« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > No power at all
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
No power at all

A lesson well learned,, Back in May 2020 at 120.000 miles I asked the local landy dealer for a price to service only the intercooler thinking a relatively simple job and also a dealer warranty on the work. Me having the knowledge and tools to do the work anyway but me being me wanted to know the cost.
Well, I can say it’s expensive and with that price I didn’t get the intercooler replaced.
So one dry Saturday morning I took on the task to remove the intercooler and at the same time inspected the rubber turbo pipes and also the notorious pipe below the throttle body. All of them looked in good order before and after the paraffin bath.

So, July 4th hooked up the caravan drove around Cornwall, Salisbury, Cotswolds, with no issues, approx 800 miles, drove around home no issues. Now the car is 125.000 miles. Emailed this forum with poor cold starting and all that.
Tried the egr valve, blanking plate, charging, oil catch can, oil change, map sensor, airflow sensor/air filter, cable inspection.
Fault diagnosis. Eventually nothing would stop my freelander2 misfiring when cold. Tried Fortes turbo clean additive

Well now in mid October while on route to Cornwall my freelander 2 hiccuped, and eventually slowed to a crawl with again caravan in tow. Limped to a service station on the M5 and asked an AA patrol for advice, He said it’s the rubber pipe just below the throttle body, he took the pipe off and showed me the fracture on the inside, that’s it he said. He also said the turbo cleaner had started to weaken a well known rubber pipe as the turbo vanes were loosening up offering more boost.
He did a repair to it with a piece of coke can a couple of cable ties and some tape.
The car eventually got us to the camp site

“Carr“ the landrover dealer in Redruth had a replacement pipe etc in stock I purchased the pipe kit and fitted it,
Now no rough starting or sluggish tick over
They said this hose adds several issues with any stage of starting whether cold or hot as an air leak sometimes doesn’t show on diagnostics and upsets the injection system and also under load.

If I eventually change my freelander and it reaches the 100,000 mile mark I will change every rubber hose, brake pipe to turbo to save future unforeseen breakdowns. Especially when you don’t need them.

Post #398224 12th Oct 2020 10:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1