Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > What does/should "FSH" mean?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
KeithB

United Kingdom 
What does/should "FSH" mean?

Before buying the car we did last weekend I enquired about a 2009 model advertised by a dealer with "FSH"., which I took to mean "full service history", I asked the dealer for details of the service history and it turned out that in its 14 yrs of use it had only missed 1 service, i.e been "serviced" annually with just 1 missing. BUT, only 4 of the services had been what I would call major services and the rest were just engine oil and filter changes and none of the additional items specified at 10 yrs had been done. It hadn't had a major service since 2017, meaning no other filters changed since 2017 and no brake fluid changes.

So, if a dealer says a car has "FSH", does that mean there are "full" details of what has actually been carried out, however inadequate it might have been or does/should it mean the manufacturer's recommendations have been adhered to "fully"?

Interested in your views as I'm thinking of getting in touch with the Trading Standards Dept with responsibility for the area in question.

Post #438427 15th Jan 2024 12:50 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Caveat emptor.

I think most people would assume that FSH "Full Service History" meant serviced in accordance with manufacturers recommendations at a suitably equipped garage.

Its a moot point that the JLR schedule may actually be inadequate eg so-called "sealed for life" driveline components.

To my mind it has a service history but definitely not a FSH.

I assume the dealer was hoping the buyer would trust them (big mistake!) and accept FSH.

But has FSH actually been defined in law ? Jules

Post #438432 15th Jan 2024 2:21 pm
KeithB

United Kingdom 

Well this emptor was certainly caveat and looked elsewhere.!

I've referred it to Trading Standards, but I'll be surprised if they take it up.

Post #438436 15th Jan 2024 3:01 pm
Just a driver

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

I would of thought it just meant it has a service history. I could not imagine anyone using a main dealership to service a car after it’s about 3 years old or after a lease company has sent it to auction. At 14 years old unless personally known I would not give it that much credit.

Post #438437 15th Jan 2024 3:18 pm
KeithB

United Kingdom 

I'm sure there are owners who continue to use main dealers for servicing after the 3 year mark but that's not the issue. The issue is whether the abbreviation/term fsh/full service history should be used to describe a vehicle that has not been serviced in accordance with the manufacture's schedule. I agree that a service can be carried out by anyone and very minor omissions can be overlooked but surely a car that has not had a full/major (call it what you like) for 6 yrs should not be described as having a FSH. Nobody made this dealer use the term, he could have said "some" or "partial" service history, but he said F/full, presumably because he thought it would make the car more desireable to potential buyers. I don't think he should get away with that. We'll see if trading standards agree.

Post #438439 15th Jan 2024 5:48 pm
3landertwo

people who are selling a vehicle YOU want will boast FULL DEALER SERVICE HISTORY and have the service stamped book/invoices to show.

good luck in your quest.

Post #438442 15th Jan 2024 6:16 pm
Just a driver

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

I wish you good luck, it will certainly be interesting to see how long they take to reply and what they actually say and do .

Post #438443 15th Jan 2024 6:19 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Shocked I take the term FSH with a pinch of salt, same with stamps in the book.
Unless the vehicle is supplied with extensive documentation and receipts showing lots of parts that have been replaced and lots of money changing hands, then it's safest to assume a patchy maintenance regime. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #438449 15th Jan 2024 9:04 pm
KeithB

United Kingdom 

Chaps you seem to be taking the view that the only valid evidence of service history is a collection of original invoices and bank statements dating back however many years and that consequently anything less is worthless and dealers are free to describe vehicles however they wish because nothing short of a collection of invoices is to be believed and everyone knows that. I don't believe that. There are honest dealers out there and to protect them and buyers in general, the liars have to be confronted and exposed for what they are. Given the state of local government finances and the cuts in all sorts of services I shall not be surprised if I hear nothing at all from Trading Standards, but I've done what I can.

Post #438457 15th Jan 2024 11:17 pm
FL2ukkent

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

my wife’s car a vauxhall we purchased new and now five years old has been serviced and MOT every year by the local vauxhall main dealer, however no stamps in the service book as all done on their computer these days. Do get the invoice and paper work which I keep safe.

Post #438467 16th Jan 2024 11:09 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Stamps and signatures can be added at any time. The thinking unscrupulous stealer will add mileage consistent with the recorded mileage from the online MOT documentation just in case a clued up punter checks. While I’d look through for dealer stamps a nice folder of receipts and invoices means much more to me.

Post #438468 16th Jan 2024 11:17 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Some years ago I bought a car from a main Ford dealer and we couldn't find the service book so the dealer said that they would look for it. Sure enough a few days later the book arrived all stamped up etc and with a letter of apology. Many months later whilst scrambling under the seats: guess what I found. yes the original service book, and the dates and mileages were all different. After that I only believe invoices for servicing and I always have an oil change as soon as possible. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #438470 16th Jan 2024 11:53 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Just a thought in case it's of interest to anyone but I had an email yesterday from Yeovil Landrover advertising their 3+ scheme for fixed price servicing for cars over 3 years old. I don't know if this is a general JLR initiative as not all dealers participate. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #438472 16th Jan 2024 11:59 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1