« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Evoque Advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Sperly

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

GundogSD4 wrote:
Our 64 plate Metropolis is the first FL2 we have owned but a pal has a 10 plate auto and it feels and sounds like a very different car to travel in... like chalk and cheese you might say, I dont know what the exact differences are but ours feels better built smoother and quieter somehow.

I too noticed a huge difference between a MY12 HSE and a MY13 HSE Lux (later known as a Metropolis for 14/15MY)

I seem to recall that they had improved the acoustics by adding a deeper pile carpet, amongst other things. Both vehicles were SD4 Auto, yet I felt the MY13 a lot smoother and quieter than the MY12

Post #388126 13th Mar 2020 5:45 pm
3disco

United Kingdom 

I had a 13my freelander and although very nice and practical always thought it second to the three discovery’s I’d had before so bought a discovery4 I started to have jitters with hearing a number of crankshaft failures on said vehicle so bought an evoque and am very pleased with it,its a 2.2 with nearly all the bells and whistles,it has a much more modern interior than either the 4 or freelander and as said is a very nice place to be although the boot is smaller but is adequate for what I use it for. I personally did not want the ingenium engine as they can be troublesome with oil dilution.

Post #388133 13th Mar 2020 6:45 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I went from a FL2 to an Evoque Dynamic Lux. Yes, it is smaller inside but big enough for our needs - just the two of us and a dog crate fills the boot but it is a joy to drive round the twisty lanes in dynamic mode with virtually no body roll (be careful though, later so-called 'Dynamic' models didn’t have the Dynaride suspension as standard). Can’t speak for the standard models with 18” wheels (the dynamics have 20’s). Interior spec, being Range Rover, is a bit more premium than the FL2 and it is very comfortable on long drives. Initially I missed the opening sunroof and the armrests of the FL2 HSE but the other bits make up for it. Definitely get the 2.2 not the 2.0 and the later 2.2's had the 9 speed gearbox which I hear helps with economy and acceleration but I’m happy enough with my 6 speed. I’ve had mine nearly 4 1/2 years now and apart from an electrical glitch just after buying it which was done under the warranty, all I’ve had go wrong with it was a passenger front door lock last October. When the 2 year approved used warranty expired I didn’t renew it. I maintain it myself and apart from servicing I’ve changed brakes all round (upgraded fronts to the larger petrol discs), battery, tyres, gearbox flush, haldex service and timing belt and water pump replacement. I wouldn’t go back to an FL2. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #388145 13th Mar 2020 7:58 pm
Billsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Tonga Green

Thanks Steve, sounds like it's been a good choice for you.

Seems to be the preferred car for scammers on Ebay! Lots of dodgy adverts featuring evoque's floating around.

This evening I was all prepared to catch a train and go buy one (which was a quick sale due to divorce). Then the guy started saying that the car could not be viewed as he was working offshore but I could do a pay on delivery payment through PayPal and he would get the car shipped to me within the 14 days refund period. I said no thanks.
I've had a few dodgy responses to questions from what I suspect are cloned listings.

Last edited by Billsy on 13th Mar 2020 10:28 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #388156 13th Mar 2020 9:39 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

^^^^^ Run fast from that one!!!!!!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #388159 13th Mar 2020 10:11 pm
Farmer Chalk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Firenze Red

Also be aware that lots of them are being stolen... therefore lots of them will be out there for sale to unsuspecting buyers!
Check it out with a fine tooth comb and never buy one on a private sale without doing the deal inside the address shown on the logbook!

Post #388160 13th Mar 2020 10:23 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Yeah. If you get a keyless entry one either keep the keys in a faraday pouch or disable the keyless entry which is easy to do with the remote fob. I think that applies to most keyless entry cars. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #388161 13th Mar 2020 11:17 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Farmer Chalk wrote:
Also be aware that lots of them are being stolen... therefore lots of them will be out there for sale to unsuspecting buyers!
Check it out with a fine tooth comb and never buy one on a private sale without doing the deal inside the address shown on the logbook!

Do you think that if Ebay required a photo of the VIN on the vehicle to be displayed that would help to prevent some of these scams? Similarly for bicycles, a photo of the frame number might stop thieves selling them on Ebay.

A couple of times Ive requested the frame number of some nearly new bikes that I fancied on Ebay and never got a reply. Wonder why ? Jules

Post #388162 14th Mar 2020 6:46 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I think showing vin numbers would increase the chances of cloning vehicles! Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #388164 14th Mar 2020 7:35 am
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Billsy wrote:
Thanks Steve, sounds like it's been a good choice for you.

Seems to be the preferred car for scammers on Ebay! Lots of dodgy adverts featuring evoque's floating around.

This evening I was all prepared to catch a train and go buy one (which was a quick sale due to divorce). Then the guy started saying that the car could not be viewed as he was working offshore but I could do a pay on delivery payment through PayPal and he would get the car shipped to me within the 14 days refund period. I said no thanks.
I've had a few dodgy responses to questions from what I suspect are cloned listings.

That * working off shore * bull was on here a while back I think ? Be careful mate and good luck with whatever you end up with Thumbs Up

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #388167 14th Mar 2020 8:28 am
Farmer Chalk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Firenze Red

jules wrote:
Farmer Chalk wrote:

Do you think that if Ebay required a photo of the VIN on the vehicle to be displayed that would help to prevent some of these scams? Similarly for bicycles, a photo of the frame number might stop thieves selling them on Ebay.

A couple of times Ive requested the frame number of some nearly new bikes that I fancied on Ebay and never got a reply. Wonder why ?

I”m in agreement with Steve D here... unfortunately it would just increase the amount of cloning... over the years I’ve seen hundreds of rung and cloned cars... some simply with nothing changed other than a set of number plates from a similar type car... I.e. you do an Hpi check and it comes back clear because you are actually checking a different car, not the one you are looking at...
The next level is that they will change the identity by replacing the vin stickers... which by the way are now such outstanding quality that they are almost impossible to determine a wrong one..

Never rely on the windscreen sticker!!
Check the engraved vin as this is much harder to replicate...
Very very rarely have they ever changed the engine number so this is the one to trust if ever you want to trust any number on a vehicle..

Don’t ever believe in the bargain! You know the old saying!
Don’t believe in the old sob stories either...I’m getting divorced.. my mother in law is dying etc etc...trust your instincts! This is their day job and they are bloody good at it!

I would never buy a car unless you are sitting in the kitchen of the seller and there is a huge wad of history and receipts...and the logbook is showing the address that you are at....

Post #388171 14th Mar 2020 8:56 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Off topic I know but …
The latest keyless entry fobs have an accelerometer (movement sensor) built in. So they don't broadcast the signal unless they have been moving. Stops thieves from boosting the signal when the keys are on the sideboard. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #388172 14th Mar 2020 8:59 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Nephew went to buy a car advertised on eBay, they were to meet at a supermarket car park, when he got there, no car but three traveller "gentlemen" who were upset that he hadn't brought the £2k in cash for the car that they obviously didn't have.

Threats of - we have your address, be back in 30 minutes or we fire bomb your house.

Now I know dealers can be expensive, and occasionally play hard ball, but I for one am not buying a car from anywhere else. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #388173 14th Mar 2020 9:09 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

There is something to be said for buying from a reputable dealer, your consumer rights are protected, you'll get a warranty and there is comeback if the car turns out not to be as expected. I generally buy from a dealer, paying a bit more for peace of mind then servicing myself.
Happy with my Freelander for now although my wife is itching to change her tiguan for an evoque. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #388178 14th Mar 2020 10:08 am
Billsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Tonga Green

That * working off shore * bull was on here a while back I think ? Be careful mate and good luck with whatever you end up with Thumbs Up

Sheep[/quote]

Cheers. I was suspicious from the start. The car was reasonably priced and wasn't stupidly cheap but when I contacted them to arrange a viewing and possible purchase they gave me the story that it was their husbands car, were going through a divorce and could I please arrange with the partner.
I emailed the guy directly and got a reply that was a very well put together company email address with headers and footers from a petrochemical company with working links and a live linked in profile.
I was now very dubious as the email was a gmail address and not a large petrochemical companies address. I played along with it to see how it would progress. At first the emails were very well structured and worded (probably pre drafted) then they got worse with bad grammar and short responses.
They stopped emailing after I declined to do a pay after delivery through Ebay and said I would only buy the car in person.
Very well put together scam initially but it started to go wrong just by me asking simple questions.

It's a shame as I have bought and sold a fair few cars on Ebay over the years and have done well but it seems swamped with scammers these days.

Post #388182 14th Mar 2020 10:38 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>