« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Lower Engine Oil Leak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
GaryLaird

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver
Lower Engine Oil Leak

Got the front of the car up on axle stands for the first time today. Removing the engine shield revealed what looks like a substantial oil leak that looks like its been going on for some time. The heat shield is saturated! I will need to get things all cleaned up with some gunk to reveal where the oils coming from but are there any known likely 'leak' spots on these engines to check?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Any tips on how to clean the heat shield....looks like it has some sort of insulation material attached. Gunk and pressure wash? 2010 FL2 TD4 GS

Post #369292 29th Mar 2019 5:09 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Rear Crank seal ?

Post #369294 29th Mar 2019 5:16 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Sump gasket is prone to leaks.

Post #369297 29th Mar 2019 5:20 pm
GaryLaird

Thanks for the input guys. The oil's kind of all over so suggests an oil leak higher up.....rear crank seal certainly possible. A big job to fix? A basic question but whats the pipe that runs under the engine...looking like an exhaust pipe but isnt Smile 2010 FL2 TD4 GS

Post #369298 29th Mar 2019 5:29 pm
I Like Chips

Just had my rear crank oil seal done by a local independent cost me £600. I described the problem to the service guy and he told me the cause of the oil leak without seeing the car. He told me they were doing one at the time and had another booked in.

The joker is the seal itself is only eleven quid to buy its getting to it that costs.

I did the two front seals myself, front crank and front cam, when I did the water pump timing and serpentine belts.

BTW the metal pipe is the part of the air flow system, the rubber pipes cause problems so need checking every so often.

Post #369310 29th Mar 2019 7:35 pm
bxzx16v

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

Bilt Hamber surfex Hd a stiff brush and a pressure washer should do the trick .

Mark 2009 FL2 TD4 SE (Sadly gone)
2007 FL2 TD4 GS (The wifes , gone after 8 great years)
2012 FL2 SD4 SPORT LE(Gone and missing it)
2015 DISCOVERY SPORT 2.2SD4 HSE (For now ?)
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 ecoboost ( Gone but what next )
2014 Ford Focus 2.0tdci Zetec S

Post #369317 29th Mar 2019 9:08 pm
GaryLaird

I Like Chips wrote:
Just had my rear crank oil seal done by a local independent cost me £600. I described the problem to the service guy and he told me the cause of the oil leak without seeing the car. He told me they were doing one at the time and had another booked in.

The joker is the seal itself is only eleven quid to buy its getting to it that costs.

I did the two front seals myself, front crank and front cam, when I did the water pump timing and serpentine belts.

BTW the metal pipe is the part of the air flow system, the rubber pipes cause problems so need checking every so often.

Thanks! Having posted above I googled rear crank seal......wish I hadn't Shocked Shocked Shocked
Gear box out to fix! Well if it is rear crank seal its not just that I think as oil is covering sump pan as well...all over really. Need to get it all cleaned up as a first step....then take it from there. I need to do the timing belt anyway so as you have done it makes sense to do the front seals while there.....good suggestion Thumbs Up 2010 FL2 TD4 GS

Post #369318 29th Mar 2019 9:12 pm
bxzx16v

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

I had the matting/covering took off the undertray on my wifes Fl2 and had the bottom of the engine steamcleaned . If the gearbox has to come out it's worth considering putting a new cllutch in perhaps .

Mark 2009 FL2 TD4 SE (Sadly gone)
2007 FL2 TD4 GS (The wifes , gone after 8 great years)
2012 FL2 SD4 SPORT LE(Gone and missing it)
2015 DISCOVERY SPORT 2.2SD4 HSE (For now ?)
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 ecoboost ( Gone but what next )
2014 Ford Focus 2.0tdci Zetec S

Post #369319 29th Mar 2019 9:19 pm
I Like Chips

GaryLaird wrote:

Thanks! Having posted above I googled rear crank seal......wish I hadn't Shocked Shocked Shocked
Gear box out to fix! Well if it is rear crank seal its not just that I think as oil is covering sump pan as well...all over really. Need to get it all cleaned up as a first step....then take it from there. I need to do the timing belt anyway so as you have done it makes sense to do the front seals while there.....good suggestion Thumbs Up

That's why I had a garage do it. ( done at 82,000miles ) You might be lucky with it just being the sump seal. All the best with it.

BTW Did you mention you had a Fuel Pump Authorisation fault code show up? I have come to the conclusion that it is a communication error rather than a real wiring fault. Could be something to do with the key fob module communication but I am no expert. It has never created any real problems for me other that logging a fault.

Post #369321 29th Mar 2019 9:46 pm
GaryLaird

bxzx16v wrote:
I had the matting/covering took off the undertray on my wifes Fl2 and had the bottom of the engine steamcleaned . If the gearbox has to come out it's worth considering putting a new cllutch in perhaps .

Mark

Wonder what the purpose of the mating is? Did LR know their engines were going to leak like Censored so needed incontinence pads on the undertray to disguise the fact Very Happy 2010 FL2 TD4 GS

Post #369325 29th Mar 2019 10:48 pm
GaryLaird

I Like Chips wrote:
GaryLaird wrote:

Gear box out to fix! Well if it is rear crank seal its not just that I think as oil is covering sump pan as well...all over really. Need to get it all cleaned up as a first step....then take it from there. I need to do the timing belt anyway so as you have done it makes sense to do the front seals while there.....good suggestion Thumbs Up

That's why I had a garage do it. ( done at 82,000miles ) You might be lucky with it just being the sump seal. All the best with it.

BTW Did you mention you had a Fuel Pump Authorisation fault code show up? I have come to the conclusion that it is a communication error rather than a real wiring fault. Could be something to do with the key fob module communication but I am no expert. It has never created any real problems for me other that logging a fault.

Yep I think a gearbox removal would be a step too far for me at this time as well!

No Fuel Pump code on mine.....although I have just about everything else Surprised 2010 FL2 TD4 GS

Post #369326 29th Mar 2019 10:50 pm
GaryLaird

bxzx16v wrote:
Bilt Hamber surfex Hd a stiff brush and a pressure washer should do the trick .

Mark
Thumbs Up 2010 FL2 TD4 GS

Post #369327 29th Mar 2019 10:52 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

GaryLaird wrote:
bxzx16v wrote:

Mark

Wonder what the purpose of the mating is? Did LR know their engines were going to leak like Censored so needed incontinence pads on the undertray to disguise the fact Very Happy

Soundproofing and to help stop any resonance in what is a large metal plate. Does become a pain when you have an oil leak! Big Cry

Post #369343 30th Mar 2019 10:14 am
SouthamFL2

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

The >13MY has a revised undertray (longer) and NO soundproofing in it whatsoever. It's just a piece of sheet steel.

Post #369344 30th Mar 2019 10:36 am
Germplus1

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Zermatt Silver

SYFL2 wrote:
Sump gasket is prone to leaks.

Do you know the part number for the sump gasket?

Post #379166 2nd Oct 2019 3:14 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>