England 

Funny £3 a month solves all the ills of the world

Post #387305 29th Feb 2020 7:06 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Largered wrote:
Have you not heard of The Heart of England Forest
https://www.heartofenglandforest.com/

I know a lady who volunteers to plant saplings on the venture.
She has also taken delivery of her first 200 saplings to plant on her farm.

Your £3 will probably go towards schemes like this which helps farmers pay their way.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/grants-...year-round

So is a good idea(l)

You note that as I have a Bristol accent that I have added extra L to the word idea.

Thus to save confusion the young lady's name is pronounced Gretal.

I hope this assists with your translation of the placards.

A unique feature of Bristol dialect is 'parasitic L' (or 'Bristol L' as it's often called in popular descriptions). This refers to the process whereby a word that in most accents ends in a weak vowel - e.g. area, idea and cinema - is pronounced in Bristol dialect with a word final <l> - i.e. to sound like 'areal', 'ideal' and 'cinemal'. This feature is often caricatured in stereotypical portrayals of Bristolian speech.

https://blogs.bl.uk/sound-and-vision/2014/...alect.html

PS It is widely rumoured that it was a Bristol sailor that first sighted land after a very long voyage over the Atlantic.
From the crowsnest he shouted "It's a Miracle", however John Cabot, correcting for the expected dialect, removed the last (parasitic) L, and thought he said "It's America".
The rest is history. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #387309 29th Feb 2020 7:56 pm
Largered

Spot-on Metrol

Post #387313 29th Feb 2020 8:05 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

And I thought it was Brizzall....... Wink Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #387314 29th Feb 2020 8:08 pm
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Slightly disappointing tone on this thread I have to say.

Although there will have been lots of bandwagon riders out there at that protest, and whether or not you believe in climate change or not, at least the girl is trying to change something that in my opinion needs changed. They are protesting because they are being ignored.

Change is needed. Maybe not in the ways she is suggesting, but she is just a kid, you can't expect grand schemes without experience. But a kid who sees that things are getting out of hand and that it's future generations who are going to suffer for our abuse of the planet. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #387316 29th Feb 2020 8:50 pm
Sperly

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

She needs to be targeting the biggest polluter in the world then, China. Not little old UK, or anywhere else by comparison.

I wonder why she has never taken her pilgrimage there?

Post #387321 29th Feb 2020 10:03 pm
Joedenise

England 

But who is pulling her strings and paying for her to travel all over the world I take it she is not walking

Post #387324 29th Feb 2020 10:42 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Trouble is china is making our products and causing the pollution on our behalf. Every time I see such things as 'everlasting' metal water bottles I wonder if plastic recyclable ones might actually be a better idea.
Or heaven forbid a glass and a tap.
Ive just ordered 400 solar panels but am I saving the environment or adding to the pollution? I'd probably be better off dropping a turbine in the river but that's not allowed without extra special permission. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #387325 29th Feb 2020 10:43 pm
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

There's no easy answer, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't be trying. The impact will be felt fully in many years to come, which is too far away for most people to worry about. But that's not really the point. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #387326 29th Feb 2020 10:46 pm
Sperly

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Joedenise wrote:
But who is pulling her strings and paying for her to travel all over the world I take it she is not walking

Probably the same hedge fund managers that sponsored Gina Miller, another nobody that was elevated to Queen of Anti-Brexit.

Too many sinister politics at work with the pixie, funded by who? Some global cartel, which will no doubt be revealed in 30 years time when its all too late in any event.

Without wishing to dilute the topic, look at how conveniently the markets have suddenly collapsed over the coronavirus....businesses are using it as an excuse for poor performance, politicians will use it as an excuse to tax everyone further, and it will be a great time to bury bad news, just like 9/11 was.

Conspiracy? Only a fool would discount that theory.....

Post #387327 29th Feb 2020 10:55 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Chuckalicious wrote:
Slightly disappointing tone on this thread I have to say.

Although there will have been lots of bandwagon riders out there at that protest, and whether or not you believe in climate change or not, at least the girl is trying to change something that in my opinion needs changed. They are protesting because they are being ignored.

Change is needed. Maybe not in the ways she is suggesting, but she is just a kid, you can't expect grand schemes without experience. But a kid who sees that things are getting out of hand and that it's future generations who are going to suffer for our abuse of the planet.

I agree.

It is most likely true that, in this battle between 'Human Need' and 'World Resources', the world will win and still be here, long after we have used up everything that we had needed to live.

I can't criticise the youngsters for wanting to change something, although I am not sure how achieve sustainability for the human race as we know it. I fear that the world population must somehow shrink to a level where we only use the amount of energy the sun provides.

One thing I have learnt in my lifetime is that humans are not very good at taking responsibility and forming a long term plan, but instead look around for a 'scapegoat' to blame, or stick their head in the sand and (optimistically) pretend there is no problem.

The more observant of you will note that, having said all this, I still drive around in a large car (and now mainly for pleasure)
----Guilty FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #387329 29th Feb 2020 11:03 pm
Largered

Our predecessors didn't save the dinosaurs for us !
Our children have to play with toy ones !!
Whistle

Post #387330 29th Feb 2020 11:32 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Maybe I am just simply "cheap" but a glass and tap water works or through a filter. I have been known to use a SS metal container on many an occasion. Also, I make my own coffee, even instant when necessary...... Whistle WTH would I pay for coffee when I can make it and take it?
Sure, there are times I will buy bottled water but not a daily occurrence for me.
As for Greta, power to her doing what she feels is her thing. The world will turn regardless Smile Wink

Post #387331 29th Feb 2020 11:50 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Seems trendy to blame farmers/meat production but when I go to town and see all the excess I wonder who is really to blame.
plastics disposed in all bins, throw away fashion, car after car blocking the roads.
Im no saint here but what the hell?

My kids school decided all school trousers must have a logo on them, so everyone had to buy loads more and all those saved for siblings had to be binned. My dad went on a cruise and met a national purveyor of school uniforms, he said business was brisk! At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #387332 29th Feb 2020 11:56 pm
Dartman the one

England 

The world has always had climate change, species come and go, the world will evolve, whether human beings in their present form are part of the future world is very moot.
One thing that somewhat puzzles me is why are we destroying forests which take in CO2 and produce oxygen to grow a substitute for fossil energy. Fossil fuels are a product of dead organic matter and possibly be part of a greater plan to allow a species to live on this planet, therefore it may well be that tearing down forests to produce a fuel not from fossils has some credence but not for high oxygen breathing species.
My other question is that plastics are a product of a fossil (oil) oil is a product of degraded organic material, to get plastic a chemical process is required, so a chemical process should be capable of reversing the process, there again oil is pretty toxic and perhaps that is the reason it was formed buried, so the answer must be bury it down the hole oil was extracted from Whistle my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #387338 1st Mar 2020 8:28 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>