« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Replacing floor tiles HELP
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
Replacing floor tiles HELP

Guess one or two of you will have done this before.
Whilst off work and no income ( one of the 5% ) I have decided to brave it and refit our on-suit bathroom.

Unfortunately our floor has been tiled, yes on wood-chip floor, doesn't appear to of been boarded underneath.
I thought I wood attempt to remove a tile to see just how much damage it causes.
So far 6 drill bits drilling out the grout between just 2 tiles and have ordered grout tool.

So question is, is it better just to tile over the top, yes it will raise the floor level but thats an acceptable level or does someone have a good idea for removing them ?

Help. Thank you Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #392197 8th Jun 2020 11:17 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I would tile over them.

Post #392198 8th Jun 2020 11:24 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White
Re: Replacing floor tiles HELP

I can see no real problems in tiling over existing tiles, just avoid lining up any joins in upper and lower levels, to avoid possible cracking in future.
As for increasing floor height, it would be no different than boarding out anyway, and careful shaping of floor join at doorway will overcome any trip hazard. It would also save any re-levelling of damaged woodchip floor.

I boarded out my upstairs bathroom, with ply, prior to tiling, over a wooden floor. All OK. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #392200 8th Jun 2020 11:34 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

If tiling onto timber floor glue down sheets of 4 or 6mm cement sheeting first. If the timber floor is a bit loose or squeeky, screw it down thoroughly first as you won't get another chance.

Preferably use double pressed tiles. Big tiles look good in a small space.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/flo...loor-tiles Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Last edited by Lightwater on 8th Jun 2020 12:16 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #392203 8th Jun 2020 12:09 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Two layers of ceramic is a real bodge Laughing To get them up , You need a 4” chisel blade on a big SDS hammer drill that has chisel setting . You can rent them, although we bought a Draper one for about £60 and the chisel for £15 . It did a few Family bathrooms before it was lent out and never came back ! You just need to get the first tile out ( shatter it ) then the others will pop easily using the chisel at a shallow angle . You can buy a big bladed floor scraper on a brush handle from Wickes to help scrape the boards underneath .
If the chipboard does needs to come up yo access pipes etc , you’ll find the screw heads are probably corroded or clagged up . The easy method around this is to use a 30mm hole saw without the pilot drill . Start with the saw at an angle then when it’s biting go to vertical and cut a core around the screw , quick and clean . You can then break the core off when the board is up and use grips to turn the screw out . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #392204 8th Jun 2020 12:12 pm
Lightwater

In 2010 I a bought a Bosch GSH388 SDS demolition hammer, 1150 watts, 2800 bpm, 10/8 J, 4.9 kg. Used it for removing tiles from a 1950s bathroom which had brick walls & concrete floor. Tiles were cemented on, well & truely!

For a relatively unfit person I found it a touch heavy for the walls, & not quite powerful enough for the floor. Have used it a couple of times since for minor things. I could take my time as I did not have to return it. So less chance of an accident by not rushing.

Get a demolition hammer & not a rotary hammer as they are built for demolition & have higher energy output.

I got someone to lay the tiles.
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #392226 9th Jun 2020 5:52 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Some years ago I tiled the floor just inside the front door. Job was completed at about midnight so off to bed and wife decides to put the milk bottles out for the morning. She discovers that the front door won't open because of the tiles. I then realise that if I can't get the door open I can't get to the hinges to get the door off. Only one solution - get the tiles up before they set so one hour later I am back where I started. Absolute disaster of a job. Laughing 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #392237 9th Jun 2020 10:01 am
Lightwater

I bet you weren't laughing at the time! A family joke that you will be reminded of for eternity!

The one thing I asked my tilers to do was have one height between kitchen & bathroom, it was easy & they couldn't get that right. Bathroom is a bit higher!

At least the door closes & the tiles slope a touch back to the shower for flooding, previously the floor sloped to the door! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #392240 9th Jun 2020 10:22 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Thank you every body for your contributions
martyn b you will be pleased to hear took your advice and took them all up. I hate bodges
I used a 6 inch bolster chisel and heavy hammer rather than a jack hammer as it was upstairs, didn't want to cause any further damage with shock vibration.
Interestingly my neighbour suggested wacking each floor tile 4 times in an x shape to shock crack the glue underside. I had an old automotive deadshock hammer, huge one filled with heavy sand. Wow, what a difference, each tile came up a treat, the two I didn't shock shattered into loads of pieces and took ages to chisel up. Thumbs Up

Now onto the next bit of installing Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #392479 13th Jun 2020 12:58 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1