Home > In Car Electronics > Options for upgrading basic GS equipment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
mattie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver
Options for upgrading basic GS equipment

Hi all

I've just got a Freelander 2, and this is my first post on the forum so hello to all!

I've had a read of a few threads and I'm a little lost as to my options, so would appreciate some advice.

My Freelander is the basic GS fit on a 57 plate, with a pretty simple single CD player radio and no satnav, and most significantly no bluetooth for phone connection. I'd like to look into upgrading the equipment, but it appears from reading other threads that the GS might not have the correct wiring for an improved sound system or for a satnav. Is this correct? Are there any options for improving the system to fit a bluetooth-enabled system, ideally a higher-quality Landrover item? I would prefer not to tear out all the trim to fit a new loom, or to have to fit a load of bluetooth modules etc, but would entertain some DIY if it would allow fitting of a vastly improved system. There is a parrot fitted which doesn't seem to like my iPhone 4, but I do at least have the option of upgrading the parrot. I'd prefer an integrated system though.

In terms of the satnav, I noted a thread where someone retrofitted a TomTom into the dash, would the GS have the necessary connections behind the dash/console to allow this to be connected to the sound system (muting radio for directions, powering up with the car etc)?

I'm totally new to all this so I'm not that familiar with the model types or the sound system options, so please forgive noddy questions! Please note that I bought the car as it was available from a trusted family member, ideally I would have bought a higher-spec model but we can't always be so picky!

Cheers

Post #275732 13th Sep 2015 9:28 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Give up on the lr satnav idea its not simple at all, then its not the best system anyway,
You can get a retro fit screen android style - ebay etc or fit a tom tom garmin type in the cubby hole

Eg http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/171722095775?_mwBanner=1 At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #275733 13th Sep 2015 9:33 pm
mattie

Ta for comments - I've found a few threads on fitting tomtom into the cubbyhole, but I'm not quite clear whether the basic stereo and related fittings would interface with the TomTom. My Freelander only has a 3.5mm audio jack and no obvious USB or similar connection, so not sure how the tomtom would be wired into the car power and audio. (Eta: I assume the parrot uses the phone connection to the audio, which might complicate matters)

I'll keep reading the threads, but any pointers appreciated.

Post #275739 13th Sep 2015 10:01 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

I don't think you can interface with the TomTom. However most of us find that we can hear it fine anyway. I have the LR version now (different car), and find the way it interrupts the radio really quite annoying. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #275743 13th Sep 2015 10:29 pm
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

In terms of sat nav, I have the GS too and although it is very basic, I put a simple phone mount bracket in the cubby hole above the stereo and when I need GPS, I stick my phone in the bracket, book it up to audio with the aux socket, use aa power socket to charge it and just use Here Maps which is an offline mapping GPS app. Works perfectly and as long as you're playing music through your phone the app dips the music and it all comes nice and loud through the stereo. If you're listening to the radio, just don't have the phone coming through the aux socket.

Not the prettiest solution but the easiest if you have a smart phone already. Most people don't really need sat nav on every journey anyway. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #275750 14th Sep 2015 6:18 am
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Past master wrote:
I have the LR version now (different car), and find the way it interrupts the radio really quite annoying.

When I do use the sat nav, which is probably about 5% of journeys, I often mute her voice. I do like her voice, but usually there is something more interesting on the radio, just need to glance down at the screen periodically to make sure I haven't missed a turning!

Post #275752 14th Sep 2015 6:42 am
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Well for anyone with an Android (or iOS phone I think) try Here Maps - it is free and the maps are downloaded so you don't need a constant data connection while routing. Plus Maps are updated regularly. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #275754 14th Sep 2015 6:46 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

We have two GS models 60 and 11 reg and they have bluetooth. Presumably it came in later then your 57 plate. However, I believe that the bluetooth module is at the back of the car near the fuel filler connected via a fibre optic, I wonder if it's possible to just fit the module? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #275766 14th Sep 2015 10:01 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Pretty sure its not a simple retro fit on the older pre 2009/10 models.

I had a parrot Bluetooth kit fitted for hands free/music streaming and while the dash was off I ran a long USB power cable down the back from the cubby box to the front aux power socket next to the gearstick.

My Garmin sat nav slotted into the cubby with no need for a bracket and was ignition powered by the AUX socket with a USB adaptor plug, and I could hear the instructions quite clearly from the standard sat nav speaker (I think the cubby box had the effect of amplifying the voice slightly)

All in about £200 including cost of parrot, sat nav and fitting at Hell Frauds.

Pics in my gallery Thumbs Up

Post #275774 14th Sep 2015 10:33 am
Perfect Pete

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black
Sat Nav

Hi Mattie

Thought you might be interested to know its possible to mount the Garmin Sat Nav in the cubby hole. Its a 7" version and fits very snugly. If you're interested, you can PM me for further details. Mine is a 07 GS so its similar to yours. It also has bluetooth but I've not used this on my Freelander.

Click image to enlarge

Post #275890 15th Sep 2015 1:54 pm
rich_allen

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Alaska White

Easy to retrofit double din pioneer app radio or something similar...

Gives you Bluetooth with option of rear camera... Plus interfaces with steering controls and handsfree controls if you have them...

And leaves you with the pocket for storage...

Post #276238 18th Sep 2015 12:13 pm
mattie

Sounds like there's quite few options!

I'll have a look at the aftermarket bluetooth/satnav headunits, although I'd prefer to have the satnav screen a little higher (the cubby hole seems a perfect location) it might be easier just to get it all in one box. It would be particularly useful if the steering wheel controls worked with an aftermarket unit. I've seen some photos a decent clarion fit, although I am worried they might looking a little jarring in the flesh - they're not exactly subtle, especially in relation to the rather austere trim of the GS model!

The parrot device I've got is annoyingly suffering from a known fault where it won't give a PIN at pairing, and can only be fixed by purchase of an aftermarket cable. I might just bin it, it's a pretty ugly solution. Assuming I can't swap in the uprated LR headunit (I gather I'll need new looms and an amp etc) I might try a third party with bluetooth for a phone pairing. I may look to fit a separate satnav in the cubby hole whilst I'm at it.

Options, options!

Post #276256 18th Sep 2015 5:57 pm
joshLondon

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

I thought I'd hijack this thread as I'm planning on doing this next week.

Ideally I'd like to put one of these in my FL 09 SE - http://tinyurl.com/pfc9s6a (Ebay Android double din and there are loads of them). I mainly want to have SatNav linked to google maps via 3G/4G so I can see up to date traffic information via Google Maps/Waze etc. This can save me hours if I avoid roads that are blocked in London. Also Spotify+WIFI for music and internet radio.

Size 153 x 178 x 100mm (so possibly will fit into cubby hole at top.

a) In the cubby hole and patch the existing audio cables so I have sound, possibly even swap steering controls etc as these units have all the steering features, OBD2 (via bluetooth),

b) replace main head unit with a double din adaptor, however due to the location it's not easy to see whilst you're driving.

Have anyone done either a) or b). FL2 2009 GS SG BS RT BT TMA

Post #279005 21st Oct 2015 2:23 am
turboextreme

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

I tried to replace my premium Alpine head unit last year as I wanted a head unit with Sat nav and Dab but was advised against it as it would be very expensive as the premium unit uses fibre optic sound connections.
Replacing the unit will involve fitting a new amplifier rewire to every speaker and fitting a parking sensor interface as removing the stereo will stop these working. There is no Auto leads wiring harness adaptors available for the premium audio unit so you would have to adapt or solder in a iso adaptor to get power etc. I was quoted around £1100 inc vat I was keen on spending that sort of money but the mrs wasn't. Whistle

The Basic Radio unit is different all you need is The auto leads adaptor and radio face plate adaptor and a great double din radio plus the Aerial adaptor which converts the male Falkra plug to iso or din depending on which radio you purchase.

Post #279015 21st Oct 2015 9:07 am
joshLondon

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

I'm wondering what the depth of the cubby hole is at the top as I may try and fit the double din up there and see if it works. I've found one that is 17cm in depth, or possible I'll just open it up tomorrow and measure (and report back). FL2 2009 GS SG BS RT BT TMA

Post #279086 22nd Oct 2015 5:53 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>