Freelander 1 with a group of like minded souls in a variety of 4x4s, the Freelander actually had a very good power to weight ratio, and on standard tyres had quite a wide footprint compared to it's weight.

managed to drag a fully laden Nissan patrol out of soft sand, the trick is to get out and check where the best route is with regards to not getting stuck yourself. later on the same day Gill wanted to get a picture at the top of a dune (the tops of dunes are soft!) failed one attempt, but succeeded using another route, got out of the car and started to sink in the powdery sand.
No amount of digging / sand ladders / traction control was going to get me out, a friendly Range Rover and three long straps did though.

At no point in the three weeks did I have to deflate the tyres, we all got stuck at various points, traction control is good, but it can't compensate for a complete prat driving.
Would dearly have loved to take the FL2 on the same route, will definitely be taking the DS at some point in the future.

Click image to enlarge
 Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #401693 26th Dec 2020 8:01 pm
Lightwater

We were on Herald Bight Beach WA. I thought we would be stuffed. The sand was soft & the car was on the bottom but the sand was firm enough underneath. Wouldn't have gone on there without the insurance of sand tracks & tow ropes. We saw a couple of large 4WDs get stuck from stupid things, but did free themselves.

Next morning we walked the route off the beach pre planning our excape as there were other big 4WDs there & wanted to avoid embarrassing ourselves.

Got out without any issues, the car was on the bottom & we also had road tyres. The tyres were at 18psi in the morning.

The car needs to "float" on the sand with reduced pressure. A few times we have been on sand not necessarily on purpose & let the tyres down & got off without any issues. But we haven't done any sand dunes yet. Too old to be stuffed digging ourselves out if it can be avoided.

When we left Francois Peron National Park, there are 2 tyre inflating pumps & 2 long queues of 4WDs for the air. As we approached the queues we said stuff that & pulled up in front of the others. As a team we wipped around the car pumped up the tyres & ready to go. Another 4WD pulled up behind us to use the "third" pumping station. Sorry but this is ours! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #401695 26th Dec 2020 9:00 pm
Pejo

Rolling with laughter
Be funny to see as you drive off

Post #401711 27th Dec 2020 1:24 am
Lightwater

It takes longer taking off & putting on the TPMS, about 35 seconds a corner for the air from 20psi to 35psi. Who wants to be fluffing around in the dust, heat & flies. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #401712 27th Dec 2020 3:31 am
Pejo

Flys Shocked
In Australia

Rolling with laughter

Post #401763 28th Dec 2020 4:29 am
Lightwater

Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #401764 28th Dec 2020 5:10 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1