« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Sat Nav Issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Clyno

Australia 2012 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Sat Nav Issues

Hi I just joined this group today and any advice would be welcome.

Am typing from Perth, Western Australia, re my 2012 Freelander 2 SE SI 6.

My Sat Nav is pretty good but needs updating, so I looked on You Tube, discovered a ten minute UK video showing a DVD player under drivers seat etc. When I looked under my driver's seat today I found a plastic receptacle where a DVD player used to be. I am presuming that what data there used to be in the now departed DVD player is now in my dashboard. Or was there never a DVD player there in the first place? I am told there can be quite a bit of differential between models/ countries.

Given that I have a screen in the dash rather than a detachable one on top, has anyone gone down the path of installing a non CD option combined with a reversing camera while using the existing in dash screen? If not than any other options that you may have would be warmly appreciated at this end of the world.

Rgds Gary

Post #393268 27th Jun 2020 9:24 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Hi and welcome. Do you have a SD slot facility in the centre arm rest? Mines a 2013 and the satnav update was done that way

Post #393271 27th Jun 2020 10:08 am
CJOver

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

There are two different Sat Nav systems;

1) The pre-facelift version which is run from a DVD under the seat - JLR have not sanctioned an official mapping update release for this for the past 6+ years, however the software system is also used by other manufactures who are supporting their older vehicles so up to date discs can be obtained, (2019-20 is the latest version available) these are usually released in about March/April and are based on mapping data from the previous September. The software version that is usally used is the Subaru Core2 Navigation system.

2) The post-facelift version is held on a drive within the entertainment system and is updated via a USB stick, this is the Gen 2.1 system, again JLR have not approved any new updated releases of this mapping software recently - the last available version is the 2018/19 data version (again this will be based on the September 2017 maps).

If you have the Gen 2.1 system you are basically stuffed and you would be better off either using a smart phone and the mapping software that is freely available on that or buying a Tom Tom or Garmin unit.

The link bellow is to one of a number of internet sellers who will supply the latest versions available.

https://www.satnavishop.co.uk/land-rover-24-c.asp MY13 HSE Lux Santorini Black
MY11 HSE Santorini Black Gone
MY08 SE Blue, Gone
Alfa Romeo GT Gone
Alfa Romeo 156 Space wagon Gone
Volvo V40 Gone
Volvo 480ES Gone
VW Sirocco GTX Gone

Post #393297 27th Jun 2020 4:27 pm
Clyno

Thank you for taking the time to get back to me. I looked just now and can see no facility for an SD card. Looked under both passenger and drivers seats and cannot see any DVD player so I am stuffed if I know what is going on. I was hoping to use the existing in dash screen but that may not be possible now. You are so lucky with the SD option. Rgds Gary

Post #393315 28th Jun 2020 3:30 am
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

I don't think Oz Freeos got the DVD nav system. My SE had a Garmin Nuvi standalone unit in the top of the binnacle. They are no longer supported by Garmin so don't try to update it. I did because the Garmin website said I had to update the software to update the maps.
Hey Presto the new software doesn't work in the old unit and you can't uninstall it. Even if you did uninstall you've still got old maps.

I use my phone and apps to navigate. Free lifelong updates. I'm installing an aftermarket head unit in a couple of weeks to run my phone and music.

A couple of times I have used an iPad for a larger map screen, allied with a stand alone GPS receiver that transmits to the ipad via Bluetooth, so no mobile network is required.. MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #393316 28th Jun 2020 3:33 am
Clyno

Thank you very much for getting back to me. You have supplied some really good info that I will go through. Definitely no DVD player under the driver's seat as mentioned in the manual. No USB facility either. A friend has a Nissan Xtrail and sourced a system that fitted over the existing screen and it looks like it was always supposed to be there and no more messing around with DVD's so I might go down that route. Alibaba has some good knock off stuff. Windscreen wipers for Freelanders being one of them. I do appreciate your info. Rgds Gary

There are two different Sat Nav systems;

1) The pre-facelift version which is run from a DVD under the seat - JLR have not sanctioned an official mapping update release for this for the past 6+ years, however the software system is also used by other manufactures who are supporting their older vehicles so up to date discs can be obtained, (2019-20 is the latest version available) these are usually released in about March/April and are based on mapping data from the previous September. The software version that is usally used is the Subaru Core2 Navigation system.

2) The post-facelift version is held on a drive within the entertainment system and is updated via a USB stick, this is the Gen 2.1 system, again JLR have not approved any new updated releases of this mapping software recently - the last available version is the 2018/19 data version (again this will be based on the September 2017 maps).

If you have the Gen 2.1 system you are basically stuffed and you would be better off either using a smart phone and the mapping software that is freely available on that or buying a Tom Tom or Garmin unit.

The link bellow is to one of a number of internet sellers who will supply the latest versions available.

https://www.satnavishop.co.uk/land-rover-24-c.asp[/quote]

Post #393317 28th Jun 2020 3:53 am
Sidthecat

As a final thought, how do you upload, or play discs?

Post #393321 28th Jun 2020 8:39 am
Clyno

Oz Freelander 2Sat Nav

Thank you very much for this. Makes sense. Gary

]I don't think Oz Freeos got the DVD nav system. My SE had a Garmin Nuvi standalone unit in the top of the binnacle. They are no longer supported by Garmin so don't try to update it. I did because the Garmin website said I had to update the software to update the maps.
Hey Presto the new software doesn't work in the old unit and you can't uninstall it. Even if you did uninstall you've still got old maps.

I use my phone and apps to navigate. Free lifelong updates. I'm installing an aftermarket head unit in a couple of weeks to run my phone and music.

A couple of times I have used an iPad for a larger map screen, allied with a stand alone GPS receiver that transmits to the ipad via Bluetooth, so no mobile network is required..[/quote]

Post #393322 28th Jun 2020 8:49 am
Clyno

Re Sat Nav

Mine has a CD player in the dash. Have just been told on this site the Oz Freelanders did not have the under seat DVD setup Rgds Gary.

Sidthecat"]As a final thought, how do you upload, or play discs?[/quote]

Post #393323 28th Jun 2020 8:52 am
Sidthecat

Just wondered if the CD offered a satnav download facility; assume it must be a stand alone CD player

Post #393329 28th Jun 2020 10:26 am
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Hi. From a past W.A. person myself. Currently in the UK but aim to get back soon!

ozjeff62 is correct. I remember LR just put a Garmin in the area a built-in sat nav would be, so in that case, I’d have thought that you’d be able to buy a new Garmin to replace it as long as it’s the same size. Hard to say until you take a look and see what’s behind it and how it’s installed.

I had a 2008 i6 HSE in Oz and even that didn’t come with a sat nav so I ended up installing my own.

Post #393354 28th Jun 2020 7:57 pm
Clyno

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll try an auto electrician re replacement in dash Garmin as long as it doesn't affect other Freelander stuff such as phone.

Post #393777 6th Jul 2020 12:42 am
Bumpf

Australia 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Indus Silver

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Re the LR Australia installation of a Garmin Nuvi Sat Nav: I have just sold my Freelander 2 XS 2011 which had the Nuvi (I think 1450 model) installed. I had the car from new for 11 years and did 205,000km. The Garmin was a simple solution that added value to the car.

The Garmin is installed with a specially fabricated (probably cut and drilled with CNC, laser or water jet) flat plastic bezel - the black shiny surround in the photo.

The Garmin is supported and held in place by a cardboard skeletal box/cradle - it just sits there propped up against the bezel. There are no screws or glue used. An extra cigar lighter socket was fitted under the gear gaiter/cover. The Gamin standard 12V plug to USB-C connector is used.

There is no other connection physical or bluetooth to the Freelander's electrics or radio system. When the cigarette light powers off, the Garmin will power-off after 30 seconds. Sound came direct from the Garmin (lots of small holes in the special bezel) not via the car radio system. All controls of the Garmin were via its touch screen

I undated the system software and map data once over 11 years. I already had the Garmin lead (computer D-plug to USB-C lead). Data cost around $100. I don't know if this is still available. You need to remove the entire centre section front cover which is quite easy.

It should be easy to change to a newer similar size unit, though the supporting cardboard box (simple and it works) might need modification. And check there are holes through the bezel that match the location of the replacement unit's speaker.

Post #425560 25th Sep 2022 9:25 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1