Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Manual or auto
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

manual,so when your starter packs up,or your battery's flat,you get passers by to push you and bump start it ,if your lucky your on a hill and you don't need them Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #392287 9th Jun 2020 9:31 pm
sid

no dpf either,plus blank off egr,happy days!

Post #392288 9th Jun 2020 9:33 pm
sid

mines a hse,reg oct 2009.

Post #392289 9th Jun 2020 9:34 pm
inneedofhelp

United Kingdom 

Well auto defo sounds the more popular choice, last 4x4 was the l200 manual served its purpose at 215k still on original clutch

Other half fancies a auto cos he’s lazy, don’t fancy paying more than £400 for VED friend pays not much more for her Range Rover and that’s more a ornament obscene costs to sort that out

But one thing I know is definitely no DPF

For some strange reason I always thought manual would handle better in the snow must be having a blonde moment Smile

Post #392300 9th Jun 2020 10:01 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

FWIW VED was £260 this year for our SD4 auto (all SD4 are autos). We get 36+ MPG

Ive found DPFs to be fine if you do longish journeys and get it hot. If you pootle around with lots of short journeys all the time then the DPF will clog up, but you dont really want a diesel then anyway.

Autos are good off road if designed for that purpose - with the FL2, that lack of a low ratio box makes the auto's ability to apply
force gently quite handy when negotiating tricky conditions. Seen manuals stall when off-roading or having to slip the clutch to keep the off-road speed down. Jules

Post #392306 9th Jun 2020 10:40 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

As Jules says the auto box torque converter acts as a 'virtual lower gear, and enables low speed, high torque, driving.

I can't see why people are worried about DPF, I have had no trouble in 100K miles covered in 8 years.

I say again, the SD4 Auto suits the FL2 extremely well and makes it a pleasure to drive.

Also the electric handbrake is no problem, as that FL2 is equipped with auto release, which makes hill starts faultlessly.

Similar discussion in this thread

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic35390.html FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #392308 9th Jun 2020 11:17 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

+1 for the electric handbrake. Changing pads and disks much easier with no drum handbrake mechanism and pads to bother with.

I think one of the issues is that people with autos dont use the EHB much (like SWMBO) and so it sticks through lack of use. I use it all the time much like a handbrake on a manual. Jules

Post #392313 10th Jun 2020 12:10 am
Paul4751

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

I was commuting in 1976 through west London in a early 3 door manual Range Rover...stop go stop go in the rush hour traffic. The manual box on those RRs was a dog and impossible to make smooth gear changes..my left leg ached with the changes every few seconds in the traffic jams. I treated myself to a 3 speed auto RR and never looked back. Did over 360k miles in 12 years on that auto box despite needing three fuel tanks, two engines, three steering boxes; but the gearbox was fine. Have since had two more RRs, and five freelanders..all with auto boxes...never, never, never, go back to manual. Currently have SD4 and travel to Spain three times a year doing 18k/y including long motorway cruises and snowy Pyrenean crossings. The autobox is a sheer delight. If any one craves to select manual gears to "be in control" then the option is available, even a sport mode for the boy racers. Tax and fuel consumption are not an issue because depreciation far outways those costs. If they are the main consideration, get a Fiesta.
Now for another Scotch, rage over.

Post #392369 10th Jun 2020 10:40 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12