Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > low power fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
rusty_wingnut

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Baltic Blue

Could anybody be of assistance and provide me with a location for the ECM D131?

Post #400612 2nd Dec 2020 8:44 pm
rusty_wingnut

Well I found the ECM, under the plastic thing near the windscreen. I removed the three connectors and performed continuity checks for the wires from the throttle body controller.

I have found good connection on all wires apart from, the blue with white tracer and the solid brown....

Click image to enlarge

Unfortunately the wiring related to the throttle body is not all on one ECM plug (there are three!) and to make matters even trickier there are the same colour wires appearing on different plugs!!!

I am struggling to see why I can't get continuity from either the brown, or the blue with white tracer. Any ideas?

I would be tempted to run a fresh pair of wires directly from the ECM to the throttle body connector, but I can't tell which one of the two blue w/white tracer and three brown wires at the ECM end they are?

Does anyone have diagram showing which pins on the ECM connect to where?

Last edited by rusty_wingnut on 6th Dec 2020 10:43 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #400635 3rd Dec 2020 3:53 pm
rusty_wingnut

To update: I found a connection on the solid brown so rechecked all the blue with whites, and yes the one from the throttle body had no connection. I checked the wire from the throttle pedal and found it’s pin and did the same for the turbo boost sensor, thus leaving me convinced I had a bad wire from the throttle
Body to the ECM. So I piggy- backed the wire and ran a new wire loose in the engine bay. A quick run down the road revealed a big improvement but the fault has not gone in its entirety!!!

I will test all wires from the MAF next, and then might well revert back to the turbo solenoid and it’s wiring.

I am intrigued though because I cannot see where any chaffing will have occurred on the wiring loom, it barely passes through one bulkhead with no other connectors on the way, so how I have a bad connection I am still confused by!!

Post #400815 6th Dec 2020 10:42 pm
rusty_wingnut

Reading the stuttering/Juddering/Hesitation thread as pinned at the top of the technical forum, I wonder if I have in fact got two faults here, the stuttering juddering at slow speed acceleration, seems more related to the Haldex unit?

I see a service kit is £65 approx so ordered one of those. I've never touched that unit in the whole time I've owned it, so if nothing else it's due an oil change @ 95k.

Post #400824 7th Dec 2020 10:19 am
rusty_wingnut

Well a little update - I serviced the haldex, made no difference and the oil was clean anyway. So I turned may attention back to the turbo controller. I removed it before and found it to be working, so tested the wiring down to it and had continuity.

I read a whole bunch of stuff on these Hella units, and it seems if the plastic worm gear is worn it can cause a whole host of issues. So I threw a new turbo controller at it, and the problem disappeared!!

I assume I had two issues running side by side, with the broken wire and the error within the turbo controller. Either way I've had my share of issues here, and decided to part company with the car.

Post #402255 6th Jan 2021 11:16 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12