Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Gap Diagnostics IID CCF update limitations.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red
Gap Diagnostics IID CCF update limitations.

Hi all. In July I took ownership of a poorly FL2 SE. It was down on compression in one cylinder, for which I assumed it was a dropped port flap. Long story short, it was actually a nut in the combustion chamber. Big Cry
However after many hours and replacement parts, the engine is up and running again, it's got a misfire from cold, but I'm thinking injector for that.

Anyway, back on topic.

I bought the unlock code for my IID BT, as I found it very useful and feature packed on my D3. It allowed me to edit the CCFs, adding things like 3 flash indicators, putting the clock on the dash LCD, adding additional information to the LCD and so on.
It would also show injector offsets and other engine data.

However on the FL2 it seems very limited in what it can do. I can only find limited CCF options, and nothing for live engine data.

So the question is, am I missing something in the app (it's changed since I last used it), or have Gap limited the ability of the IID BT on the FL2?
Any information or feedback welcome.

Post #397274 22nd Sep 2020 1:30 pm
JonMs

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

You are missing something. The CCF editing is a bit limited but that is mainly due to the FL2 having fewer control units to play with. However, live data is very good. You need to have another play!

Post #397282 22nd Sep 2020 3:48 pm
CliveS

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

I know it doesn't really help, but if it's any consolation, the Nanocom Evolution with Freelander 2 access also seems to have a few functions missing, CCF editing works OK but there are very limited firmware updates available for various modules, also some of the service functions still don't work, like DPF and EGR service for example.

Post #397285 22nd Sep 2020 5:09 pm
Nodge68

JonMs wrote:
You are missing something. The CCF editing is a bit limited but that is mainly due to the FL2 having fewer control units to play with. However, live data is very good. You need to have another play!

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'll have another play, once I've fully charged the battery of course.

Would you happen to know if any specific items are missing from the CCF editing function. My FL2 being a 58 plate is missing 3 flash indicators, and add the clock to the dash LCD, both of which I was able to do on my 05 plate D3.

As for engine diagnostics, I can't find anything relating to live data or injector offsets, or even injector coding. Would you be able to give me a hint as to where I can find such things on the App?

Thanks

Post #397304 23rd Sep 2020 10:10 am
Nodge68

CliveS wrote:
I know it doesn't really help, but if it's any consolation, the Nanocom Evolution with Freelander 2 access also seems to have a few functions missing, CCF editing works OK but there are very limited firmware updates available for various modules, also some of the service functions still don't work, like DPF and EGR service for example.

Thanks for replying.

The functions I'm wanting to add are in the list on demo mode, so either this demo isn't model specific (naughty if it tricks potential vehicle owners into buying the IID), or I'm missing something in the App. The App has definitely changed considerably, from the last time I used it, which was about 4 years ago now.

I'll have another play.

Thanks 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #397306 23rd Sep 2020 10:23 am
JonMs

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I've just been out and fired it up for a quick look. The CCF editor is very limited for the FL2. Three flash indicators and date are not available options. There is an option for "Live Values" in the main menu that has many fields that you can select. Some work, some don't. I can't find any fields relating specifically to injectors but that doesn't mean it's not there, it might just be under another name. You just need to wade through it all. I have seen a fair bit of criticism online that the functions available for the FL2 are nowhere near as good as they are for other LR models.

Note that on the Demo Mode only the "Quick List" of live values are shown. There are more available when you hook it up.

Post #397310 23rd Sep 2020 11:05 am
Nodge68

JonMs wrote:
I've just been out and fired it up for a quick look. The CCF editor is very limited for the FL2. Three flash indicators and date are not available options. There is an option for "Live Values" in the main menu that has many fields that you can select. Some work, some don't. I can't find any fields relating specifically to injectors but that doesn't mean it's not there, it might just be under another name. You just need to wade through it all. I have seen a fair bit of criticism online that the functions available for the FL2 are nowhere near as good as they are for other LR models.

Note that on the Demo Mode only the "Quick List" of live values are shown. There are more available when you hook it up.

It's really appreciated that you've taken the time to check on yours for me. Thumbs Up
It's a pain that the 3 flash indicators aren't an option. Maybe the FL2 uses a conventional flasher unit, rather than being under CJB/BCU control. I'll look into that in the wiring diagrams. Or I might ping Pat at Gap an email, to ask if it's an option that can be included, after all Gap are still charging top dollar for the IID, but offering FL2 owners limited functionality.

I'll look at the live values tonight, if I get a chance. The vehicle isn't on the road just yet, as I bought it broken, and requiring some maintenance stuff being done, and I'm OCD which doesn't help. Big Cry 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #397334 23rd Sep 2020 3:13 pm
alex_pescaru

What I know...

1. Three flash indicators are by default activated in my MY2009. And, to my knowledge, from this moment forward. It's a CJB thing and you may need to update the CJB firmware to a newer one (if exists) for your car.

2. Clock on dash is an instrument cluster thing. Can be solved by flashing a newer firmware to the instruments. Thing true for MY2007-2010. Later instruments have the clock by default.

3. CCF can be fully edited. There is a section for default/usual values (which is shown to anybody) and a section for ALL values. It may depend on your IID tool version and/or licence.

4. Live values are also grouped in two categories, Quick List (short) and Complete List (all), where you can see whatever you want. Again, it may depend on IID tool version and/or licence.

5. There is no PID in the engine ECU for reporting back the injectors balance. Not on your EDC16 ECU implementation (MY2007-2010).

6. There is an injector coding procedure, as well as EGR, throttle body, DPF and so on replacement procedures, along with another tone of stuff, but not available (yet) through IID tool. Just the dealers SDD tool. I am saying yet, because the guys at GAP have long promised such things in the future.

Post #397342 23rd Sep 2020 5:23 pm
Nodge68

Thank you for such a comprehensive answer.

alex_pescaru wrote:
What I know...

1. Three flash indicators are by default activated in my MY2009. And, to my knowledge, from this moment forward. It's a CJB thing and you may need to update the CJB firmware to a newer one (if exists) for your car.

2. Clock on dash is an instrument cluster thing. Can be solved by flashing a newer firmware to the instruments. Thing true for MY2007-2010. Later instruments have the clock by default.

3. CCF can be fully edited. There is a section for default/usual values (which is shown to anybody) and a section for ALL values. It may depend on your IID tool version and/or licence.

4. Live values are also grouped in two categories, Quick List (short) and Complete List (all), where you can see whatever you want. Again, it may depend on IID tool version and/or licence.

5. There is no PID in the engine ECU for reporting back the injectors balance. Not on your EDC16 ECU implementation (MY2007-2010).

6. There is an injector coding procedure, as well as EGR, throttle body, DPF and so on replacement procedures, along with another tone of stuff, but not available (yet) through IID tool. Just the dealers SDD tool. I am saying yet, because the guys at GAP have long promised such things in the future.

I added 3 flash indicators to my 2005 Discovery using the IID, but this did require the CJB updated to a later software version, which was an option for the D3.
I'm guessing that Gap haven't provide this option for the FL2, which is annoying.

The clock on dash upgrade required me up flash later software onto the Ipack of my D3.
Again it appears that Gap haven't provided this option for the FL2.

I've found the CCF editing section, and changed a couple of parameters to suit my requirements, but as the software is not the updated version, 3 flash indicators aren't available as an option.
Again Gap haven't provided the SW updated, even with the paid for licence.

I'll look for live data, when time allows.

I'm surprised that there's no PID for the 2.2 TD4 for injector offsets, even the original FL1 TD4 reported basic injector offset values, if the right diagnostic equipment is used.

I've a Delphi clone which will code the injectors, however I'm rather disappointed that the IID can't.

Until I now, I always considered the IID to be one of the most powerful tools for LR vehicles, based on its abilities for the D3. However it seems seriously limited on the FL2, which makes me wonder if I should sell the thing, and buy a diagnostic unit with better functionality for the FL2.

I always found Gap to be more than helpful with updates and improvements when I had the D3. They really seemed to be a switched no company, working hard to provide an excellent product for its users.
Hearing about a long ago promise to sort the FL2 limitations doesn't inspire much confidence in them now, especially as the oldest FL2s are now almost 14 years old, and it's been 5 years since the last FL2 rolled off the production line.

A promise from Gap now, apparently is just an empty promise. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #397355 23rd Sep 2020 10:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1