Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Heated windscreen stuck on!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Philip16storm

United Kingdom 
Heated windscreen stuck on!

Hi all, I think my heated screen is stuck on, just had a new one fitted as my old heated screen didn't work (all but maybe 2 strands) didn't work. On my way home tonight I let the car steam up, all windows but the screen where almost impossible to see out of but the screen (apart from bottom corners where there are no elements) stayed perfectly clear! Heater was turned off completely! Any suggestions? I am thinking the old windscreen had been jammed in and maybe burned out and certainly don't want that happening to the new one!

Post #400701 4th Dec 2020 6:36 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

From memory on mine when the temp dropped below about 6 degrees the heated screen comes on automatically although the dashboard switch does not light up. Thumbs Up

Post #400705 4th Dec 2020 8:28 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

(Philip I think this is your Car Profile - I am a first time Freelander owner (many many other landrovers tho!) and picked my 07 i6 up yesterday)

Not sure about whether you have 'Programmed Defrost' on your car, which will also select heated windshield, but other than that I think only the dash board switch controls the heating element. I believe only the wing mirror heating elements are automatic.

Below you will notice that the heat should turn off after 4 minutes anyway. You should be able to check when voltage is supplied at the 2 (LH & RH screen sides) fuses.

Windshield Heater
The windshield heater comprises 2 heater elements, LH and RH, bonded between the glass laminations. The system is
switched on by pressing the momentary switch located on the control panel. When selected, the ATC module transmits a
heating request on the high speed CAN bus to the CJB. On receipt of the message, the CJB energizes the windshield heater
relay located in the BJB by providing a ground path for the relay coil. The energized relay provides a battery feed to both
heater elements. After a period of 4 minutes the ATC module removes the request for windshield heating. The CJB then
powers down the windshield heater by removing the ground path for the relay coil.
The ATC module will only request windshield heater operation if the engine is running. An engine status signal is provided to
the ATC module by the ECM over the high speed CAN bus.

Exterior Mirror Heaters
Operation of the exterior mirror heaters is fully automatic and requires no input from the driver. The exterior mirror heaters
are active when the ambient air temperature is below 5°C (41°F) and engine coolant temperature is below 65°C (149°F).
Ambient air and engine coolant temperature values are provided by the ECM on the high speed CAN bus. On receipt of these
temperature values, the CJB determines if exterior mirror heating is required.
The CJB requests exterior mirror heating by transmitting a high speed CAN bus message to both the drivers and passenger
door modules. The door modules provide feed and ground paths to the respective exterior mirror heating elements. When
ambient and engine coolant temperature rises above the values stated earlier, the CJB transmits a high speed CAN bus
message to the door modules cancelling the heating request.
 FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #400707 4th Dec 2020 9:07 pm
Philip16storm

United Kingdom 

Thank you for a very clear answer, I will stick the multimeter on the fuses tomorrow and see what's going on in there!
P.s very nice choice, mine is also a 07 i6! Only had it since June and love it so far

Post #400709 4th Dec 2020 9:59 pm
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

dondiddy wrote:
From memory on mine when the temp dropped below about 6 degrees the heated screen comes on automatically although the dashboard switch does not light up. Thumbs Up
ditto!

Post #400745 5th Dec 2020 10:30 pm
Delboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

That’s normal. A very useful function imho. Derek Hill
2009 FL2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #400758 6th Dec 2020 7:24 am
IanMetro

Just tried my Heated Windshield first thing this morning.

Temp 3C
Windscreen Heavily Misted but not Frosty
Car Started from cold, but stationary.
A/C Off, Climate Control Auto.

The Heated Windshield did not come on until I manually switched it on, although the normal heater/blower system cleared a lot of the internal mist.
After about 10 minutes I switched on Heated Windshield and immediately the 'square' covered by the elements showed to be clearing inside and out. Steam started to rise from the outside. After about 4 minutes the screen (and its indicating light) switched itself off.

One thing I noticed was how quickly and efficiently the electric heater in the main heating/blower system came on even though the water temperature gauge had not moved off zero.
That and the 'Programmed Heating Switch' are amongst the gems of the FL2.

EDIT - Please see below - I tried this again on colder morning Temp 2C.
Heated Windshield and Mirrors came on automatically.
 FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Last edited by IanMetro on 30th Dec 2020 11:36 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #400763 6th Dec 2020 11:00 am
O-B-Wan003

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I’ve also noticed on cold mornings the heated windscreen comes on automatically and clears the screen when misted up. Thought that very strange until now. I always run on full auto. Handy feature!

Post #400803 6th Dec 2020 6:23 pm
IanMetro

Just tried my Heated Windshield again first thing this morning.

Temp 2C
Windscreen Heavily Misted but not Frosty
A/C Off, Climate Control Off, Blower Off Manual.

My Heated Windshield and Heated Door Mirrors came on automatically without any intervention from me.

It looks as if the Windshield Heater is switched on by the same logic as the Heated Mirrors.

Indeed a useful and largely unnoticed feature.

I could not see any similar action to the Heated Rear Window, which stayed off.

Tried it again on another day, and noticed that the heated windshield doesn't come on immediately, and then one half at a time.

Temp -1C
Windscreen Iced up
A/C Off, Climate Control Off, Blower Off Manual.

Heated Door Mirror came on and cleared mist/ice, Windshield still iced up.

After several minutes the Passenger-side Heated Windshield came on and cleared screen, Driver half of Windshield still definitely off.
After another couple of minutes Drivers-side Heated Windshield came on and cleared screen.

As far as I could see there was a definite sequence to the automatic operation of the Mirrors and each half of the Windscreen. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #401860 30th Dec 2020 11:35 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1