« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Towing electrics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Scudmonkey

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Towing electrics

Recently bought a caravan and have discovered that the 12S 7 pin supplementary socket on my FL2 only seems to have 2 circuits working on it, so the reverse light works and the socket provides power for the lights in the van. However there is no power for the fridge and i suspect the charging circuit for the leisure batteries is also not working.
Have narrowed down the problem to the Car and not the caravan. Testing the pins on the 12s socket with a multimeter i only have power to the pins that provide for reverse light and power for the caravan. I get zero reading on all the other pins. I suspect it may be the second earth lead (Black wire ?) that may be causing the issue as most electric issues in my experience are down to bad earthing. Vehicle is fitted with genuine LR towing electrics (LR004151 Towing Module is fitted) but I cant seem to find a replacement wiring harness to fit this. All the genuine 7S sockets i see online seem to end in a 6pin connecting plug that i dont seem to have on my vehicle
All the road lights on the van work correctly through the 7N socket, just seems to be an issue with the 7S, although i also discovered the reverse light only works when i have both the Caravans wiring sockets plugged into the car.
I can't seem to figure out where the black earth lead is connected too as the wiring that plus into the Towing module is different colours.
Any ideas before I try to find somewhere that can sort towing elctrics.
Module I have is similar to this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trailer-Towing-...4265669004
Forgot to put in it's 2007 XS TD4

Post #398488 17th Oct 2020 11:31 am
Richard Willetts

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

The white wire is the earth /ground.

When the fridge on a caravan is working on 12 volts it normally needs to car to have the ignition switched on and in some instances needs the engine running ie alternator charging
When on 12 volts the fridge is working all the time and will not cut out when cold enough.
If left on it will drain the battery very quickly

Click image to enlarge

Post #398513 18th Oct 2020 10:02 am
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

On earlier cars, dealer or suitably equipped indie intervention is needed to full activate the tow bar electrics. I believe the basic road lights functions work straight out of the box but nothing else... may be a thought.

Another thing may be that your car has at some point had the module replaced with one of the wrong type. Maybe a couple of 7S functions and a second socket have been codged on to a single socket set.

As far as I know, the car should only provide power to road lights and with the engine running, leisure battery charging and the fridge. Any other 12v function on the caravan should be powered exclusively by the leisure battery.

Over the production life of FL2 there have been a number of towing electric sets: The part number you have quoted for the module may be specific to one or more these sets... from Topix...

LR003107 - 7 pin, single socket
LR003016 - 7 pin, twin socket
VPLFT0107 - 7 pin, twin socket (for US or Aus cars I think)
VPLFT0106 - 13 pin
VPLFT0105 - 7 Pin, twin socket N&S
VPLFT0077 - 13 Pin

Post #398521 18th Oct 2020 11:54 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1