« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Rear diff leaking fluid? Looking for some insight
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jflbball

United States 2011 LR2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
Rear diff leaking fluid? Looking for some insight

I have a 2011 LR2 with 101k miles on it. Rear diff seems to be leaking fluid, and the tech noticed it while replacing the tires. Seems to be a slow leak, after the whole day there's a couple dime-sized spots on my driveway. The problem is I don't know if the rear diff is leaking fluid, or something above the rear diff is leaking fluid, because I don't know what to check for to determine that. Does anyone have any experience with this? I want to know am I looking at an entire rear diff replacement or is this a matter of having a shop replace a seal (or multiple seals).

The fluid looks like motor oil and doesn't have a smell. Didn't taste it (I don't think it would taste too good...).

I'm a little bit nervous here, the car drives completely fine, but I don't want to drive something that's unsafe. Am I better off not driving it?

Haven't had this car for very long. Picked it up used a few months ago. I'm in Rhode Island (US) and literally can't get the Land Rover dealership to even return a call to schedule service. I'm going to try some rebuild shops tomorrow to see if they can fit me in.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #411372 15th Aug 2021 11:01 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

You've taken pics of mainly the Haldex unit rather than the rear diff. From what I can see, however, is that the rear diff looks comparatively dry and the leaking fluid is mainly below the Haldex.
Also the EP oil in the diff has a distinct smell whereas Haldex fluid doesn't. So on balance I'd say your Haldex is leaking rather than the rear diff.

Maybe spray underneath with a degreasng agent and rinse down with a hose, let it dry and go for a drive and hopefully you'll be able to see whereabouts the leak is coming from. Jules

Post #411375 16th Aug 2021 1:03 am
jules

Has your haldex been serviced recently?
Looking at where the oil is, I'm guessing that the input shaft seal on the front of the haldex is leaking.
see arrow

Click image to enlarge
 Jules

Post #411376 16th Aug 2021 1:06 am
jflbball

jules wrote:
You've taken pics of mainly the Haldex unit rather than the rear diff. From what I can see, however, is that the rear diff looks comparatively dry and the leaking fluid is mainly below the Haldex.
Also the EP oil in the diff has a distinct smell whereas Haldex fluid doesn't. So on balance I'd say your Haldex is leaking rather than the rear diff.

Maybe spray underneath with a degreasng agent and rinse down with a hose, let it dry and go for a drive and hopefully you'll be able to see whereabouts the leak is coming from.

Thanks Jules. This is hugely helpful. I'll try what you said. The rear diff has a little bit of a darker color on it but isn't leaking like the haldex unit. And like I said, the fluid doesn't smell. It's brown like new motor oil.

It's possible the haldex has been serviced but it would have been the previous owner who did it. I've only had this rig for a few weeks.

If it's the haldex unit, am I worse off than having the leak come from the diff? Talking complexity and cost wise, if you've got any insight on it.

Post #411377 16th Aug 2021 2:26 am
Grimdog

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Barolo Black

Hi, I too have a leaking haldex ( gen 4 ). I am going to sort it in the next couple of days. Easily doable for the home mechanic. I am guessing around 4 hours start to finish. Mine is not leaking from the input seal, so I have bought all the other seals which were around £24 in the UK.

There is lots of info on here about how to go about the job. Make sure you correctly identify which generation of Haldex you have before ordering parts. It would be a good idea to service it at the same time, so but a new filter as well.

Good luck, Richard

Post #411380 16th Aug 2021 8:14 am
jules

the 2 types of Haldex unit

Click image to enlarge
 Jules

Post #411384 16th Aug 2021 9:08 am
jules

jflbball wrote:
And like I said, the fluid doesn't smell. It's brown like new motor oil.

If it's the haldex unit, am I worse off than having the leak come from the diff? Talking complexity and cost wise, if you've got any insight on it.

Haldex fluid is light straw coloured. Yours looks to be quite dirty.

I've no idea how much it would cost you in the USA to remove and service a haldex or the rear diff.

To get all the haldex oil out you need to remove the unit (there is no drain, and sucking through the filler hole only gets some of it out)
Also the Gen 4 filter is pretty much inaccessible in situ.
This is what I did:
1. Move / remove the exhaust pipe to gain access.
2. Jack up a front wheel so you can rotate the propshaft.
3. Remove centre propshaft bearing support.
4. Disconnect haldex ECU plug.
5. Undo propshaft flange bolts and used bolts and spacers to push propshaft flange out of the haldex input shaft flange.
6. Remove 4 bolts connecting haldex to rear diff.
7. Pull the haldex off the rear diff - a large O-ring seals the haldex to diff (renew)
8. I had to remove the huge haldex input shaft flange to be able to remove the pump motor cover - (not necessary on yours by the look of it)
9. replace the haldex filter and cap (comes with the service kit)
10. clean the non-replaceable motor filter.
11. reassemble.
12. follow the exact haldex filling procedure (important) - its all the JLR workshop manual Jules

Post #411385 16th Aug 2021 9:28 am
jflbball

@Jules

Called Land Rover Bedford NH which is where this car had it's most recent 4 services. No service done with the Haldex unit. Spoke with a few guys locally and it's possible the breather is clogged. I need to try and figure out how to get to that piece. Anyone have experience doing this?

Post #411403 16th Aug 2021 5:11 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1