« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Stop start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue
Stop start

My motor was in today getting the seat belts and pillars replaced and they gave me a stop start FL2 HSE.e

Once it is warmed up it stops pretty quickly when you are in traffic, then re starts the second you depress the clutch by a tiny amount. Not even all the way in.

To be honest I would think after a while you wouldn't even notice it. A long term test would be needed to see if it really does save you MPG. I must admit when I booted it all the way home the MPG went down to 26MPG Whistle

It's got a little plus symbol that flashes up when the car thinks you need to change up a gear but if you listened to the car you would be taking about 4 hours longer to get anywhere.

Oh and that fake wood trim. Please no no no Rolling Eyes

Post #40383 13th Apr 2009 3:58 pm
Natwest

United Kingdom 

the annoying (IMO) shift indicator switches off when you cancel "eco start".

Post #40410 13th Apr 2009 10:34 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

did you contact your dealer re the belts and pillars or are we getting recalls?

wouldn't mind the start/stop if they shoved in a autobox Wink Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #40411 13th Apr 2009 10:45 pm
CY

Scotland 

ISTR that it only saves you fuel if stationary for approximately 1 minute. Stop and start traffic here rarely has you stationary for this long - so I'd be using more fuel with this technology given the amount consumed to start the engine each time Confused

Nevertheless I'm surprised they're not puting it in the D4/RRS - easy addition to prove their green credentials. "CY from DISCO3"

Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #40413 13th Apr 2009 11:28 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

No I contacted them.
Had the brake light leak and PTC heater done previously and was supposed to get the belts and pillars replaced on their advice.
Got a call about two hours after dropping it off to say 'Er, we can't do the belts and pillars as we dont have the parts. Well the parts arrived but they are the wrong ones. Well the box says the right part numbers but the parts inside are different"

So someone forgot to order them then? Whistle Rolling Eyes

Still they are done now.

Now to find that annoying buzzing noise coming from somewhere in the sunroof/roof lining......

Post #40416 14th Apr 2009 8:37 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

snappa wrote:

Now to find that annoying buzzing noise coming from somewhere in the sunroof/roof lining......

Is AndyC hiding in there? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #40417 14th Apr 2009 8:46 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

chicken george wrote:

Is AndyC hiding in there?

Very Happy Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #40418 14th Apr 2009 9:53 am
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

I just got my TD4_e today and it does really work well. According the the dealer, I only save fuel when the engine is off for more then 2.9 seconds, otherwise it actually is not efficient.

I will surely post my findings in the comming months.

Post #40463 14th Apr 2009 10:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CY

Scotland 

zone30 wrote:
I only save fuel when the engine is off for more then 2.9 seconds

Sounds very good to me Thumbs Up "CY from DISCO3"

Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #40466 14th Apr 2009 10:29 pm
zone30

Having the car for 3 days now. You actualy get disappointed when the engine descides not to stop. Loving the car immensly!!!

Post #40651 17th Apr 2009 12:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Natwest

United Kingdom 

I tried one for about a week recently and found myself trying to work out what the parameters are for start/stall not to cut in!

So far:
Engine temp
Ambient temp
Terrain response

Post #40657 17th Apr 2009 2:15 pm
zone30

Terrain response automatically disables teh start/stop.
Otherwise the parameters are quite simple: If the battery needs juice it does not stop or restarts automatically, otherwise it stops.

This means if your airco, radio, lights etc is on it probably wont stop.

After only a few days you hardly notice it anymore.

I did try to be quicker to ge in gear an drive then the engine would restart, but it restarts so quickly it's impossible.

After having it for almost a week now, I don't understand the battering the start/stop system receives, altough I was very sceptical myself before I got it.

Post #40696 18th Apr 2009 9:31 am
Natwest

United Kingdom 

I found it improves your planning/anticipation at junctions, and especially traffic lights! Cool

Post #40698 18th Apr 2009 11:25 am
oakwood

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

As a Brit living in Belgium (for 4 years so far), what I really miss at traffic lights is the 'red and amber' before going to green. Here it goes straight from red to green with no warning (as in France). In UK, you have the warning. This makes everyone at traffic lights here much more nervous.

I will receive the new TD4_3e about the end of May. With the 'red + amber' warning, I could be relaxed if at the front of the queue and with the engine off. But in Belgium, I would have to judsge when to start up again so as not to cause any delay to those behind. Here you learn to look at the pedestrian lights. When the man goes red, you know your light will go green very soon. However, there's always a degree of tension. Often the second or third in line notes the change to green sooner than the first and toots the horn with impatience. I've known Frenchmen to laugh at the concept of the pre-warning. So quaint. "When its green, you go - simple as that!" But it really allows you to relax at the lights. Giving you time to release the handbrake and put into gear before the change. This would really help with the stop/start system.

Once I a Frenchman I know let me drive his BMW on a trip. He couldn't stand me putting the handbrake on at traffic lights. He said it would 'burn out' or something. Its really strange and funny how each country has such different driving etiquettes.

Another from Belgium is they have the 'priority to the right rule' (that France dropped some years ago). They think its perfectly normal. You can be driving along a main road, when somebody pulls out from the right (the equivalent in UK would be from the left) - from a minor road - wothout looking. If you hit them, you would be in the wrong. Its bloody crazy, and the cause of many accidents.

Another two are:
- Belgians (like the French) do not like to use their indicators
- Hate to give up their right of way. A result of this is that you may be edging out of an awkward side road where you have a poor view of oncoming traffic. Instead of realising your difficulty and stopping, each consecutive car just takes a wider berth around you.

But I'm sure their are British driving habits the Belgians would find irritating. Perhaps over-politness!

Post #40706 18th Apr 2009 8:49 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Having driven a BMW 1-series and another car with the start/stop system I found it non-intrusive, but as said by someone else here sometimes when you expect it to stop it doesn't which makes it a bit odd, but overall I saw no issue with it at all.

By the time you've pushed in the clutch and selected gear the engines ready to go and you just drive away like normal. Once you've tasted GREY you'll never go back!

Post #40716 19th Apr 2009 9:45 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>