Home > Technical > Windshield Washers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tascusi

Italy 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black
Windshield Washers

Greetings to the whole community.
In my FL TD4 happens that the front washer jets don't work, while that of the rear window works fine. Reading the workshop manual it seems to me that the problem is due to the malfunction of a relay located in the battery junction box.
Could anyone tell me which relay controls the washer pump?
Thank you

Post #397153 18th Sep 2020 9:20 pm
Badger51

Australia 

&feature=emb_title (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #397158 19th Sep 2020 4:08 am
tascusi

The workshop manual says:

Windshield Washers
On receiving a request for windshield washer operation the CJB will energize the front washer control relay. This allows a battery voltage feed to flow to the washer pump. A ground path for the pump is provided by the de-energized rear washer control relay. Both washer control relays are integral with the CJB.
When windshield washer operation is requested, the windshield washers will operate. The CJB will delay wiper operation for 100 ms after the washer switch is pressed. If the switch is pressed for less than 100 ms, the CJB will not operate the
wipers.
The CJB will power the windshield wipers for as long as washer operation is requested, although the washers will time out after 10 seconds. After the washer switch has been released, the CJB will operate the windshield wipers through 2 more
wipe cycles.

Rear Screen Washer
On receiving a request for rear screen washer operation the CJB will energize the rear washer control relay. This allows a battery voltage feed to flow to the washer pump. A ground path for the pump is provided by the de-energized front washer control relay. Reversing the polarity of the pump (see 'Windshield Washers' above) allows washer fluid to be directed to the rear screen washer jet rather than the windshield washer jets. The rear screen washer jet is incorporated into the high
mounted stop lamp.
The rear screen washer will operate for up to 10 seconds if continuously requested. When rear screen washer operation is requested, the rear screen wiper will operate continuously until the switch is released. After the switch has been released, or following 10 seconds of continuous operation, the CJB will operate the rear screen wiper through 2 or 3 more wipe
cycles.

Headlamp Washers
When the vehicle enters ignition mode 4 (accessory) to 7 (engine running) the first windshield wash request greater than 100 ms will operate a headlamp power wash sequence. The CJB will then start a 10 minute timer. If 5 requests for windshield washer operation are made within this 10 minute window, the CJB will power the headlamp washers upon receiving the fifth request. When this occurs, the 10 minute timer is reset to 0.
If the CJB receives no windshield washer requests during a 10 minute window, the headlamp washers will operate on the first request received after the 10 minute window has elapsed. Again, once the headlamp washers have been operational, the CJB resets the timer to 0.
The headlamp washers will only operate when the headlamps are on. The CJB receives a 'lights on' signal from the light control module over the LIN bus.
When headlamp washer operation is required, the CJB energizes relay 9 in the BJB, allowing a battery voltage feed to power the headlamp washer pump. A ground path for the washer pump is provided by the de-energized relay 12, which is also located in the BJB. This sequence of events provides washer fluid to the headlamp 1 washer jets.
After this sequence the power supply to the pump is reversed. The CJB does this by de-energizing relay 9 and energizing relay 12. This allows the pump to provide washer fluid to the headlamp 2 washer jets. The sequence of events runs as follows:
Power to headlamp 1 washer - 500 ms
Delay to power headlamp 2 washer - 100 ms
Power to headlamp 2 washer - 500 ms
Delay (soak time) to power 1 headlamp washer - 700 ms
Power to 1 headlamp washer - 500 ms
Delay to power 2 headlamp washer - 100 ms
Power to 2 headlamp washer - 500 ms.

The problem for me is to identify the exact location of the relay/s that control the pumps of the front jets of the windshield and of the jets of the headlights.

Post #397226 20th Sep 2020 7:14 pm
tascusi

My FL Td4 is from 2008.
I reasoned in this sense: if the rear jet works, then it is not a problem with the water pump, since it works for both the jets of the windshield and that of the rear glass.
Perhaps the headlight spray pump may be inoperative. But before looking at the pump I want to be sure that the fuses and relays are working.
The fuses are intact.

Post #397228 20th Sep 2020 7:27 pm
tascusi

Badger51 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtCY8tVSpcM&feature=emb_title

In the video, however, the positions and functions of the relays are not considered.

Post #397230 20th Sep 2020 7:35 pm
Badger51

Australia 

Look at the underside of the fusebox cover, they are clearly marked on there!

Relays R9 & R12 control the headlamp washers.

Relays R8 & R11 control the screen washers.

As you also have no windscreen washers & no headlamp washers I doubt it is the relays as it would be very odd for all four relays to fail.

More likely to be a wiring issue or a CJB problem in my opinion, if you are certain that all the fuses are OK. (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash

Post #397234 20th Sep 2020 9:02 pm
tascusi

The fuses I checked are the ones that are indicated in the workshop manual and protect the windscreen jets pump circuit and the headlight jets circuit. In any case, considering that the pump that sends the water to the windshield jets and the rear glass jet, I think it is bidirectional, I would not want the pump diverter piston to be blocked.
However, there remains the problem of the pump that sends the water to the spray of the headlights.
This is a separate and different pump from the windshield and rear glass jets pump.

Post #397243 21st Sep 2020 8:18 am
tascusi

Badger51 wrote:

As you also have no windscreen washers & no headlamp washers I doubt it is the relays as it would be very odd for all four relays to fail.

More likely to be a wiring issue or a CJB problem in my opinion, if you are certain that all the fuses are OK.

These are the checks I did:
I removed the two pumps, that of the windshield and that of the headlights. They both work on the bench. It was an opportunity to clean them. The windshield is bidirectional and works in both directions.
I checked the fuses again, according to the diagram in the maintenance book. The fuses are functional.
I also checked the relays that you indicated to me R9 / R12 and R8 / R11. Those work fine too.
I reassembled the two pumps and tried to see if 12V power is coming. The voltage does not reach both pumps, except -12V on the windshield pump, when the rear jet is activated.
At this point, the only thing that comes to mind is the following:
1. an interrupted cable;
2. the push button microswitch on the steering wheel lever.

Post #397369 24th Sep 2020 9:35 am
Scudmonkey

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Gonna sound daft BUT, are you trying the headlamp washers with the lights switched on? as they don't operate with the lights off

Post #397442 25th Sep 2020 12:47 pm
3landertwo

I think someone has just had a 'light-bulb' moment. Idea

Checked mine ...

Headlamps OFF front windscreen washers - wash windscreen ONLY

Headlamps ON front windscreen washers -wash windscreen AND bumper washers wash headlamps.

Last edited by 3landertwo on 25th Sep 2020 2:00 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #397444 25th Sep 2020 1:44 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I once had a problem with the front washers on an FL2 and the problem was in the stalk. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #397445 25th Sep 2020 1:56 pm
tascusi

Scudmonkey wrote:
Gonna sound daft BUT, are you trying the headlamp washers with the lights switched on? as they don't operate with the lights off

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #398079 9th Oct 2020 6:11 am
tascusi

Badger51 wrote:

More likely to be a wiring issue or a CJB problem in my opinion, if you are certain that all the fuses are OK.

The problem was in a broken cable that goes from the internal fuse box to the pumps.
So broken cable.
It took half a day to find the broken cable.

Post #398080 9th Oct 2020 6:16 am
Badger51

Australia 

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Wish I could fix mine!

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic24746.html (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash

Post #398081 9th Oct 2020 6:19 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1