« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Dashcam censorship?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
Dashcam censorship?

I had my car serviced at the local LR main stealer yesterday and when I arrived home I noticed that the dashcam had been disabled by disconnecting the power lead and turning the unit through 90 degrees so that it was pointing upwards to the roof of the car. Clearly I had some concerns about why they had done this and what were they doing with my car that they did not want me to see or know about, perhaps I should see some "unprofessional" use of the car or expect to recieve a few speed camera tickets in the post. I have used this dealer for many years and this is the first time the dashcam has been turned off.

Today I asked the garage why they had done this and their reply was that they did it because I am not allowed to film their employees while they are working and that there are vehicles on the premises that I was not allowed to see and for these reasons they routinely disabled all dashcams. If it is correct that there are lawful regulations preventing filming employees then at least they should have had the courtesy to inform me they would disconnect the dashcam and reconnect it when the work was completed.

I find this strange as there are many CCTV cameras inside and outside of the garage but I have not given them permission to film me and there was no notice anywhere that I could see saying that CCTV was in use. It is also strange that I could see into the workshop from the MoT viewing area and of course any vehicle that was in the showroom. While the car was being worked on the ignition and therefore the dashcam would be switched off and with the bonnet up even if it was on it would only film the bonnet. The only time it would be in use would be on the road test and what happened then is all that they have to hide. This is the local Land Rover main dealer, who I will not name at present, but I am very disappointed as something fishy is going on.

What are forum members views on this?

J

Post #391910 2nd Jun 2020 3:54 pm
ggb

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Personally I would check that they did in fact change what you paid to be changed. Also did you take a note of the mileage when you left it with them. I have a great distrust of dealers and avoid them whenever possible.

Post #391912 2nd Jun 2020 4:34 pm
devondave

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Sounds very fishy to me, keep us informed.

Post #391914 2nd Jun 2020 4:55 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

First the good news - any speeding tickets and you can prove that you were not driving - it was with the dealer, invoice will say so. Dealers cameras should clearly show when the car was delivered and picked up.

I'm biased, I don't have a camera and don't want one. The mother in law has a camera on her house and spends hours every day watching the neighbours - like twitching curtains but sitting down with a cup of tea, so all video cameras just remind me of curtain twitchers.

Dealers (garages in general) not completing full service items, what do you expect, put the technicians on a bonus and they will cut every corner they think they will get away with to make more money, it's human nature. Few actually take pride in their work, when they do they don't last long in a bonus driven environment, why do you think the likes of Kwick Fit have such a bad reputation? Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #391915 2nd Jun 2020 4:55 pm
JJE

England 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Our local bmw dealership does the same but there is a notice as you drive in asking you to unplug the dash cam,if you don’t they do it for you.

Post #391918 2nd Jun 2020 5:06 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Dashcam in car never been turned off while the car was being serviced though I get lots of footage of the bonnet! Of the garages who’ve serviced my car, only one has given cause for concern when I found that while moving the car to the service area he took it out for a “quick” spin through the village trashing the speed limit.

Post #391919 2nd Jun 2020 5:22 pm
TooBlue

United Kingdom 

If there is a visible notice, or the garage inform you that the dashcam will be disconnected or covered up then that is allowed.
It's their property, and you abide by their rules.

I have to visit 'sensitive' sites for work, and they put a seal over dashcams, and your phones cameras.
If the seal is broken you will be in deep pooh and the contents of your phone examined.

Post #391924 2nd Jun 2020 7:39 pm
exengineer

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

few years ago my camera caught two mechanics taken car for a spin to local café and eating in my car. mega complaint went in. now there is a box to tick on handover form you sign and they ask you to disable it.

Post #391927 2nd Jun 2020 8:17 pm
Farmer Chalk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Firenze Red

Rules regarding GDPR now cause companies all sorts of issues. Any employee who was filmed during the service of your vehicle are now legally entitled to a copy of the footage or ask for it to be removed...
I think you are being overly sensitive about something suspicious has taken place... this is now normal practice in the industry.

Post #391930 2nd Jun 2020 10:23 pm
Grue

New Zealand 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

To be honest, after thinking about it, I wouldn't think twice about them disconnecting mine... i wouldn't want to be working with a camera in my face. Not that they ever have done.

If i was distrustful of a place i was getting work done I'd use more subtle ways to provide myself with that information.

Post #391931 2nd Jun 2020 10:54 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I would have no issues with them disconnecting it. But pull out the cabin air filter & look at the engine air filter that you have new ones, if you have paid for them. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #391934 3rd Jun 2020 1:21 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

This has been a regular requirement of our BMW main dealer for a few years now, they do not normally touch the camera just unplug the power to it. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #391938 3rd Jun 2020 10:34 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Thanks every one for your comments. At the end of the day no harm has been done and as far as I can tell the service has been carried out correctly and the car is running very well.

J

Post #391940 3rd Jun 2020 11:04 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1