« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > ST3 remap experience
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
darrellr

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver
ST3 remap experience

My previous car was a Seat Leon Sport (equiv. to a MKV Golf GTI) which comes as standard with 182 BHP. I opted to purchase an "ST3" device to perform switchable remaps (original, economy and power maps available). I found it excellent value and it made a great difference. Since it is a "buy once, use many" device (one car at a time) I opted to move it on to my new Land Rover and use the ECO map supplied by Chipped UK. So far I've not tested the 'fast road' map and probably won't as it is not really what a Landrover is for!

For the first 750 miles my Freelander2 covered I've managed a maximum of 32.8 mpg on very long motorway runs at a cruise control limited speed of (look away now officer) 80 mph. With the ECO map added I got 40.5 mpg on a 2 x 15 mile dual carriageway test run. A result that hints at a 25% increase in fuel economy. Better still the vehicle is significantly more responsive and easier to drive whilst on road - I will be popping up to the stables tomorrow to test it is still okay off-road.

The website quoted figures are +25 BHP, + 50 lb/ft torque and +20% economy. Whatever the numbers I can say the effect it has on my Land Rover is significant in areas I am interested in and I'm very happy. On the Leon it gave me huge overtaking potential at only minor economy loss, on the freelander I have got amazing increase in economy AT THE SAME TIME as a decent increase in power, particularly at low-ish revs which makes the whole car feel smoother whilst driving around 'town' (Monmouth feels a bit small to be a town!).

NB. I'm not being paid by ChippedUK to write this, I've received no discount or special treatment, just genuinely impressed with the ST3 system and the way it has worked for me. New: Freelander2 GS 62 plate (MY13) - Santorini Black with Clearview & Front PDC
Old: Freelander2 XS 09 Plate - Zermatt Silver with ST3 remap (eco map), Garmin 1490T Sat Nav, Rear Seat Entertainment kit

Post #39929 3rd Apr 2009 10:51 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

is this switchable, via the little plug in unit and how long does it take to switch them over between them?

By the sounds of it they give you 2 upgrade options too with the economy and power, most i have seen only offer the one

your tests seem to be quite impressive too, with the economy setting are you loosing any power to acheive the better results.

What i am thinking is,

Sport mode for playing Twisted Evil
Economy mode for everyday and towing the tintent, but if this is achieved by reducing engine power it maybe no good

You mention stables, have you tow the horse box with it and seen any improvement Thumbs Up

what sort of price is it Question Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #39930 3rd Apr 2009 10:58 am
darrellr

npinks wrote:
is this switchable, via the little plug in unit and how long does it take to switch them over between them?

It is switchable - you first configure the flasher by USB connection to your PC (no apple's I'm afraid) then you connect up to your car with an ODBII cable to the port just under the steering wheel in the FL2. You read out your cars individual map and re-connect to PC. You download the original map and email it to the ChippedUk guys who then send back two maps Economy (estimated +25 BHP, +50 NM, +20% economy) and power (estimated +32 BHP, +65 NM, +0% economy) tuned for your personal car. The unit/maps will NOT work on any other vehicle.

Load the maps onto the box and upload them to your car via ODBII. Switch/swap as you want. The flash unit also has a fault code reader/eraser built-in!

npinks wrote:
your tests seem to be quite impressive too, with the economy setting are you loosing any power to acheive the better results?

See above - it GAINS power as well as economy on the eco map.

npinks wrote:
You mention stables, have you tow the horse box with it and seen any improvement Thumbs Up

We don't own a horse/pony yet so no towing.

npinks wrote:
what sort of price is it Question

I think it is £399 inc. VAT for unit and first set of maps. They do offer forum discounts and group buy discounts if they can be organised.

If you return a vehicle to standard the flasher can be re-used and Chipped charge £100 for new maps.

see the Chipped UK website for further interest. New: Freelander2 GS 62 plate (MY13) - Santorini Black with Clearview & Front PDC
Old: Freelander2 XS 09 Plate - Zermatt Silver with ST3 remap (eco map), Garmin 1490T Sat Nav, Rear Seat Entertainment kit

Post #39936 3rd Apr 2009 11:43 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

sounds interesting TBH Whistle

20% increase will pay for itselfs quite quickly Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Last edited by npinks on 3rd Apr 2009 2:52 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #39939 3rd Apr 2009 11:58 am
Magic Man

Wales 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Martinique Blue

What are the disadvatages/pitfalls...? I can't see how it can gain in power and economy at the same time - you don't get anything for nothing. What do you potentially sacrifice/lose in order to gain in other areas? FL2 TD4 XS manual, XS style pack, Martinique Blue

Post #39943 3rd Apr 2009 12:25 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

from what i have read on the subject over the past few months is that the standard engines are tuned for varible qualites of fuel throughout europe, due to the extra cost of a tune for each particular market.

Tuning companies take this and give it a more direct tune to that market/fuel hense been able to acheive more power from the fuel Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #39945 3rd Apr 2009 12:58 pm
darrellr

Just an update a month-ish on.

The average mpg is now at 39.2 from 1500 miles. Driving is 3 long motorway return trips, a few shhort hops to local towns (25-30 miles away) and a lot of trips to school, Waitrose, stables and friends (each around 2-5 miles round trip)

Increased power/speed is not particularly noticable but 'drivability' definately is.

There seems to be no impact on moderate off-road use and HDC etc work as normal.

Is it worth the dosh? Based on 15,000 miles a year a standard map gave me ~33 mpg = 2045L a year, remap @ 39 mpg = 1740L. Roughly speaking a litre = £1 so I'm saving £300 a year with the remap New: Freelander2 GS 62 plate (MY13) - Santorini Black with Clearview & Front PDC

Post #41124 24th Apr 2009 10:57 pm
stangs

Darellr - is yours an auto transmission? Those are very impressive figures. I currently get about 32-33 mpg on motorway runs at 70 mph, 31 mpg driving conservatively any other time. Diesel prices will only go up in future, so I can see such a solution as being more attractive as time goes.

The only thing I would be worried about is warranty/engine wear issues.

Post #41338 29th Apr 2009 3:47 pm
darrellr

stangs wrote:
Darrell - is yours an auto transmission?

Manual!

I have only grudgingly swapped from quick coupe to sensible countryside vehicle and still retain some desire to be in control Smile

As stated in another thread, whilst you cannot lash a LR and still get round corners I do give it a decent push with my right foot. New: Freelander2 GS 62 plate (MY13) - Santorini Black with Clearview & Front PDC

Post #41509 3rd May 2009 11:17 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

how is the ST3 remap going Darrellr Question Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #42583 2nd Jun 2009 11:23 am
darrellr

npinks wrote:
how is the ST3 remap going Darrellr Question

"Darrell" Thumbs Up

Superb thh ... I realise I'm beginning to sound as if I'm a sales person for the Alientech system but I'm very pleased with the results.

I reset my trip computer thing this mornining and drove 150 miles along a motorway(80-85 in 6th)/dual carriageway (80 in 6th) for 120 miles and then the last 30 through a quiet a-road (50-60 in 5th). The result was 44.4 on the mpg.

With respect to performance - it IS mildy quicker but only very mildly. The difference between an ~160 and ~185 BHP map is not that noticable until around 3k revs when you do feel a healthy extra push. By far more important is the better 'driveability' in normal driving conditions. The engine doesn't labour so much at low revs and picks up much more smoothly and you forget howbig a bus you are driving. New: Freelander2 GS 62 plate (MY13) - Santorini Black with Clearview & Front PDC

Post #42729 5th Jun 2009 11:29 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

sounds great Thumbs Up

Shame they didn't feel it necessary to answer my email query i sent them Confused

Nick Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #42730 6th Jun 2009 12:02 am
darrellr

npinks wrote:
sounds great Thumbs Up

Shame they didn't feel it necessary to answer my email query i sent them Confused

Nick

ChippedUk are pretty useless at actually selling the bloody things! You could try their parent company, viezu. Email is info@viezu.com New: Freelander2 GS 62 plate (MY13) - Santorini Black with Clearview & Front PDC

Post #42741 6th Jun 2009 1:32 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i'll have a look there also

emailed three companys and not one has bothered responding

at least BAS did, but theres a a single remap not eco and a power one which i quite fancy Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #42744 6th Jun 2009 5:02 pm
Rowy

Nick
Ha HA I already read that VW forum thing before you wiped it Laughing

Did you read it-kickin up a stink about the late delivery, at least it was a worthwhile group buy-not like your kick plates Laughing

Post #42747 6th Jun 2009 5:11 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>