Home > Maintenance & Modifications > MY2013 LED Headlight Conversion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
MY07FL2

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Firenze Red
MY2013 LED Headlight Conversion

Hello all,

I know this subject has been covered in great detail in regards to Xenon HID conversion, however in researching this subject to upgrade the projection headlights with LED signature on a FL2 Dynamic, I Cool found that there is now a viable LED alternative

Link found here.

Anyone know or have any experience of these or should I just go with HID's ?

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/hb3-twen...-pair.html

Post #398630 20th Oct 2020 1:15 pm
congoblue

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Loire Blue

I have got one of their HID conversion kits in my MY14 halogen headlights and it works really well because they have positioned the arc of the lamp exactly where the filament was on the HB3's so the beam shape is exactly like it was with the halogen lamp.

Looking at those LED ones in the link, 2 of the 3 LED's are going to be off-centre with the projector optics in the headlamp so I would expect the beam shape and evenness of light to have some problems.

Do a review with pictures if you try them - it would be interesting to see what happens...

Post #398633 20th Oct 2020 1:32 pm
MY07FL2

thank you for the swift response.

Do you have any problems switching from High beam to dipped or vice versa or flashing others (just to alert them of your presence lol) Laughing

In other words speed of switching

Post #398634 20th Oct 2020 1:40 pm
congoblue

High beam / dipped is done with a mechanical shutter on these headlights - it's the same bulb - so they switch instantly. Flashing people during the daytime seems to work OK, they give quite a bright flash when first powered up then drop to about 50% and warm up over about 20 seconds, but seems to be visible enough for people to understand.

Also I was told that it would fail MOT with aftermarket HID lamps but it passed its MOT with no comment - the control gear all fits inside the headlamp housing so you can't really tell it has been modified.

Post #398635 20th Oct 2020 1:53 pm
Aveling

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

More importantly for those when you read the tech info - they're not E marked / road legal

Post #398637 20th Oct 2020 1:59 pm
congoblue

I don't think any of their "upgrade" lamps are E marked or road legal. You are not fitting the correct lamp which the headlamp units were designed for so I would not really expect that.

I did take a lot of care to make sure that the beam pattern and alignment was exactly right after swapping the lamps as I didn't want to be one of those people who fit trendy hid replacement lamps and go round blinding everyone on the road.

Post #398639 20th Oct 2020 2:14 pm
Aveling

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

Many do though - that's the problem.
As long as their car looks cool - sod anyone coming the other way, or sat in front of them.

Post #398643 20th Oct 2020 4:26 pm
congoblue

Yes unfortunately, though you would think the MOT alignment check would pick them up.

I was just hoping for a bit more brightness as I found the halogen headlights a bit dim, and they work well for that.

Post #398644 20th Oct 2020 6:15 pm
MY07FL2

I agree, hence why I'm taking the time to make sure whatever I choose is the right one.

After chatting to ABD they insist that the LED's will work and perform to the same standard of the HID's

I'm just concerned about trying something that I can't find any confirmation on, and there is no information from others who may have tried them.

So I may just go for the HID and shy away from the LED, unless I can maybe do a deal where I can swap out and exchange if they dont work as well.

I will keep you all updated after I take the vehicle to ABD next week

Post #398655 20th Oct 2020 8:06 pm
congoblue

It would be very interesting to see some before and after pics of the headlights shining on a wall or something - that shows up the beam pattern and evenness quite well.

Post #398663 20th Oct 2020 9:37 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I tried a set of LEDs in my halogen projector lens. Despite being able to rotate the LEDS in the lamp unit I was unable to produce a satisfactory beam pattern. I returned for a full refund.

There are threads on here which demonstrate good beam pattern with LEDs - I just never got around to trying another set after the new MOT rules came in. Jules

Post #398664 20th Oct 2020 9:55 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

congoblue wrote:
Yes unfortunately, though you would think the MOT alignment check would pick them up.

It will. And it will be a fail if the tester is doing his job properly. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #398671 21st Oct 2020 10:30 am
DEG5Y

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Can't pass comment on the ones in the opening post but I can vouch for these;
https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collectio...ped-glb477

I have a pair fitted in my Honda CBR1100xx Super Blackbird Motorcycle and can't speak highly enough about them.

These have a separate control circuit in a box on the lead, which is why I hadn't yet fitted any in the Freelander.

BUT
The latest version they sell;
https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collectio...ped-glb477

Has the control circuit built into the bulb body. I have, only recently fitted these into my Honda VFR 1200x Crosstourer Motorcycle and they so far seem to be as good as the others.

My intention is to buy another pair to put into (just) the main beam (initially)

And check out the price!!

ps. I did a lot of homework before I put them in the bike especially as I was removing a HID conversion I had previously fitted. Now as CONGOBLUE mentions the LED's in these do perfectly match the filament position of the bulb they replace.

Post #398699 21st Oct 2020 6:56 pm
christopher

I've got these fitted and I'm happy with them. The total throw (long distance) isn't anywhere near as good as proper xenons, however, much better than the halogen bulbs that came as standard.

Lots of comments in various threads, e.g. https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic34723.html 

Post #398706 21st Oct 2020 7:50 pm
MY07FL2

Update .....

So I have been to ABD and spoke at length to the staff there outlining my concerns re beam pattern and spread.

I have spent the last week reading and re reading post after post, and still couldn't make my mind up as everyone has a valid opinion and one moment I'm discounting the LED's for HID the next im going back to LED.

So decision made. I spoke to the fitter, we spoke about the advantages of both over the other and I was assured that the LED's if fitted correctly will give a similar pattern and spread to the HID and colour temperature aside it boiled down to lumen output.

They then said that if they fit them and I am unhappy, then they will do an exchange or part ex them for HID's so I thought I would take the plunge and go for the LED's and report back to you all.

I cannot do a before and after as would you believe that I went out last night to take the pictures, and the nearside HB3 had blown!!!
I was not going to buy another as I was swapping out today.

Anyway ABD fitted the LED's and it took about an hour or so.

I went out to inspect the lights before I Paid and OMG what a difference 6000k white and match the Signature DRL exactly.
Beam pattern I have been assured is the same as the Halogen HB3 that was removed.
The big difference is the speed that they flash and switch on, as opposed to the HID's these are instant.

so all I now need to do is wait for it to get dark and go and try them out.... I'm very nervous but hopeful and I will take pictures for you all.

Will keep you posted 2013 SD4 Dynamic Firenze Red
2007 TD4 HSE Zermatt Silver 184,500 miles - Gone

Post #399030 28th Oct 2020 1:44 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>