Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Expensive V Power fuel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
PRadd

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

At a certain supermarket petrol station near me I unknowingly put water into my petrol Honda Accord several years ago - I can only presume that they overrode the cutoff system that triggers when the underground tanks get too low - this is apparently a fairly common practice.

Needless to say I was not very happy and of course got nowhere with the supermarket who refused to accept any liability whatsoever - I no longer shop at that supermarket chain & never will again. 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Manual Dynamic
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover - undergoing restoration

Post #400109 19th Nov 2020 9:52 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Thats a problem with management of the filling station as opposed to their fuel.
But do tell which filling station it was so we can all avoid it. Jules

Post #400133 19th Nov 2020 4:39 pm
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Filled up with V Power last week and it was 15p a litre more than ordinary diesel and that price made my eyes water more than if I had drunk the stuff! However, the car does seem to run better on it that on ordinary diesel but I have no way of proving it scientifically. I could do an extended test using 3 or 4 tank fulls of ordinary diesel and comparing performance but I don't want to do that as from reading some of the posts here it may be detrimental. Of course if I had two cars I could compare.

I think the trick is to keep on using V Power but instead of filling up just putting 10 or 15 litres in as the £3 reward is based on the number of visits, but that would be a real PITA. I don't want any of the other odd free coffee they offer.

J

Post #409217 20th Jun 2021 10:50 am
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

It was not that many years back when V Power was
a mere 7/8p above the ordinary Censored DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #409223 20th Jun 2021 12:14 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Yes^^^^^^

It's another gouge...............no reason why oil & gas should be so expensive other than to subsidize more expensive sources but also for the fat bottom lines to keep share prices up. Short term thinking works..............but only for the short term.

Post #409234 20th Jun 2021 3:41 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

I've found that there is a difference - but it seems to be a bit random. In the past I've had cars that definitely ran better on BP premium, but not V-Power, and vice versa. You SHOULD get better performance as the Cetane rating is higher (same is true of bio diesel). I put some in premium fuel (not Shell or BP but I can't actually remember which make! It was a national brand from a SPAR store) last week and the mpg was definitely better, but BP premium seems to make no difference to my Ingenium. Incidentally French diesel is slightly higher quality than UK (unless you buy their truck diesel, which is cheaper) and seems to give me better mpg (and French Shell smells of perfume. Really). I think the answer is to try it, and if you think there's a difference AND are prepared to pay the extra, then go for it. If not, then not. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #409530 27th Jun 2021 10:56 pm
Jimboland

Since the massive price increase of diesel I have tried running with a mixture of Shell V power and ordinary diesel and now just ordinary diesel and I can't find any difference. I am getting a slightly better fuel consumption but this is almost certainly due to driving in a more economical way. Not a scientific test, so you pays your money and you takes your choice.

J

Post #423785 1st Aug 2022 12:00 pm
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Use Costco premium diesel which seems to be ok..no running issues and 20p per litre cheaper Very Happy

Post #423850 3rd Aug 2022 9:23 pm
Jimboland

I have used Shell V Power diesel from new (2012) but stopped using it when the price went sky high when Russia invaded Ukrane and started using ordinary diesel as it was cheaper. To be honest I couldn't find any significant difference in either performance or fuel economy. Recently Shell have made some changes to V Power and make all the expected (fairy tale?) claims of how much better it is. As I now do far fewer miles now because of my circumstances I though I would try some and it seemed that the car ran smoother than on ordinary diesel. I can't make any scientific or realistic comparisons as my use now is less very short town journeys and more dual carriage way cruising. Maybe I just like thinking new V Power is better to justify the extra cost.

J

Edit: Forgot to say that after 45k miles the engine does not burn any oil between services and I have never seen the DPF message come up.

Post #430918 16th Mar 2023 10:42 am
3landertwo

recently pulled into a service station, BP, the roadside light board stated Diesel £161.9/Ltr

so I filled up my 80,odd litre tank, only to find I pull up at the V-Power pump which was £171.9/Ltr

I questioned the fact that the light board stated Diesel £161.9/Ltr, yes he said but the V-Power is 10p/Ltr more.

Then the attendant gave me a lecture that V-Power was better for the engine and would reduce emissions come the MOT.

Post #430921 16th Mar 2023 1:12 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

No increases in fuel duty in yesterdays budget . . . . . . reckon that’ll mean just 10p a litre at the pumps then from today Wink

Post #430922 16th Mar 2023 1:26 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

3landertwo wrote:
recently pulled into a service station, BP, the roadside light board stated Diesel £161.9/Ltr

so I filled up my 80,odd litre tank, only to find I pull up at the V-Power pump which was £171.9/Ltr

I questioned the fact that the light board stated Diesel £161.9/Ltr, yes he said but the V-Power is 10p/Ltr more.

Then the attendant gave me a lecture that V-Power was better for the engine and would reduce emissions come the MOT.

The illuminated boards only show the price of council grade fuel… V-Power and other premium brands have always been a higher price than the 'regular' versions shown on the roadside signs.

The price of the selected fuel would have been displayed on the pump - fuel vendors probably love customers who inadvertently pick the wrong pump but hey, once bitten…

Post #430929 16th Mar 2023 2:41 pm
janderson41

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I don,t use supermarket fuel at all. I do fill up at Tesco as Tesco fuel is Esso.
Nearly all my mileage is local and get about 27/28 all the time.
The station I use does not do super premium.
However, in two weeks time I am driving down to Solihull (330 miles) for the L R factory tour.
What’s the thoughts on letting me go below my normal fill up level and fill the tank with BP v power.
Looking forward to the trip. Also doing the National Motorcycle Museum.
Old biker back in the sixties. Jim A
Fl2 HSE 2010 auto
Disco 2Td5 auto 2002 gone
Disci 1 300Tdi auto 1996 gone

Post #430945 16th Mar 2023 8:06 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

janderson wrote:
What’s the thoughts on letting me go below my normal fill up level and fill the tank with BP v power.

In our little town with its single two pump filling station, it is easier and perhaps 70p a tank more expensive to fill up there with 'Texaco' cheapest than to do the ten or twelve mile round trip to our nearest Tesco or Morrisons forecourts. (A bit of local business, use it or lose it going on there too).

That said, I'll happily fill up with standard grade from any of the supermarkets whenever it is expedient to do so. Supermarket branded fuel has never caused me any grief.

On that same theme, on the very odd occasion I've filled up with a premium grade, it has been mixed into whatever cheapo happens to be already in the tank and then, at the next fill, mixed again with whatever brand of cheapo standard is to hand.

Life is too short to be precious about the grade or brand of diesel we burn in our fairly agricultural transit engines so go to down to the West Midlands, enjoy your trip and worry not about the diesel - avoid motorway fuel if you can - supermarket fuel is fine.

Post #430958 16th Mar 2023 11:37 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Am I right in believing that tankers from different companies fill up from the same standard fuel of the relevant octane and ecomix at one of the few depots we have around the country, and only then add the detergents or whatsoever that is for that particular brand, before delivery. Thus all of a particular type of fuel contains the same amount of energy.

As I said, 'Am I Right?' FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #430963 17th Mar 2023 10:23 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>