Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Engine system fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Blitzer

hmm food for thought ...

Shortly after I started having issues I added the second earth lead between the battery and the starter mounting bolt.

My dash cam was earthed at the passenger door, but I had disconnected the live lead into the passenger well fuse box, just in case it was causing the problem. I have just disconnected the earth lead for the dash cam.

As I check i'm appending progress to my previous post for continuity ...

Post #393343 28th Jun 2020 3:25 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Please can you confirm what specification/type of seats do you have, otherwise I may be barking up the wrong tree! FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #393346 28th Jun 2020 6:16 pm
Blitzer

Its a freelander 2 HSE, both seats have heated panels, and electric control, the drivers seat has memory function.

Hope that helps

Post #393348 28th Jun 2020 6:28 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Blitzer wrote:
Here's where i'm at, rain has delayed play.

New battery arrived late yesterday, popped it on to a charge just to make sure all ok.
Refit ecu back into the car
Connect the new battery
lock/unlock the car
press start
engine system fault - did not start
reset the clock in the car
start car again - success
Currently idling to see if it fails, which it would have done before, but generally within 5 minute of starting

Going to check connections in passenger and driver area while it's idling .....

after it had been idling for about 10 minutes, opened passenger door to start removing trim to lift carpet, engine stopped straight away, engine system fault. Conicidence !!! tried to start again, wouldn't start same fault. getting a coffee then going to move carpet see whats uhnderneath .... could georgetina be on the money ?

Removed the door sill trims so I can lift carpet to get a look at the wiring loom, nothing evident yet, going to check the junctions that are under the white plastic cover on the left side of the passenger footwell.

I tried to start the engine again, came up with HDC fault, system unavailable this time .... didn't start

Checked the 3 connectors behind the white panel, nothing obvious unfortunately, general visual check of local wiring - nothing.

key in, no clutch pedal, press start
system check in progress
4 bleeps
terrain response system faulty
HDC fault system not available
bonnet open (yes it is)
engine system fault
special programs off
HDC fault system not available
switch off

Both Earthing Points G3D135-1 and G3D133-1 are under carpet in well according to alex_pescaru's diagram.

Look for damaged wiring or corroded earth point.
 FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #393356 28th Jun 2020 8:12 pm
Blitzer

Thanks IanMetro, I don't get much time in the evenings after work, so it'll probably be Saturday before I can get another go at this one. In the meantime i'll see if I can pinpoint the exact positions before I haul the carpet .... looking very like they may be under the seat

Thanks again

Post #393413 29th Jun 2020 7:38 pm
Blitzer

Well, my last attempt didn't go well ...

Recharged the battery, tried starting a few times, but would only give a very short clunk and not try to turn over. Usual error of engine system fault. Gradually degraded to a state that the vehicle would not display anything more on the dash and pressing the remote unlock button 3 times before I heard the doors "unlock"

ECU is away for testing, and if the company find a fault will transfer the "coding" into a recon ECU, ship for testing for a couple of weeks. If all works great if not then return for a refund minus testing/data transfer fee.

Fingers crossed .........

Post #394928 1st Aug 2020 8:03 pm
Blitzer

I received the replacement ecu today, fitted and the car started first time, tried plenty of starts and a few journeys, so far so good.

One little niggle, when i press the key fob once all doors unlock, used to be only drivers door, then a second press opened the rest. Vaguely remember theres a way to set this again ....

Post #395047 4th Aug 2020 7:50 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Aero_383 wrote:
After software update I have reset my key fob because I want all the doors, filler flap and boot to unlock on one press. It is in the book (but tbh how many of us read the book)...

Lock car on fob then hold lock and unlock buttons for 3 seconds. Indicators will flash and you now have one press total access. Repeat procedure to revert to drivers door unlock alone.

copied from here: https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic16772.html

Post #395048 4th Aug 2020 8:19 pm
Blitzer

Cheers ReggiePerrin, just had a quick shot at it - pouring here.

Looks like its now working, except I have to hold the button down each press rather than just a quick press ...

I'll have a better check tomorrow hopefully not raining, and i'll put a new battery in the second fob see if it's any different.

Post #395050 4th Aug 2020 8:39 pm
Blitzer

Windows now operating as expected, although the key fob appears to be a bit ropey.

Can take 4 presses to get 1st unlock, and another few to get passenger door unlock, also on occasion it triggers all windows down or up as if it has registered a "long press" The battery has been replaced in this particular fob. The other needs done.

Suspect that the key fobs age is showing, might need to get a new fob programmed - any good recommendations

Post #395206 7th Aug 2020 10:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12