Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Starts, runs and stops???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Niffty

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Barolo Black
Starts, runs and stops???

Morning all.

Took my 2007 Freelander for MoT this morning (passed) and on way home the engine cut out. Coasted to side of road and it would not start.

Removed the key and put it straight back in and the car started, drove a mile and same again, remove key and replace it and the car starts every time.
Eventually it would only run for a few seconds and then cut out, by then i was convinced the longer i took the key out the longer it run afterwards, called the AA who found several faults that registered today, all 4 injectors failed, mass air flow failed etc.

He pointed out that not all the faults have happened at once and there is more likely just one thing that has upset all the other things, so he towed me home, about 20 minute trip and then the car started and run for ages again, backed it on the drive, had a cup of tea and got bored so turned it off.

This again makes me think, the longer the key is out, the longer the car will run. No warnings, no lights on dash and it drives and runs perfect, until it cuts out again..
Any ideas anyone. Tia.

Post #398035 8th Oct 2020 12:51 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

No idea but at least it happened after it passed.

Post #398039 8th Oct 2020 2:16 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

An MOT tester once told me that part of the MOT test on diesels is to run it flat out on the limiter for a few minutes whilst they do the emissions test which can draw crap out of the tank into the fuel filter. Could this be relevant given you just had the test? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #398051 8th Oct 2020 3:55 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Last MOT I had tester said sorry if you heard me revving the nuts off it I had too to get it through the emissions.

Post #398052 8th Oct 2020 4:02 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red
Re: Starts, runs and stops???

Niffty wrote:
Morning all.

Took my 2007 Freelander for MoT this morning (passed) and on way home the engine cut out. Coasted to side of road and it would not start.

Removed the key and put it straight back in and the car started, drove a mile and same again, remove key and replace it and the car starts every time.
Eventually it would only run for a few seconds and then cut out, by then i was convinced the longer i took the key out the longer it run afterwards, called the AA who found several faults that registered today, all 4 injectors failed, mass air flow failed etc.

This again makes me think, the longer the key is out, the longer the car will run. No warnings, no lights on dash and it drives and runs perfect, until it cuts out again..
Any ideas anyone. Tia.

Unlikely to be all 4 injectors.

Is the fuel level about 1/4 of a tank. ? 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #398067 8th Oct 2020 8:41 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

dorsetfreelander wrote:
An MOT tester once told me that part of the MOT test on diesels is to run it flat out on the limiter for a few minutes whilst they do the emissions test which can draw crap out of the tank into the fuel filter.

It's the governor smoke test. The engine is held at full speed for 15 seconds, while the exhaust probe measures smoke opacity. This is repeated up to 3 time, to give the vehicle a chance to pass the test. If the smoke test still exceeds the limit after 3 attempts, then it's a fail.

It's actually a pretty pointless test these days, as correctly running modern diesels have very accurate fuel metering, but it's the only test a diesel has to undertake. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Last edited by Nodge68 on 9th Oct 2020 11:55 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #398069 8th Oct 2020 8:46 pm
Niffty

Half a tank of fuel and he never over revs them on the test.
The AA guy said its very unlikely that 7 faults have appeared at the same time, he thought something has upset system, he did mention loom rubbing on the gear box.

I have done the reset thing with the battery leads and checked all the multi plugs i can get to, started it with the spare key and it run for over half hour, need to brave a test drive now.

I am still convinced the longer i left the key out, the longer it would run.

Post #398071 8th Oct 2020 9:13 pm
alex_pescaru

Check the crankshaft position sensor.

Post #398073 8th Oct 2020 9:47 pm
Niffty

Bit of an update.
I washed under the wheel arches and the drains under the windscreen on Wednesday with the steam cleaner at work.
I have taken apart all the multi plugs i can find and washed them out with WD40 yesterday, there is a tuning chip fixed under the panel where the drains are, Im wondering if water had got in the plug for the chip,
also changed the batteries in both key remotes
Fired straight up this morning and been for a run, hopefully it was water in a plug somewhere.

Thanks for the help guy, will update if it plays up again.

Post #398120 10th Oct 2020 9:55 am
hamiltov

Hi @Niffty. This sounds very similar to my drama at the turn of the year. After lots of expensive investigations it turned out to be the tube return, which is linked to all 4 injectors. Tube return LR051528, less than £50. I hope this saves you some time and money.

Post #398136 10th Oct 2020 7:08 pm
Niffty

Thanks for the heads up on that, the car now claims i have an HDC fault and wont even turn over, i found a squashed cable clamp on the gear box, wires are all on good shape thought.

Post #398207 12th Oct 2020 4:50 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1