Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Roof trim fixings.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Sebastian

2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Orkney Grey
Roof trim fixings.

As I'm now trapped at home I thought I'd try to progress installing the roof bars I bought last year. huge mistake I now realize.

Following the powerfulukltd video (https://youtu.be/K3gzcST6lSs?t=448) I've managed to get the three roof trim parts off, however in the process I have broken both the plastic rivet that holds the metal center piece to the plastic front piece, and also the fir tree connector that holds the plastic front piece onto the body.

I've had a look through https://www.vehicleclips.co.uk/search-by-model/land-rover but I'm not really sure which one's I need.

Anyone have any ideas which ones I need to get?

Last edited by Sebastian on 19th Apr 2020 12:25 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #390185 18th Apr 2020 8:18 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I've had to remove my roof rails again (prefer to do it myself) to get the car bodywork straightened out (currently keeping people employed). Have had the roof rails off 4 times for repairs on the run on corrugated roads in the outback. I'm not quite sure what is broken up there, a photo or 2 would help!

The fir-tree clips you should turn out as they are in a threaded hole, drill 2 small indentations (best with a pin vice) & then use a set of pointy nose pliers to turn out. If snapped off drill out with a 5mm drill & clean out thread with a M6 tap.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #390188 18th Apr 2020 11:57 pm
Sebastian

Having done some more google searching, the official part number is lr006460 for the left side, but it's the same on both sides.

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/l...panel.html

it's 51222A on that picture.

I've removed the weather strip from the car, here you can see the top and bottom of the trim

I cant find a part number on the metallic part, but the plastic front part is '853-4731'(left) and '853-4731-02'(right).

They should join together with a plastic rivet, it should go in the smaller of the two holes in the plastic part.

This is the front plastic part above here it should be mounted, there should be a fir tree clip to hold it onto the body work, that goes into the hold head bolt head looking fitting.

Here are the broken parts that I was left with:

The head of the fir tree clip just came right off and the rest of it is still in the bodywork (more to drill out)

The head is 20mm in diameter, and no idea how long the fir part is as it's still in the bodywork.

The plastic Rivet looks to be a smaller version of this:

https://www.vehicleclips.co.uk/6mm-plastic...e-afu1075/

The external Diameter of the rivet body is 4.5mm, and the rod is about 3mm diameter by 9mm in length

Post #390232 19th Apr 2020 10:17 pm
Lightwater

I was a bit lazy when I installed my rails & just eased up the plastic strips & stuck a block of wood under to drill a hole.

Down the bottom of our website ask Duckworth Parts or others for the bits, I've bought various things & they are very helpful.

When you come to putting on the roof rails join them together with the cross brace but the 4 Allen bolts leave about 2 full turns from tight (a 50mm extension on a 1/4 drive ratchet works well, the smaller the better). Put some towels on the roof so you don't scratch the roof.

Put some teflon tape around all threads.

Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #390237 20th Apr 2020 7:50 am
Lightwater

Have look at this thread if you haven't done a search, an issue with the integrity of the middle support connected to aluminium extrusion.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic31435.html?highlight=roof+rails Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #390238 20th Apr 2020 8:02 am
Sebastian

For anyone stupid enough to follow in my footsteps.

The Firtree connector is identical to the ones that go in the rear trim, if you managed to break them too, the Landrover part number is LR001651 for 4 of them.

The Plastic Rivet is 5mm Hole Collar Diameter: 8.7mm Stem Length: 7.9mm. I cant find the LR part, but there is a BMW part that is identical : 51-47-8-166-992

Post #391045 10th May 2020 8:40 pm
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I've just put some M6x20mm A2 cap heads in with a penny washer, I'm too short to see them.
I found on my non-rail car that the fir trees don't seal and the threads where very rusty, after spending a lot of time cleaning the threads, I didn't fancy putting non sealing bits of plastic back in. Maybe put them in with a bit of grease/vaseline to protect the threads.

Post #391059 11th May 2020 8:21 am
Lightwater

Put some teflon gas (it's thicker) thread seal tape on the bolt threads. It will seal & prevent rust as stainless will rust steel due to galvanic corrosion. Or use hot dipped galvanized bolts, not zinc plated. But still use Teflon tape anyway. M6 Allen bolts are the way to go. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #391061 11th May 2020 9:16 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1