Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Intermittent Non Starting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Thanks for adding your own experience Ch4ppie. That is a great contribution for your first post!!

Your experience and head scratching has absolutely matched my own. I think that your eventual diagnosis is exactly correct with regard to the solenoid plunger rotating and therefore giving an intermittently good/bad connection. I guess that your solenoid repair was a lot cheaper than my own full starter motor replacement as well!!

Interestingly, the LR Indy who fixed it, anticipating lengthy diagnostic investigations had warned that it may be 3 - 4 weeks before they could get to it, but as soon as he heard the clicking solenoid, knew exactly what the problem was and car was back the next day!!

Steve

Post #423982 8th Aug 2022 10:35 am
Bumpf

Australia 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Indus Silver

I have found exactly the same cause of starting issues as CH4PPIE ie worn and pitted contacts in the starter motor solenoid.

I had intermittent starting issues for 4 months during which I always managed to get it to start after multiple tries but it was not its usual start first time. The sequence of actions before finding the issues were:

I found the negative battery terminal was loose despite the clamp bolt being tight (a distorted clamp fixed by filing the surfaces that meet at around the tightening bolt hole). This made things better for a while.

Then I found I could get it started by using a jump lead between the negative battery terminal and the gear box. So I fitted the 'second earth' from the battery negative terminal direct to the starter motor as detailed in another thread. This fixed it for a while but it got progressively worse again.

So I bought a solenoid refurb kit on ebay for $40. This weekend I removed the starter motor and stripped the solenoid and the cause of the starting problem was obvious.

Technically what I had experienced was high resistance in the starter circuit (cables, terminals, solenoid etc) causing a lack of current to flow to the starter motor. The battery terminal fix and second earth reduced the circuit resistance in each case so improving the starting temporarily. However the solenoid contacts were continuing to get progressively worse ie resistance increasing.

Removing and replacing the Starter Motor is relatively simple. There is a YouTube by Riley's Autos that has good info, but you don't have to remove the radiator hose or the top air pipe as he does. The airbox simply unclips if you pull it straight up but disconnect the clip to the air pipe and undo air sensor plug first.

Best tip he gives is to remove the 8mm bolt that holds the cable clip just below the starter. This enables you to move the thick bundle of cables out of the way to get to the starter motor bolts.

This YouTube video shows how to overhaul the solenoid: . I recommend you carefully clean the dirt out of the solenoid with brake cleaner fluid on a rag.

Last edited by Bumpf on 14th Oct 2023 9:56 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #431195 26th Mar 2023 5:38 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Thanks. Ive put that video in my slowing enlarging bank of "things that might go wrong"
Laughing Jules

Post #431233 28th Mar 2023 11:11 am
AndyP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

A good bet is to replace them same time as the cam belt. Since the starter has to be taken off, the incremental time is small. If you get others to do the change, get the kit off eBay 1st and take it in when the work is scheduled

Post #431296 30th Mar 2023 2:16 pm
Madmustang

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Bumpf wrote:
I have found exactly the same cause of starting issues as CH4PPIE ie worn and pitted contacts in the starter motor solenoid.

I had intermittent starting issues for 4 months during which I always managed to get it to start after multiple tries but it was not its usual start first time. The sequence of actions before finding the issues were:

I found the negative battery terminal was lose despite the clamp bolt being tight (a distorted clamp fixed by filing the surfaces that meet at around the tightening bolt hole). This made things better for a while.

Then I found I could get it started by using a jump lead between the negative battery terminal and the gear box. So I fitted the 'second earth' from the battery negative terminal direct to the starter motor as detailed in another thread. This fixed it for a while but it got progressively worse again.

So I bought a solenoid refurb kit on ebay for $40. This weekend I removed the starter motor and stripped the solenoid and the cause of the starting problem was obvious.

Technically what I had experienced was high resistance in the starter circuit (cables, terminals, solenoid etc) causing a lack of current to flow to the starter motor. The battery terminal fix and second earth reduced the circuit resistance in each case so improving the starting temporarily. However the solenoid contacts were continuing to get progressively worse ie resistance increasing.

Removing and replacing the Starter Motor is relatively simple. There is a YouTube by Riley's Autos that has good info, but you don't have to remove the radiator hose or the top air pipe as he does. The airbox simply unclips if you pull it straight up but disconnect the clip to the air pipe and undo air sensor plug first.

Best tip he gives is to remove the 8mm bolt that holds the cable clip just below the starter. This enables you to move the thick bundle of cables out of the way to get to the starter motor bolts.

This YouTube video shows how to overhaul the solenoid: . I recommend you carefully clean the dirt out of the solenoid with brake cleaner fluid on a rag.

I just did this on my 2007 TD4, Got a kit off eBay for about £25, It was easy enough with a few sockets and bendy spanners, I didn’t have to remove any pipes just shoved things out of the way. The starter just about squeezes passed the RAD and engine. I will note that I had no clicking solenoid sounds when trying to start the thing and when I swapped the parts they old ones looked ok and decent. I did note also on fitting the battery that one of the positive cables which joins with another bit of positive cable with a nut and bolt was very loose and I did wonder if that was my starting issue all alone…

Post #431387 3rd Apr 2023 5:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12