« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Driving into Europe, your thoughts please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
Driving into Europe, your thoughts please

We'd booked a trip to Significant Others family in Switzerland in late April with a two night stopover each way in France. All cancelled and rescheduled for us to travel out in 10 days time. Last week we were faced with quarantining upon our return which we were happy to accept but today of course the UK have advised that travellers need to quarantine upon returning from Switzerland.
What are your thoughts on our returning? If we take the view that we've travelled from France we'd be ok, albeit have that two week quarantine to face.
However I'm wondering if it's affected by the fact we've initially set out from Switzerland with a stopover, even though there is no restriction upon travel between those countries. After all, as far as I'm aware the UK authorities only ask for where we've come from, so we could just say France Wink
As there's no restrictions between Switzerland and France could we conveniently overlook thatbfirstbpart of the journey?
Am at home now for a few days so will be able to spend some time researching, just wondered if anyone had any views
Not the end of the world if we don't make the trip although SO would be disappointed, not seen her family for over a year and the trip was for her nieces confirmation and she's her godmother and as such should be there.
Bottom line is of course we need to stay safe and keep others that way

Post #396224 27th Aug 2020 8:42 pm
3landertwo

You are only fooling yourself.

Your life is up to you, but what about other people's life you could affect.

Think on !!!

Post #396226 27th Aug 2020 8:57 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

Sid, Thought you worked for the ambulance service. Our N.H.S is granting special leave for anyone having to quarantine if government advice changes after a trip has been booked. Might be worth checking that out so that you can still take the trip and stay within the rules when you return.

Post #396227 27th Aug 2020 9:24 pm
3landertwo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53895891

Coronavirus: One in eight hospital cases were 'caught on-site'

Post #396228 27th Aug 2020 9:33 pm
Sidthecat

3landertwo wrote:
You are only fooling yourself.

Your life is up to you, but what about other people's life you could affect.

Think on !!!

Not sure we would be. Stopovers in both directions in France in what are presently regarded as low risk areas, as is the village where the family live in Switzerland. Less instances there than presently at home where everyday people go past my home on the bus, rarely wearing masks to go to the local supermarket where they wear their mask to enter the store then promptly loose them around the neck. The store say they have no powers to enforce the wearing of a mask beyond the entrance. The local corner store doesn't give a toss about numbers going in, whether they wear masks . . .
If we take our own precautions when we're out and travelling, I'm sorry but you'll not convince me we're endangering ourselves any more than we would by spending time here. If we felt otherwise, then we'd not even be giving any thought to travelling

Post #396231 27th Aug 2020 10:23 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

Today in the UK 12 died with corvid 19 ( NOT OF CORVID 19 ) 1,200 new cases there are 60 people on ventilators,the UK Population is 66.6 million, the UK is classed as one of the highest risk countries in the world. NOW PUT IT IN TO PROSPECTIVE. Crack on I say.

Post #396232 27th Aug 2020 10:47 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Sid
Quarantine Instructions are there for the good of the population. As Jack points out, we have by sticking together and obeying the (inconvenient) rules we have brought the level of transmission down to a reasonable level.
If we are ever to have normal international travel again we need to all individually cut down the possibility that we accidentally become a carrier of COVID-19 and pass it on to a few others.

At the moment, no-one is stopping us personally taking the risk and travelling. All we ask is that in doing so you limit that risk to others. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #396234 27th Aug 2020 11:16 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #396235 27th Aug 2020 11:23 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

Jack frost wrote:
Today in the UK 12 died with corvid 19 ( NOT OF CORVID 19 ) 1,200 new cases there are 60 people on ventilators,the UK Population is 66.6 million, the UK is classed as one of the highest risk countries in the world. NOW PUT IT IN TO PROSPECTIVE. Crack on I say.
the virus is now well under control time to get back to the normal.

Last edited by Jack frost on 28th Aug 2020 9:32 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #396239 28th Aug 2020 12:59 am
PRadd

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

If you do try and manipulate the restrictions I hope you do not live anywhere near me or my loved ones - utterly irresponsible....

And if you do indeed work for the NHS you should know better than this - not to mention consideration of others...

Putting yourself and your family in a position of risk is one thing - but refusing to quarantine puts others at risk, we have all made sacrifices due to Covid 19 and I find it deeply frustrating when a small Censored minority try their best to frustrate these efforts.

As another poster said - think on.... 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Manual Dynamic
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover - undergoing restoration

Post #396245 28th Aug 2020 9:02 am
CED

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Bali Blue

Thumbs Up well said PRadd

Post #396249 28th Aug 2020 9:21 am
Sidthecat

My post seems to have been misunderstood and furthermore I don't need to be morally judged by some on any decision I make on travelling. I'm well aware of what quarantine is about, why its in place and what we need to be doing on a daily basis, washing, masking, distancing and so on.
We were well aware that we'd have to self isolate if we travelled back from France under the rules brought in last week. Indeed we have plans in place for that eventuality.
My question arises out of the fact the government has added Switzerland to the list and I was simply asking in anyone had any views on whether we'd be okay to drive back with a stopover? We've no intentions on avoiding quarantine - you need to submit on line declarations upon the return journey, so it would appear difficult to. In fact several sites are saying it's possible to drive non-stop, via the Shuttle and provided you don't get out the car, be exempt from quarantine.

dondiddy - I am indeed NHS but not amongst the listed exempt healthcare professionals
PRadd - feel lucky to not be living in London where the wearing of masks, social distancing etc is alien to many. Hence our being constantly alert when we go out the house

Post #396252 28th Aug 2020 10:38 am
PRadd

Hmm - your question is still unclear as far as I can see, but if you are going to be self isolating for 2 weeks when you return then you can have a stop over anywhere you judge to be suitable.

I know this is not your situation but I cannot get my head around the desperation of some to have a holiday in the midst of a global pandemic.

I certainly do not feel lucky being outside London - the North West has had a 2nd spike (or perhaps an elongated and later 1st one than London) and as a result of this I have not been allowed to visit my elderly mother (on her own since my dad died a couple of years ago) for quite some time - despite certain groups in the area thinking that weddings with 100+ guests are ok Rolling Eyes , my mum has found the isolation very difficult indeed.

So forgive me if I appear to be "morally judging" - I do have sympathy for your SO's situation and you have at least a more valid reason for travel than most.

It just annoys me intensely that some seem determined (as you yourself point out) to undermine the efforts and sacrifices the vast majority of us have made, and continue to make daily. 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Manual Dynamic

Post #396253 28th Aug 2020 10:57 am
PRadd

I re-read your OP - what is it you think will be beneficial in pretending that you have just been to France & not Switzerland?

"What are your thoughts on our returning? If we take the view that we've travelled from France we'd be ok"

Ok in what way? 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Manual Dynamic

Post #396254 28th Aug 2020 11:02 am
athelstan

Swiss Border Crossings

Sid you are misinformed re entry exit FR-CH.
Presently the Swiss place no restriction upon you entering here, that’s not to say they will at any moment in the future as our C-19 rate of infection is gaining moment due to the ignorance of the teenage generation.

That aside, if you wish your route to / from Blighty via FR you currently are only allowed to travel up-to 100kms inside France and you have to complete beforehand the French border crossing travel permit which you can download online. This documentation rule and motor journey length within France also applies to your outbound border crossing from UK into FR.

Unless that is you can comply to one of a number of “exceptional” exception rules. Of course as we have seen governments all across Europe are flip flopping these regulations frequently.
Bon Voyage - Safe Journey[/u]

Post #396256 28th Aug 2020 11:12 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>