« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Td4 Fuel pump clarification
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AndyHarding

United Kingdom 
Td4 Fuel pump clarification

Hi all, I was hoping someone could help me with a fuelling issue I have with my freelander 2. It broke down when I was on the motorway a few weeks ago and having had a couple of garages look at it, no-one was 100% confident in what it was. The last person to look at it said it was the in tank pump which I have changed for a new one and vacuum bled the system afterwards but there was still no fuel at the rail. I have powered up the pump to see if it would pump to the filter but having read a couple of threads last night it appears the in tank pump does nothing more than circulate the fuel in the saddle tank which leads me to think it's the injection pump.

I do own the workshop manual for the FL2 which states "Fuel is supplied from the rear-mounted fuel tank, via an electrically powered lift pump and fuel filter, to the fuel injection pump. The fuel injection pump supplies fuel under high pressure to the common fuel rail".

I was hoping someone could give me clarification on how fuel is drawn into the rail. Is it through the high pressure pump drawing fuel from the tank independently and the in tank pump doing nothing more than circulating fuel to the pick up. Or is it how the manual states via the in tank pump?

Apologies for the lengthy post

Post #401180 16th Dec 2020 2:19 pm
Denboy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Stornoway Grey

In tank pump for moving fuel from one side to the other
High pressure pump pulls straight thru filter thats why we have to prime the filter when changing
F1 had a low pressure pump under wheel arch that fed the high pressure pump
Hope this helps

Post #401186 16th Dec 2020 4:40 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

There is negative suction from the tank through the filter to the high pressure pump. The HP pump provides positive pressure to the injectors via the common rail.

Have you had the car code read?

Post #401199 16th Dec 2020 8:24 pm
AndyHarding

United Kingdom 

Thank you both for the replies. I have had someone come out and run diagnostics on it but they couldn't find any codes and they advised me it was the in tank pump. As this has been changed and I know when I primed it there wasn't any air in the system but the car still wouldn't go I'm guessing my problem must lie with the injector pump then

Post #401202 16th Dec 2020 10:26 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Your quote from the manual sounds as though it’s referring to the petrol engine, which does use an electric lift pump. The diesel, as you’ve discovered, doesn’t with the in-tank pump simply moving fuel across the saddle. The diesel uses a mechanical high pressure pump which is driven from the end of the exhaust camshaft. There have been cases in early cars where the camshaft has broken at the pump end, resulting in no drive to the pump, so that’s something to check if yours is an early car. Other than that the pumps themselves seem pretty reliable.

Post #401220 17th Dec 2020 11:53 am
AndyHarding

United Kingdom 

Thanks Pab, it is a 57 plate and I think I did see a thread about a thin wall on the camshaft breaking and a revised unit now being available. I'll get the pump off and check for that. Thank you again for the advice

Post #401230 17th Dec 2020 2:37 pm
brom

Romania 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Kosrae Green
Been there done that

Hi,

I'd like to make an observation. If the pump in the diesel tank fails from some reson, there is no signaling for the driver. As a result after a period, the part of the tank for engine supply get empty. The gauge shows that there is diesel in the tank wich is true but in the wrong place
I don't know how to check this pump without open the tank, but you can do this first.

Top the fuel tank
Prime filter
Put a transparent hose from filter to high pressure pump.
Crank the engine and if you see diesel flowing in the transparent tube high pressure pump is ok sucking fuel . replace transparent tube.
Crank the engine and bleed one or two injectors if the battery is good, bleed all four.
Crank the engine till the engine starts. Idle one minute, stop wait and crank again and idle 5 min. Erase error codes and you are all set.
Worked for me. The mechanic first said bad high pressure pump then injectors. So, that pump in the tank can give you a bad headache if you don t know what it is for.
Good luck

Post #401297 18th Dec 2020 8:05 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1