Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > My FL2 struggles to accelerate and move forward on road
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Srijith

India 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Fuji White
My FL2 struggles to accelerate and move forward on road

Dear friends,
I am from India and I have a 2013 model FL2, HSE, SD4, clocked 1,30,000 kms. She is perfectly maintained with and perfect service records from JLR India network. Only major complaint so far she had was Power steering failure due to some leak and replaced faulty components at JLR.
As my JLR Service Centre is in another state, and due to travel restrictions of COVID 19 I avoided a long journey, and did the due service of 1,30,000 from a nearby Multi brand Mechanical Centre with all modern facilities in my city. I think they did a satisfactory job, at a better cost, but I am not sure whether they used all genuine JLR filters and accessories.
Everything went on fine for 3-4 days, but after that, when I drove in day time and good traffic, she failed to gain power and I was not confident to overtake a slow moving vehicle. Also put me to 3-4 embarrassing situations where she refused to move forward from stand still, especially if there was a hump or an ascend in front. But back to normal soon in 2-3 minutes, and drives normally till next episode in 4-5 kms.
Is it a serious issue like Mechatronic failure or an issue related to the non genuine fuel filter as mentioned in one of the previous posts in our forum?
Thanks for your kind advise.

Post #399950 15th Nov 2020 7:44 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

The Freelander is a Frankenstein, a bit of Ford, Volvo etc. Find a good local mechanic. I have always used an independent mechanic, the same one since the 1980s. He has passed on the business & the new owner I feel very happy with.

My mechanic does use Land Rover original parts in general as the price is basically the same, but at the end of the day most of these parts are simply badge engineering.

Find a local mechanic that you can build up long term trust with. They will show you what they have replaced when you pick the car up. Phone you if they find anything that you had not asked to be done.

In Australia probably the issue would be the actual fuel. Crap fuel or algae growing in diesel. My car uses petrol so doesn't have these issues.

Anyway, find a local mechanic & build up a good respectful relationship for each other & it will make your life easier. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #399953 15th Nov 2020 8:27 pm
Srijith

Thanks dear friend, shall follow your advise. Fuel quality used to be better these days in India. Any way, have you ever noticed in the forum or among fellow owners, that our model of FL2 is prone for Torque converter/Mechatronic failures as early as 1,30,000kms? In fact 2013 model in india corresponds with 2010 model ie, just before the signature head lamp and DTR model.
Thanks again.

Post #399967 16th Nov 2020 3:14 am
Grue

New Zealand 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

An OBD2 reader is pretty handy to see basic engine error codes.

I'd be pretty suspicious that is was something from the service as it happened a few days afterwards. I'd be dropping it back there if was me for them to give it a look over.

Post #399968 16th Nov 2020 3:42 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

The first thing you should check that the fuel filter (if it has been changed) is a genuine LR one. There are numerous cases on this forum where a non LR filter causes problems especially if the car is going into reduced power mode. This used to happen to me when I went up a hill at speed and a new filter fixed it. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #399973 16th Nov 2020 10:24 am
Grue

New Zealand 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

Genuine filters are pretty few and far between in my country as well (unless you want to pay with your first born..).

Might be worth for next time ordering in from the UK to give to your local garage to fit rather than trust what they've got on the shelf.

Post #400022 16th Nov 2020 9:48 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

My mechanic has ordered 2 of each at a time reduce delivery charge a bit, I have paid for them last year.

All the other things I have bought for the car, roof rack, trim panel clips etc, I order directly from England, sponsors are at the bottom of the website! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #400032 17th Nov 2020 11:00 am
alex_pescaru

For warmer countries, just plug the filter return lines and redirect the return from the rail and injectors directly to tank, without passing it through the filter.
In this way you can avoid the fuel heating issue with non genuine filters and you can use whatever filter you can get.
But again, just for warmer countries, where the ambient temperature will not drop below 10 deg.C.

Post #400047 17th Nov 2020 2:50 pm
Srijith

Hai friends,
Managed to get my fuel filter replaced with an OE one and now the issue is rectified. Shall pass on this to my fellow FL2 owners and they can learn from my experience.
Thank you all for the kind suggestions and guidances.
Srijith.

Post #400061 17th Nov 2020 7:51 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

alex_pescaru wrote:
For warmer countries, just plug the filter return lines and redirect the return from the rail and injectors directly to tank, without passing it through the filter.
In this way you can avoid the fuel heating issue with non genuine filters and you can use whatever filter you can get.
But again, just for warmer countries, where the ambient temperature will not drop below 10 deg.C.

This is good to know! I will print and file this post! Thumbs Up

Post #400063 17th Nov 2020 11:03 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1