« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > United Kingdom > Dash mileage not recording after dash update
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Neo

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Dash mileage not recording after dash update

I changed the battery on my 2007 FL2 HSE and it caused the dash to light up like a christmas tree. Nothing worked except the fuel gauge. All the warning lights were lit and I had no speedo or rev counter. The mileage was 999,999 and the trip counter wasn't working. local garage advised update was required by a LR dealer and I duly booked in at my nearest one. They carried out the update of the dash software and all was restored except for the mileage which still read 999,999. The dealer did a phone round of his contacts and the only thing he offered was that there was a possibility that the mileage would reset after driving 183 miles (why that odd number i will never know) but if it didn't then it would have to be a new dash unit. Well more than 200 miles later and still no reset of the mileage. I can't afford a dash replacement (circa £800 fitted) and was wondering if anyone on here had suffered a similar fate and knew if it was possible to somehow reset the mileage. I am assuming an illegal hack but if it can be done and was reset to the last MOT mileage plus 5000 miles (I have never done more than 5k in any year since I have had the car) then surely that wouldn't be dishonest.
Hoping someone can give me some useful pointers.

Post #406379 9th Apr 2021 1:05 pm
3landertwo

At startup, the car compares the value stored into instruments with the values stored in 6 other ECUs.

Post #406380 9th Apr 2021 2:16 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Strange one this is hope you sort it.

Post #406383 9th Apr 2021 2:51 pm
Neo

3landertwo wrote:
At startup, the car compares the value stored into instruments with the values stored in 6 other ECUs.

I had read something along those lines. I'm guessing each would need to be reset but I know nothing about electrics. Maybe I just bin the car and be done with it.

Post #406388 9th Apr 2021 4:56 pm
Neo

SYFL2 wrote:
Strange one this is hope you sort it.

I can't wait until we go all electric! Rolling Eyes

Post #406389 9th Apr 2021 4:57 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Something else is going on with your car. Changing the battery should only cause various equipment to loose some settings such as window opening and closing end points. I’d guess that some of the wiring has broken down and continuity is not constant. Something similar to forum member oldgeezer experienced with the earth lead which caused him years of problems. Have you fitted a second earth strap from the battery to (normally) the starter? Cars from 2007 don’t have them.

Post #406407 10th Apr 2021 7:42 am
Neo

The car itself seems to be running fine, even when the dash wasn't working before I got the software updated. I have never had this much hassle when simply changing a car battery.
I fitted the extra earth lead a couple of years ago.

Post #406408 10th Apr 2021 8:00 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I presume that you have done the complete reset sequence. Silly question perhaps but is it a legal requirement to have a working odometer ? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #406410 10th Apr 2021 8:38 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

It is not a legal requirement to have a working odometer - how would the MOT examiner test it?

There are people who offer "Speedo correction" - for those who have fitted replacement clocks
Maybe you have fitted genuine new clocks and want them to honestly reflect the vehicle mileage, maybe you have fitted clocks from a breaker and the doner vehicle has done 100,000 miles more than your excellent low mileage vehicle. The guys don't care as long as you pay. Yes the mileage is stored in several units, and these units will note a mileage mismatch, they will continue to function normally with no indication on the dashboard.
Someone with the ability to read the faults on all the units can note the mismatch - do you normally interrogate the transmission ECU when buying a second hand car, does the dealership when they buy the car off you?

Speaking from experience. Whistle Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #406420 10th Apr 2021 10:27 am
Neo

dorsetfreelander wrote:
I presume that you have done the complete reset sequence. Silly question perhaps but is it a legal requirement to have a working odometer ?

It was put in to a LR dealer to update the software to cure the Dash fault. It was him that said he couldn't get the mileage reset. I have no idea if he did the complete reset sequence you speak of. I have no idea about electrics.

Post #406432 10th Apr 2021 1:54 pm
Neo

Andy131 wrote:
It is not a legal requirement to have a working odometer - how would the MOT examiner test it?

There are people who offer "Speedo correction" - for those who have fitted replacement clocks
Maybe you have fitted genuine new clocks and want them to honestly reflect the vehicle mileage, maybe you have fitted clocks from a breaker and the doner vehicle has done 100,000 miles more than your excellent low mileage vehicle. The guys don't care as long as you pay. Yes the mileage is stored in several units, and these units will note a mileage mismatch, they will continue to function normally with no indication on the dashboard.
Someone with the ability to read the faults on all the units can note the mismatch - do you normally interrogate the transmission ECU when buying a second hand car, does the dealership when they buy the car off you?

Speaking from experience. Whistle

I have been told by an MOT garage that it won't affect the MOT test. They will either note the mileage displayed, ie 999,999 or note mileometer not working.
Nobody has come up with a fix that I can perform so I will seek out someone who can perform the required speedo correction.

Post #406433 10th Apr 2021 1:59 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Complete reset.

Disconnect BOTH battery leads negative first, touch them together for say 30 seconds.
Refit the battery leads, positive first.
You will need to re-calibrate the windows - send one all the way down, release the switch and then while it is down send it down again holding the switch in the down position for 5 seconds. Send it up when it gets to the top release the switch, then operate the up button again for 5 seconds. Repeat for the other windows.

The idea is to discharge all the ECUs and let them have a clean re-boot, you will be surprised the number of times that this does work, The FL2 is a mix of several computers, not all of which boot up in the right order, even worse they don't always shut down completely, if one stays alive it will boot too soon and can stop the others. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #406477 11th Apr 2021 11:08 am
Neo

Andy,
I did that when the initial issue happened after changing the battery. I was toying with the idea of doing it again but don't want to cause the dash to go tits up again so have thought better of it. If it causes the dash to go again then it's another trip to Landrover & another £150. #dilemma! Sad Sad

Post #406488 11th Apr 2021 5:31 pm
bomeo

Romania 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Galway Green

In my experience with electronic equipment, this kind of hard reset can physically damage some circuits and components due to autoinduction surcharges. Moreover, when you short the two power cables, different capacitors with different working voltages, from different modules are shorted too, and the energy contained in, is discharged with significant current surge. In electronic equipment capacitors are slowly discharge through ballast resistors, or by their internal resistance, in time, not by shortening the terminals especial on high capacity high voltage capacitors. So, I think that is possible that your odometer has suffered a physical damage , not only software problem.

Post #406495 11th Apr 2021 7:24 pm
Neo

Bomeo
Although I don't fully understand all you said, that's the sort of thing that makes me avoid anything electronic. What used to be such a simple thing to do (changing a car battery) can now cause untold damage to the car's system. When we go fully electric, unless you have a degree in electronics, there will be very little home maintenance of vehicles possible so being able to afford a car, irrespective of the initial cost, will be crippling for a lot of people. Sad
Thanks for your input, I will be biting the bullet and getting an expert to have a look at it as soon as i have saved up some money.

Post #406539 12th Apr 2021 5:43 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>