« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > JD Power Dependability Survey 2020
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Tigger

United Kingdom 

jules wrote:
Maybe moving to Slovaki will improve this aspect.

A not uncommon belief that moving production overseas will fix a perceived reliability problem.

But, the designs are the same, the assembly processes will be the same and so will many of the sub assemblies that the assembly plant puts together. The only difference is that the workforce will be inexperienced and all will be rapidly learning on the job, using your new car to practice on. It may take a while to bring the quality up to the level of Solihull, but there’s no reason why it should improve on it. Not unless there’s a major design change, or a change in production methods, changes that might be enacted, irrespective of location.

Post #387977 10th Mar 2020 11:04 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

@Tigger I must admit I added that on the end with a bit tongue in cheek.
But now I think about it , at the time when I bought our Fabia and Octavia VRSs it was widely held view that Skoda quality (as opposed to luxury) was better than VW or Audi yet they were all basically the same VAG cars (polo and golf respectively) but built in the Czech Republic instead of Germany. Jules

Post #387984 11th Mar 2020 6:06 am
jules

j77 wrote:
Here in the UK they finished 21st out of 25, finishing above Jaguar, Audi, Fiat and BMW.

Still nothing really to be proud of though for a prestige make is it Jules

Post #387985 11th Mar 2020 6:11 am
j77

Scotland 

It’s a JD power survey, it’s not worth the paper it’s written on, whether they come top or bottom the survey in my eyes is meaningless.

I’m on my 10th LR and only one has left me at the side of the road, my D3, which is how I judge dependability. And my overall experience with the brand I’d place them a lot higher. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #387986 11th Mar 2020 6:31 am
pelyma

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

With the issues you've had Shocked D4 HSE Lux for me
FL2 HSE Zermatt & Alpacca for the wife now gone
Skoda Yeti L&K for the wife.

Post #387990 11th Mar 2020 8:34 am
Sperly

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

I have been in the Land Rover camp for over 10 years now....2 x Freelander and now a DS.

NONE of them have ever let me down in the past, and I sincerely hope that the DS continues in that reliable vein of form.

I had more trouble with Vauxhalls. Like forums, (not this one specifically) Surveys only ever bring out the worst in a vehicle ownership, and rarely a positive. If you believed everything posted on the DS forum regarding reliability, JLR wouldn't sell a single vehicle! Never mind the fact that it is (currently) their best seller!

Post #388000 11th Mar 2020 10:22 am
Dartman the one

England 

If you drive a survey reported reliable car only reported major failure will be noted, if a survey reports the car is unreliable then everything is reported to continue the myth. Based on thatJLR has no chance, however if the survey is basd on LR against only 4X4 from other manufacturers it will be much higher up the list.
The often reported Hyundai SF best tow car is showing up a few cars that the awd clutch doesn't work and never has, only found out when they tried to tow the caravan off a wet field and the rear wheels wouldn't spin, only the front wheels and no motion, one wonders how many not towing know their car is also duff Whistle my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #388003 11th Mar 2020 11:35 am
j77

Scotland 

pelyma wrote:
With the issues you've had Shocked

Yeah the Velars had the odd issue or 10 Laughing but it’s never left me at the side of the road. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #388018 11th Mar 2020 7:27 pm
jules

Out of interest, what were those odd issues?

A new care should have no issues really. Jules

Post #388041 12th Mar 2020 12:51 pm
Sperly

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Probably the same problems as my neighbours......InControl Touch Pro Duo gremlins.

Post #388044 12th Mar 2020 1:37 pm
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Freelander 2 lovely car had it for almost 10 years. Very Happy
Comfortable and nice to drive.................except when I'm under it trying to fix niggly Censored faults.

I never go anywhere in it without a code reader in the glove box so that I can clear the reduced engine code when it thinks the turbo has taken a hissy fit.

Still I'll most likely keep it until I can't fix it any more. Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #388052 12th Mar 2020 2:52 pm
j77

Scotland 

jules wrote:

A new care should have no issues really.

Which part of the car would you like me to start at? Laughing

Software is the main one, just stupid things, like Bluetooth not working, live services not working. Each update would cure one issue but create another.

The big one though was the headlights cracking, fought with LR on that one as they claimed my car must have been hit by something, even eventually got the headlight manufacturer involved and amazingly my dealer actually backed me up, I jumped through god knows how many hoops, getting photos taken, tech manager from the factory came up to inspect the car and took hundreds of photos. I was looking at least a £6.5k bill, yes £3k per light plus fitting.

Then the rear one went the same way Laughing but I found a technical bulletin relating to that one, it was changed without question.

I’ve got a fair bit of corrosion on the brake discs which is a known issue but it’s not bad enough for LR to replace them.

Oh almost forgot about the rear shock absorber, it was leaking fluid about 4 weeks into ownership.

Oh how we laughed Laughing 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #388085 12th Mar 2020 8:43 pm
Largered

"Software is the main one,....."

In fairness the FL2 had many software issues on release.
Stupid things, like a dealer taking ALL DAY to install new software ..... for the panoramic roof !!
Couldn't get tow electrics to work .......+ many more. (which I am sure must be detailed in very early posts here.)

Post #388086 12th Mar 2020 9:15 pm
jules

j77 wrote:
jules wrote:

A new care should have no issues really.

Which part of the car would you like me to start at? Laughing

Software is the main one, just stupid things, like Bluetooth not working, live services not working. Each update would cure one issue but create another.

The big one though was the headlights cracking, fought with LR on that one as they claimed my car must have been hit by something, even eventually got the headlight manufacturer involved and amazingly my dealer actually backed me up, I jumped through god knows how many hoops, getting photos taken, tech manager from the factory came up to inspect the car and took hundreds of photos. I was looking at least a £6.5k bill, yes £3k per light plus fitting.

Then the rear one went the same way Laughing but I found a technical bulletin relating to that one, it was changed without question.

I’ve got a fair bit of corrosion on the brake discs which is a known issue but it’s not bad enough for LR to replace them.

Oh almost forgot about the rear shock absorber, it was leaking fluid about 4 weeks into ownership.

Oh how we laughed Laughing

Sounds like you've had a rather frustrating and time consuming series of issues.

I feel that Ive been lucky with all my JLR vehicles - had no major issues except when my TD5 Disco auto suddenly refused to move out of P and had to be transported off my drive to the Dealers. Jules

Post #388154 13th Mar 2020 9:24 pm
rustyolds3

United Kingdom 

Tigger wrote:
You can put the phrase “money pit” on YouTube down to that complete tool, Scotty Kilmer; the Donald Trump of YouTube Evil or Very Mad

Besides, what kind of fool starts with a complex and costly, 16 year and 160,000 miles old, second hand car and expects complete reliability and inexpensive ownership?

What always amazes me when people look at old Landrovers (or anything previously hideously expensive) is the lack of recognition at the low to non-existent depreciation. Sure, if you buy a new RR or D5 or anything, the lack of reliability is important. If, however, like me you buy something 15-20 years old for 5% of its original price then where's the issue?

I paid £1650 for a 2000 4.0l P38 with 109k miles - spent about £1200 replaced radiator, viscous fan, hoses, thermostat, oil filter change (engine and GB) new front shocks and rebuilt the air compressor. Spend a bit of time tidying an already great interior and have recently done the heater matrix 'o' rings. I have done about 6000 miles in 18 months (including a 1000 mile round trip to Wales with all the family) and have had ZERO problems (apart from putting 1/16th of the car's value in the tank every time I fill up!!!).

Reliability in cars is almost always to do with maintenance. If you think you can run a car cheaply just because it only cost £1500 then you're on a hiding to nothing - consider them £50k cars that you've 'stolen' and you should be fine.

Post #389576 5th Apr 2020 10:25 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12