« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Burnt out headlamp loom connector
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AndyPP

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black
Burnt out headlamp loom connector

Blew a bulb a day or so ago and went to change the bulb and found the loom connector had melted one of the two terminals. Its a short section of loom with a snap to connector that looks to be deliberately replaceable.

Is this a know issue and any ideas what caused it? The bulb filament is intact, but it's burned off one of the two electrical connections on the bulb socket.

http://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/userp...ection.jpg

Post #388117 13th Mar 2020 2:49 pm
Largered

Note .... it is easier to view the photos by pressing 'gallery' button under your message, much clearer.

Can't help with the connector, although this is a classic example of a poor 'mechanical' joint as opposed to a electrical 'solder' joint. I do understand why there is a plug/socket there though.

Here is a thread which may help you .....
https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic30484.html
found it by 'Search' button on top blue bar.

Cermaic HB3 bulb holder.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9005-HB3-CERAMI...SwY45UQ-C2

Yoi will need to solder the leads onto the short loom and heat shrink sleeve them.
Good Luck

Post #388118 13th Mar 2020 2:57 pm
AndyPP

Thanks.

Just spoke to LR dealer parts depot and the small lead isn't listed as available separately. Whole headlamp unit required! That ebay lead looks worth a go.

Cheers

Post #388120 13th Mar 2020 3:57 pm
congoblue

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Loire Blue

One side of mine went like that and I replaced with similar ebay plug. The cable on them is unnecessarily thick but otherwise work fine.

I would advise crimping it in with butt crimps rather than soldering as the heat of the lamp conducts down the cable which gets quite hot. Probably wouldn't get hot enough to melt the solder but still.

Post #388151 13th Mar 2020 10:07 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Anyone disturbed that that type of heat on that connection just seems simply wrong? Shocked Shocked

Post #388158 13th Mar 2020 11:08 pm
Largered

"I would advise crimping it in with butt crimps rather than soldering as the heat of the lamp conducts down the cable which gets quite hot. Probably wouldn't get hot enough to melt the solder but still."

I have to disagree with you on BOTH counts. I have never heard so much nonsense, solder melting ?

I have spent my life's work in electronics and can support my above posts with actual knowledge.

Post #388168 14th Mar 2020 9:36 am
congoblue

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Loire Blue

Well, I only say that from personal experience I have had a joint to a lampholder come unsoldered before because of heat down the wire from the lamp. It was a bigger lamp than an HB3. When you buy the replacement HB3 lampholder you will see it is moulded in ceramic and the wiring is silicone insulated due to expected heat.

Post #388176 14th Mar 2020 10:47 am
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

@AndyPP

Are you sure the bulb specs are right, and is it from a reputable source? The remaining bulb side pin looks far too small, which would cause a localised hot spot. I mention it as I bought some cheap un-branded, non E marked bulbs from Amazon (not realising they where so dodgy) and they caused me the same damage.

I replaced mine with genuine Delphi connectors, but I really like the idea of these ceramic connectors that have been linked to.

On the subject of melting solder in a car, I had a car come in with an issue where the cabin blower no longer worked, and after much head scratching pulled the lid off the supply relay to find the solder in the internal contacts had melted and caused the issue. So it does happen.

It's not un-usual for me to make cable joints for 70amp+ supplies on 12v systems and so long as they are correctly jointed (twisted correctly, offset joints, sealed joints, mechanically isolated etc) I've never had a problem with solder. I guess if you get to the lower melting point of solder, you're having a thermal event anyway Laughing

Post #388226 14th Mar 2020 8:30 pm
AndyPP

It was a bulb replaced at the last mot by my garage, I had the ring 120%+ bulbs in before. It looked like a decent ish quality bulb the garage fitted but can't be sure. The metal pin on the bulb connection was totally burnt away!

The insulation on the wires inside the headlight was an absolute that to get off, its like the wires were hot dipped in the insulation and would not strip off. I had to melt the insulation off the wire!

It seems to be working OK. Put some osram 120% bulbs in and its not caught fire yet!

Post #389158 29th Mar 2020 3:33 pm
AndyPP

Just checked photos and it was a lucas 9005 12v 60w bulb the garage put in

Post #389160 29th Mar 2020 3:42 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1