« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Retrospective Thoughts On The Freelander 2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black
Retrospective Thoughts On The Freelander 2

So, I moved over to a Discovery Sport at the weekend and sold on my 2010 facelift Freelander 2 TD4 GS manual.

After spending a few days with the new car I thought I'd share some of my thoughts on my old Freelander 2.

First off, my god was the TD4 gruff Smile I don't mean that in bad way, it was very agricultural, and I liked that. But it's funny how you notice how quiet a vehicle can be once you've got used to a Freelander Smile

Secondly, some of the trim levels, such as my GS with the cloth seats, are very utilitarian. Again it's not a criticism, it was what the Freelander was all about. I always felt I didn't need to be precious about the interior as it was designed to be abused. This view could of course have been reflected in my We Buy Any Car price Rolling with laughter

The Freelander has, what I think, is very tight turning circle. I always felt it was quite nimble when doing tight manoeuvres. The Disco Sport has confirmed this. The DS doesn't have a bad turning circle, but it is not as tight and neat as the old car.

Lastly, the midline stereo with the Alpine speakers is truly a cut above other "standard" car stereos. My wife has a new Audi and it sounds a bit generic. I feel the DS does as well. The Freelander had such depth and clarity.

Do I miss the Freelander? Not yet. Minus the stereo. The DS is like driving a wonderfully comfortable armchair. It's very relaxing and smooth. Plus all the toys are nice Smile

I also realise it sounds like I'm comparing a new car to a 10 year old car. I'm not directly doing so, more that the new car has allowed me to realise some things about the old one. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #401609 23rd Dec 2020 10:56 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

What spec is your DS ? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #401625 24th Dec 2020 9:49 am
Chuckalicious

It's a 2020 D150 SE. It's a bit of an odd spec as it was a dealer loan car so only has 4k in the clock. It has the MHEV, heated everything etc. Learned to drive in 2011.
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k

Post #401628 24th Dec 2020 10:38 am
Mattmjones

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

The thing about the FL2 is that, because of the range of trim levels and cost options, it could be many things to many people. While your cloth interior GS might have been pretty utilitarian, get into a facelift HSE Lux or a Metropolis with Windsor leather and it still feels positively luxurious, almost like a mini RR Sport from the same generation (aided by the shared design cues and the fact that you get the same steering wheel). In fact, I would say JLR has never made a more versatile vehicle.

Post #401630 24th Dec 2020 11:08 am
Chuckalicious

Oh I totally agree, there were so many options. I can only really take cue from the one I had of course. Learned to drive in 2011.

Post #401631 24th Dec 2020 11:13 am
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

My North American LR2 SE model, bought used, kind of surprised me: it pretty well has everything. I don't know what the HSE model came with as extras except for the larger rims/tyres and body molding? There were likely less addon in this local market as LR does not have a massive market share in Canada.

Enjoy Chuck! Thumbs Up

My cousin's later model did have a heated steering wheel, that's a nice luxury I can entertain upgrading for the right deal.

Post #401634 24th Dec 2020 12:02 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

The only things I missed from my FL2 when changing to an Evoque was the opening roof and the fold down arm rests. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #401640 24th Dec 2020 2:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1