Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > FREELANDER 2 2013 TESLA STYLE RADIO HELP NEEDED.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Wesleyst

Belgium 
FREELANDER 2 2013 TESLA STYLE RADIO HELP NEEDED.

Hi all.

I hope some one can help me with a problem I'm having that's lasting for 6months now.

I own my Freelander 2 for 4years now. The standard radio I had was not my taste and very simple. In the picture you can see the dashboard I have.

After owning this awhile I searched online for radios. I came to the conclusion that my model/year did not gave any great results for radios. I then found Open Auto Pro from blue wave studios. This uses a costum build software to run of a raspberry pi. So I soon started a cool project to have a radio made from a raspberry pi and a 7inch screen. This turned out great and I had a lot of fun with it for a while. But it was not always user friendly because the raspberry was connected via audio of the original radio. When using bluetooth or usb it was nice but listing to fm radio was not great as I could not see the station I had on. (I had placed the original screen in the dashboard) and volume was not visible on the screen. As you can see below this was after the project was done

Then one night I was shopping on aliexpress and saw the Tesla style radios. All claimed it fitted for models from 2007-2015. I messaged some sellers with some pictures of it would work. All said it would except on. He said he wanted to help me out. After some long conversations we had an agreement. I send him my dashboard and pay for the shipping. He would make me a free Tesla style dashboard radio and send everything back and I pay shipping. So this was right before covid-19 started. Well it was ik china already but not in my country. I then new my country would go in lock down so I send my package because I would not need my car. 2weeks shipping became 1.5month. 1month of work became 2months. Finally it was done. The radio was done. The seller told me he made a 10.1i'ch screen and not the 13.4inch as promised because he some how knew it might not work. He shipped everything the package arrived. It was very excited because all the connectors fitted perfectly. Then the troubles started. All the buttons like lock, unlock, warning blinkers, eco, and esp worked perfect but the radio would not turn on. I got in contacted again and talked to some engineers from the seller. I did some test. Conclusion they could no help and need to visit me to check the canbus because it was not communicating correctly with my car. After some time the contact was lost and got tired of waiting. Talked with some people and one said the canbus of my car (facelift) was way different that's why it won't work. He said check ali because they have them for you're car. So went on ali again. Send a lot of sellers. One gained my trust and bought a 13.4 inch that would definitely work on my car. Shipping went way longer than promised and they did not ship from Germany but from china. So I paid 35 euro extra for nothing. When it arrived I was excited again. Opened the pacakge to see a 10.1 inch screen again. Looked the same as the first I have. Tested it and yes again not working. Talked to the seller and talk to his/hers engineer send him a video and.pictures and they said it's the wrong canbus box. They would send me another model. Again waited 3weeks and today got the box. Connected the box and again sad to say it still did not work.. I contacted them again. Said they can't do anything and need to come over to check. So now I'm frustrated and don't know what to do anymore as it's been 6months that I had a radio in my car. My project with pi screen got broken with transport. So now orderd a raspberry and screen again but some how I want the Tesla style radio to work. And I find it strange that it's not working. I have 2pieces now and can't do anything with them... Any one have experience with this or can help me? Below you can see the 10.1 inch screen..

Thanks in advance

Post #397984 6th Oct 2020 7:13 pm
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Pre-facelift CANbus is very different to post facelift.

Will the supplier change the code if you give them the correct field for the signals they use?

Another option is to make a signal adapter to change the new signals of the car to old signals the unit expects. It could be quite a big project!

Post #398020 7th Oct 2020 10:47 pm
CED

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Bali Blue

Call me sad , but I’ve no idea why anyone bothers with all this crap . The danger of doing serious damage is always possible as has been shown in recent threads . If the radio is such a problem that you need all this garbage, buy a car with the coloured lights already fitted.

Post #398025 8th Oct 2020 8:17 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Agree.

The latter Freelander has an understated dashboard, subtle style & class, then one wants to put the equivalent of a mirror ball in the middle!

If you want to improve the Freelander change the things that are not seen.

That's my rant!

P.S. Don't break a mirror ball or you will have 7000 years bad luck! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #398026 8th Oct 2020 8:30 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I tend to agree although it's interesting, having been on this forum a for a number of years, to see how we now seem to be attracting more people prepared to play around at a low level with some of the FL2's onboard systems. A friend of mine was told by his insurance company that if he painted his Jaguar XE calipers red then his insurance would increase. I wonder what they would make of mods like some of these? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #398029 8th Oct 2020 9:18 am
CED

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Bali Blue

And then there’s the whistling through the teeth and head shaking from your local Aurther Daley when you roll up to trade it in !

Post #398030 8th Oct 2020 9:46 am
Wesleyst

Belgium 

I thought this forum was for sharing things and helping each other out.. so all you guys have stock freelanders? No changes ? No mods? Buy any car you want you can costumize it how you want. I like my car how it is, could be better with the radio. For others it might not be.. Now lets talk about budget. You think at age 23 you can buy any car you want without taking a loan? If I had the budget and had alot of money I could maybe buy a 'better' car , a 'more good-looking car. I posted this to see if people with experience could help me out, or give me tips on how I could solve this. Not to brag about how bad this is etc.. but hey who am I thanks for the time and the replies.. at least I got on or 2 decent answers.

Post #398046 8th Oct 2020 3:51 pm
Wesleyst

Belgium 

Vanny wrote:

Will the supplier change the code if you give them the correct field for the signals they use?

Another option is to make a signal adapter to change the new signals of the car to old signals the unit expects. It could be quite a big project!

To of them wanted to visit my country to get the signals communicating with each other. But now with covid-19 not possible and could take a while.

Post #398048 8th Oct 2020 3:52 pm
Wesleyst

Belgium 

dorsetfreelander wrote:
I tend to agree although it's interesting, having been on this forum a for a number of years, to see how we now seem to be attracting more people prepared to play around at a low level with some of the FL2's onboard systems. A friend of mine was told by his insurance company that if he painted his Jaguar XE calipers red then his insurance would increase. I wonder what they would make of mods like some of these?

I guess it depends from country to country, here the insurance don't talk about it. Or don't make problems

Post #398050 8th Oct 2020 3:54 pm
Vanny

Wesleyst wrote:
Vanny wrote:

To of them wanted to visit my country to get the signals communicating with each other. But now with covid-19 not possible and could take a while.

They don't need to travel, they need to tell you what signals they use, and some clever people around here will tell them what the addresses for those signals are Very Happy

Post #398101 9th Oct 2020 10:43 pm
Vanny

dorsetfreelander wrote:
I tend to agree although it's interesting, having been on this forum a for a number of years, to see how we now seem to be attracting more people prepared to play around at a low level with some of the FL2's onboard systems

Is that just a price bracket thing? I wouldn't risk a turning a £20k car into a paperweight. But now you can pick up an early FL2 for not much more than £2k, its much less of a risk. Changing a radio isn't a big thing, it's been happening as long as I've been alive, it's just a more complicated radio.

dorsetfreelander wrote:
I wonder what they would make of mods like some of these?

Having declared all of my mods (mechanical, electrical and cosmetic), my insurance went DOWN. Still, no idea how they worked that one out, but I've double-checked the cover and they are all there. Most of my changes are factory options, which is probably why the insurer doesn't add a premium?

Post #398104 9th Oct 2020 10:50 pm
Wesleyst

Belgium 

Vanny wrote:
Wesleyst wrote:
Vanny wrote:

They don't need to travel, they need to tell you what signals they use, and some clever people around here will tell them what the addresses for those signals are Very Happy

That would be an option 😄 but there are multiple canbus boxes first one ha ha.0 ten they send v1.2 and one seller has my kind of dashboard in the description they use v1.4 so I think I need the 1.4 box

Post #398141 10th Oct 2020 11:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1