Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > How green are electric cars ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
How green are electric cars ?

Interesting article citing Polestar data
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/353201/...railing-ev

The manufacture of an EV generates considerably more CO2 than an equivalent ICE car. Its "greeness" is entirely a result of how the electricity is generated during its "in use phase". (ignoring the local air quality issues).

Hence the Polestar EV needs to be driven between 30K and 70K miles before its life time CO2 production beats that of the comparable ICE.

Polestar calls for car manufacturers to be more open about lifetime CO2 production as well as the humanitarian and environmental costs of battery manufacture. Jules

Post #397117 17th Sep 2020 7:27 pm
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

It's a tough one. Like most emerging technologies, it won't be hugely efficient. But with demand and advances in production, things will improve to a point where they will be a genuinely better choice.

Right now I think we are at a cross over, which inevitably will go electric, but we aren't there quite yet. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #397118 17th Sep 2020 8:22 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Putting aside the issue that Australia is world's third largest fossil fuel exporter.

Around my area people are not driving as our borders are closed. So we a knocking down our houses & rebuilding them. Old houses probably lasted 50 plus years on average. All these new house are high maintenance & they will be lucky to have half the life span. A lot of imbeded energy up in smoke!

It's not as black & white as that, but if one can't create greenhouse gases one way, we will easily find another way to do it!

A wind turbine's imbeded energy is about 6 months of use. Coal dust health issues are a major issue in Australia but are always left out of the equation. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #397124 18th Sep 2020 2:44 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

It’s one of the reasons we like the BMW’s ethos with the i3 as the factories that manufacture the major components are all run sustainably using wind and solar (and a little hydro), even it’s main interior components are all recycled sourced materials, they set out to make statement and it worked.

Apart from all that the car is an absolute hoot to drive Very Happy Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #397141 18th Sep 2020 6:31 pm
jules

My wife does a lot of short journeys and is interested in EVs.
How big is the boot on the i3 - could you get 2 Labradors in the boot ?
And how far would you be prepared to go in it if not able to recharge anywhere but home ? Jules

Post #397146 18th Sep 2020 7:27 pm
Lightwater

Pets have a large environmental footprint. Down under they estimate a large dog in the family is roughly equivalent to another car. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #397152 18th Sep 2020 8:57 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

put the dog in a treadmill, it can recharge the car battery whist it self exercises

Personally Ive now got 110 kw of solar panels so looking forward to a decent electric car to plug into them.
if only they could invent lunar panels At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #397155 18th Sep 2020 9:50 pm
Lightwater

chicken george wrote:
if only they could invent lunar panels

They are called windmills!

With obesity levels everywhere, it would be probably better we were on the treadmill! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #397157 18th Sep 2020 10:09 pm
Boxbrownie

jules wrote:
And how far would you be prepared to go in it if not able to recharge anywhere but home ?

Two big dogs? Hmmm a bit of a squeeze, although the rear seats do have an “upright” position which makes the boot much better for that kind of work I would think, but ultimately you would have to take them to a dealer and try I’d say.

Ours is the 94ahREX so on pure electric summer/winter would be 100/120 safely (providing your not charging down a motorway at 80mph all day!) on A/B and some dual carriageway driving, being honest here.

But ours being the REX we can get at least another 60-70 miles on the genny if we don't/can’t stop to charge. Regards

David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #397160 19th Sep 2020 7:48 am
Boxbrownie

I will add that if we go out for a (well used to!) poodle around the county looking for a beach to eat lunch and just keep,up with the traffic rather than whizz past every time there is a gap (the i3 accel is that good, easier to use than our Boxster S we had) then we often could get at least 130-140 miles from it.

They are like every other vehicle on the road depends how they are driven ultimately, but trust me you will turn into an “off the lights” smiler in no time at all Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Post #397161 19th Sep 2020 7:53 am
Boxbrownie

chicken george wrote:

if only they could invent lunar panels

NASA did, they are on the moon.... Whistle

Very Happy Regards

David

Post #397162 19th Sep 2020 7:54 am
jules

Boxbrownie wrote:
jules wrote:
And how far would you be prepared to go in it if not able to recharge anywhere but home ?

Two big dogs? Hmmm a bit of a squeeze, although the rear seats do have an “upright” position which makes the boot much better for that kind of work I would think, but ultimately you would have to take them to a dealer and try I’d say.

Ours is the 94ahREX so on pure electric summer/winter would be 100/120 safely (providing your not charging down a motorway at 80mph all day!) on A/B and some dual carriageway driving, being honest here.

But ours being the REX we can get at least another 60-70 miles on the genny if we don't/can’t stop to charge.

cheers for that. Thumbs Up Jules

Post #397171 19th Sep 2020 1:09 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1