« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > "Gearbox Fault. Traction Reduced"
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
OLOSTEVE

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Firenze Red
"Gearbox Fault. Traction Reduced"

Reversed into a driveway, drove away okay, then above message flashed up.
Can not detect any problem with driving, Auto gearbox as smooth as usual and no noises from transmission.
Would appreciate any ideas on what's going on and if I can eliminate the message from flashing up?

Post #396336 30th Aug 2020 7:42 pm
GundogSD4

England 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Could be Haldex, has it been serviced?

Post #396364 31st Aug 2020 7:48 am
Richard Willetts

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black
Battery

Check your battery voltage first,I bet its low try putting it on charge see if fault goes away

I have a 63 plate manual and when the battery voltages falls I get the warning Gearbox Fault Transmission Reduced this has been happening since 19k miles about 3 years now.

My cure and it works is turn off the stop/start I know autos don't have a stop/start.

If I leave the stop/start on for a day the warning appears. I left the caravan connected to car on Dover/Calais 90 mins and when I restarted the engine the warning came on, it took 2 days for the car alternator to charger the battery enough to keep the warning off

When it first happened to me I had LR warranty took it back 3 times they told me all sorts Haldex,Gearbox etc they did not have a clue
I still have the original battery on and never fails to start even when left at the airport for a month in winter
(see my posts a few years ago)

Post #396369 31st Aug 2020 8:38 am
OLOSTEVE

GundogSD4 wrote:
Could be Haldex, has it been serviced?

Filter and fluid change July 2019 @ 56800
I think it's only a clitch some where, I'd just like to find how to cancel the warning message and triangle.

Post #396371 31st Aug 2020 8:57 am
OLOSTEVE

Re: Battery

Richard Willetts wrote:
Check your battery voltage first,I bet its low try putting it on charge see if fault goes away

I have a 63 plate manual and when the battery voltages falls I get the warning Gearbox Fault Transmission Reduced this has been happening since 19k miles about 3 years now.

My cure and it works is turn off the stop/start I know autos don't have a stop/start.

If I leave the stop/start on for a day the warning appears. I left the caravan connected to car on Dover/Calais 90 mins and when I restarted the engine the warning came on, it took 2 days for the car alternator to charger the battery enough to keep the warning off

When it first happened to me I had LR warranty took it back 3 times they told me all sorts Haldex,Gearbox etc they did not have a clue
I still have the original battery on and never fails to start even when left at the airport for a month in winter

New battery fitted in February. Thank you for the possibility that's it's a computer type glitch.

Post #396372 31st Aug 2020 9:11 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

My Haldex pump screen was found to be approx 50% blocked after getting that message. Pump and haldex removed, new main filter and oil changed and not seen the messsge since.
Did the garage remove and clean the screen filter on the haldex pump? Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #396375 31st Aug 2020 9:12 am
Richard Willetts

I would still put the meter on the battery make sure its 12.8 ish, also you may need another earth strap, Freelanders like plenty of current

Post #396383 31st Aug 2020 12:16 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I second the above.

Post #396385 31st Aug 2020 12:52 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Was told that that years models had the second earth straps fitted Thumbs Up

When I had that warning it was Haldex , then again Haldex warning came up few weeks later as it hadn't been primed by stealer Censored

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #396386 31st Aug 2020 1:16 pm
GundogSD4

England 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

I can confirm MY 14 cars already have an additional earth strap fitted.

Post #396394 31st Aug 2020 2:15 pm
OLOSTEVE

Richard Willetts wrote:

Update: Battery checked, perfect. Alternator checked, okay. Disconnected battery, reconnected still warning signs.
Tried to engage, Terrain response, flag up, "Not Available".

Post #396395 31st Aug 2020 2:29 pm
Richard Willetts

If you think its haldex related it might be worth giving Austen a ring at Belle Engineering he the daddy on Haldex, he knows exactly what hes doing and highly praised on this forum

Richard

Post #396398 31st Aug 2020 3:08 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

If the fault has not cleared with a battery reset then there should be fault codes stored that need read with a code reader which will help pinpoint what the problem is. Good luck! Thumbs Up

Post #396399 31st Aug 2020 3:22 pm
Badger51

Australia 

OLOSTEVE wrote:
Richard Willetts wrote:

Update: Battery checked, perfect. Alternator checked, okay. Disconnected battery, reconnected still warning signs.
Tried to engage, Terrain response, flag up, "Not Available".

Have you checked the fuse for the Haldex, in the rear fuse box? (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #396417 31st Aug 2020 10:31 pm
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

My MY2013 has just started flashing up the same message from time to time. (more on than off now!!) I have had this before and sorted it out with a new battery. Current battery is about 18 months old and measures 12.85v so I don't think that is the problem now

Current mileage is 123k. Haldex was serviced by Bell's at about 65k. I was booked in for another service at Bell's anyway, but Austen cancelled as he was going on holiday so I need to reschedule. Hopefully that will fix it

Steve

Post #396434 1st Sep 2020 10:51 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>