« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > All Change at JLR?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White
All Change at JLR?

This weeks Autocar contains an article that follows on from this one discusing the future plans of the new JLR CEO Thierry Bollore.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-car...er-changes

They say that a new "Lean, Focused Line Up" of cars is on it's way and say that the following cars are under threat of being dropped.
Jaguar XE & XF
Jaguar XJ
Jaguar J-Pace & LR Road Rover
Land Rover Discovery
Jaguar E-Pace

I have yet to fully understand the reasons (or the published article) but it seems that they have realised that there is too much overlap between both Jaguar and Land Rover, and more importantly their respective ranges.

As an example, I think that the new Defender may have finished off the need for the Discovery, likewise duplication amongst the E-Pace and Discovery Sport/Evoque will kill the E-Pace.

They mention that investment in chassis architecture may be cut back, and I wonder if this is to do with the projected tie up with BMW.
https://media.jaguarlandrover.com/news/201...%20future.

So perhaps we may soon be all driving around in a BMW with a different radiator badge. (For those who remember a bit like the ancient BMC days again)

PS I am working on becoming "Lean and Focused" to suit my future LR. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #399746 11th Nov 2020 4:41 pm
3landertwo

I have to say " About Bl**dy Time" !!!

Post #399750 11th Nov 2020 5:15 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

The good old days of badge engineering? Bow down
It didnt work for Morris / Austin / Riley / Wolseley / MG 50 years ago.

Its really not surprising in the current climate that sales of big luxury saloons are taking a bashing, the market is driven towards SUV as the in vogue family car (which replaced the family car - saloon or hatchback).
I never understood why Jaguar felt the need to make the E pace or indeed why Landover produced the Velar, cars which are trying to carve out a niche where there is really no market.
I can see why the new Defender would push the Discovery off the sales charts, it really is more akin to the original Discovery design philosophy, something you wouldnt mind throwing a muddy mountain bike or letting a damp dog get into.
The profusion of similarly sized models really doesnt make sense and the costs involved must be hard to justify. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #399752 11th Nov 2020 5:22 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

JLR have been stuck with marketing problems for some time and has struggled at times to find an appropriate niche for its vehicles.
Although its nice to see JLR bringing out new vehicles one has to say that last thing the world needs is the new Defender being used as a kid carrier for the school run - its massive, its very heavy, it has awful fuel consumption - its utter madness. Jules

Post #399822 12th Nov 2020 7:24 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Not if it's the hybrid, it has just enough amps to do the school run Laughing my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #399825 12th Nov 2020 8:19 pm
3landertwo

..... you would need to live next door to the school Laughing

only does 17mls on a fully charged battery.

Post #399827 12th Nov 2020 8:47 pm
jules

Do you have to drive the new Defender Hybrid like Miss Daisy to keep it in EV only mode or can you prevent the ICE from cutting in with a switch etc ?

My friend has a hybrid Yaris and the ICE switches on within a few yards of her setting off (and she doesnt put her foot down hard either) - seems a bit pointless to me. Jules

Post #399829 12th Nov 2020 9:12 pm
jules

3landertwo wrote:
..... you would need to live next door to the school Laughing

only does 17mls on a fully charged battery.

How long does it take to charge up from flat to full using 240v AC ? I've no idea. Just wondered, if you lived 8 mile from school, would you have enough time to get it fully charged at home ready for the morning school run after picking the kids up at say 4pm ? Jules

Post #399830 12th Nov 2020 9:18 pm
3landertwo

The 'old' British car industry has not gone away. Those of you who thought in disappeared with the fall of Rover, are very much deluded.

The 'old' British car industry is still alive and well in JLR. I have seen the evidence, I have spoken to the source, it still exists.

Post #399831 12th Nov 2020 10:09 pm
Volrider

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Firenze Red

Seems crazy to lose the entire Jaguar brand?? The XF is a very competent car as is the F pace and I pace, cutting these and keeping the Big Range rover line up which is very confusing and various models overlap and lets face it are very expensive for what you get. Maybe he should look at making the brand more attainable than making more exclusive! 2014 Freelander 2 XS TD4
Firenze Red

Post #399836 13th Nov 2020 7:16 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Indeed, an entry level model starting in the low to mid £20k bracket would be ideal and a big volume seller. They could call it something like, I don't know....Freelander 🤔 Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #399837 13th Nov 2020 7:47 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Volrider wrote:
Seems crazy to lose the entire Jaguar brand?? The XF is a very competent car as is the F pace and I pace, cutting these and keeping the Big Range rover line up which is very confusing and various models overlap and lets face it are very expensive for what you get. Maybe he should look at making the brand more attainable than making more exclusive!

What I am beginning to wonder is, if JLR collaborate with the much bigger BMW empire, they will become an arm of BMW providing SUVs and Sports Cars.

Just as Rolls Royce is the super luxury arm of BMW, Jaguar could leave sports saloons to BMW and produce sports cars for BMW, and likewise BMW could use Land Rover to produce its SUVs.

Along the lines of this older article.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industr...w-platform FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #399839 13th Nov 2020 8:33 am
Dartman the one

England 

I would suggest the collaboration would be limited to the floor pan as most most collaborations are along with some shared engines, there are many cars running about built on the same architecture that look nothing like each other. Rolls Royce is a different case, BMW only lease the name but own the factory they are built within a tight set of conditions, the real RR factory still exists owned by VAG with many of the old RR staff. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #399841 13th Nov 2020 8:51 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Good riddance to Jaguar, it’s been a parasite living off the profits of the Land Rover volume sales such as the Freelander, Ewok and DS for years. There’s no way it could afford to develop the likes of the Epace based on the sales of the saloons it was selling Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #399887 14th Nov 2020 6:51 pm
Volrider

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Firenze Red

I cannot see the sense of saying "good riddance" to a historic British marque. Losing Jaguar is taking British heritage off our roads to be replaced by soulless German metal Sad 2014 Freelander 2 XS TD4
Firenze Red

Post #399897 14th Nov 2020 10:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>