« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Terrain Response System Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver
Terrain Response System Failure

Just thought I'd resurrect this topic with some new information that may help others.
As I mentioned in another post I've been having some issues with cold starting. As the car is over 10 years old decided to replace the original MAF and MAP sensors, always keep them clean but after 10years you never know.
First off replaced the MAF sensor. Tried starting the car from cold, appeared to be lots better.
Next replaced the MAP sensor. Started the car, not a lot of difference but then got the 'Terrane Response Fault' message on the dash and the light on the rotary selector was off.
Assumed something wrong with the new sensor so exchanged it with the original.
Started car again, no error message and Terrain Response System working again. Have ordered a new MAP sensor.
Don't know what the MAP sensor has to do with the Terrain Response System but hopefully someone with more knowledge will jump in and explaine.

So if your T.R.S. goes off, try replacing the MAP sensor. You never know. Thumbs Up Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #400353 25th Nov 2020 12:16 pm
alex_pescaru

Some error codes from when the dash message appeared would have been useful...
TR error could appear because of engine ECU error.

Post #400355 25th Nov 2020 12:58 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red
Re: Terrain Response System Failure

gasman wrote:
Just thought I'd resurrect this topic with some new information that may help others.
As I mentioned in another post I've been having some issues with cold starting. As the car is over 10 years old decided to replace the original MAF and MAP sensors, always keep them clean but after 10years you never know.
First off replaced the MAF sensor. Tried starting the car from cold, appeared to be lots better.
Next replaced the MAP sensor. Started the car, not a lot of difference but then got the 'Terrane Response Fault' message on the dash and the light on the rotary selector was off.
Assumed something wrong with the new sensor so exchanged it with the original.
Started car again, no error message and Terrain Response System working again. Have ordered a new MAP sensor.
Don't know what the MAP sensor has to do with the Terrain Response System but hopefully someone with more knowledge will jump in and explaine.

So if your T.R.S. goes off, try replacing the MAP sensor. You never know. Thumbs Up

Have you run the MAF replacement routine on SDD? There's a routine to configure a new MAF to the ECU.

If the ECU doesn't receive correct information from various engine sensors, it'll give a code, and put the ECU into limp mode, which will deactivate TR. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #400356 25th Nov 2020 1:57 pm
gasman

Thanks Alex and Nodge.
Never thought to look for error codes. Also didn't know about setting it up with SDD, thought it would be a straight swap.
I do have access to SDD but know very little about it at the moment. I'll have a look and see if it has any new codes. Going to get a replacement MAP anyway and fit that.
Still find it odd though how it affects TR. Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #400361 25th Nov 2020 4:29 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Resetting the replacement in the SDD aside. I wonder if sensors are checked at the factory by manufacturers as part of their quality control.

Or is there a door in the factory with a bold sign on it that says

TESTING AND QUALITY CONTROL

On opening the door and stepping through you find yourself in the outside world

Post #400368 25th Nov 2020 6:48 pm
gasman

Quality Control.

You mean check one in every thousand Whistle Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #400401 26th Nov 2020 11:16 am
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

I replaced my MAF with a used genuine one that came with a used genuine airbox. No issues, no codes but I did not know I can reconfigure the MAF with SDD. It's now on my list!

Post #400416 26th Nov 2020 10:59 pm
gasman

Checked for error codes with SDD, none listed, other than those that were already there.

As for configuration of new MAF in SDD couldn't find a procedure. Would appreciate any guidance on where to find it. Baring in mind I am new to the software.

Haven't managed to fit a new MAP sensor yet as the good old post office has managed to loose my parcel. They did however have the decency to send an email to confirm their incompetence. Evil or Very Mad Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #400448 27th Nov 2020 9:42 pm
gasman

Cleaned throttle body and fitted new MAP sensor today and run the throttle body calibration in SDD.
More info on my other post 'Help with SDD' as these appear to be merging in to one. Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #400482 28th Nov 2020 5:19 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1