« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Steering Wheel Alignment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
landieguy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Stornoway Grey
Steering Wheel Alignment

Hi - has anyone noticed on their FL2's any anomalies with the alignment of the steering wheel when driving straight ahead. My HST on Continental tyres seems to have a slight bias of the wheel to the offside. This seems worse when driving on a heavily cambered road when the steering wheel has to be kept slightly turned clockwise off centre to keep the vehicle going straight ahead. Removing the hands from the wheel sees the vehicle drifting towards the kerb. Driving on a flat surface, the steering wheel seems to be sitting in the correct position.
I have noted that road tests of the FL2 have commented on the light steering and the need to keep correcting the steering when on motorways etc. Thought I would get feedback from the forum before having any possible alignment problems checked. Trying to maximise tyre life as best possible and avoid costly replacements for as long as possible.
Very pleased with vehicle so far - a huge step forward on the two HSE FL1's I previousl;y owned.[b][/b][b][/b]

Post #40745 19th Apr 2009 10:04 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I am absolutely anal about steering wheel alignment and pull on the steering.

With the FL2 I have found the factory steering alignment to be spot on, it is certainly light around the centre, i.e. it is easily pulled off line by road camber. Frequently I have found that I am applying a slight correction to the right, but this usually this because of the natural camber on UK roads. Given that I have recently changed tyres for the first time at just short of 55k miles, when the original tyres had all worn with remarkable even wear, then I can only deduce that the wheel alignment was spot on. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #40753 20th Apr 2009 12:00 am
Rowy

Me too Avtur, I need my steering wheel spot on-33k miles still straight as a die! I never go up/down or even touch Kerbs and Always dodge pot holes.

My BMW 840ci needed 4 wheel computerised steering alignment every 6k miles-and I never ever touched a kerb or pot hole.

Post #40787 20th Apr 2009 6:59 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1