« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Roof bar fittings
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RobW22

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Indus Silver
Roof bar fittings

Hi people, I recently bought a second hand pair of original roof bars from Ebay and they've turned up without the fittings. Apart from the LR roof bar fitting kit which is £67, does anyone know where I can get the said fittings, the two big nuts with threaded tube and the step washers, the rest is off the shelf stuff, TIA

Post #386400 13th Feb 2020 8:28 pm
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

Give Powerfuluk a go, they sell the fittings as well as bars. MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #386443 14th Feb 2020 1:30 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I fitted one of the aftermarket kits last year, unfortunately didnt keep the instructions.
The large "nut" or what ever you call it that is bolted on first then the bolts screws the rail down into it.
I think its an M10 male thread that goes into the roof with an M6 female thread inside it.
Would it not just be the case of drilling the roof rail mountaing foot out to accept an M10 bolt and using an appropriate amount of big washers underneath the foot to space it up off the rood enough? That seems like the easiest and cheapest soloution. Thumbs Up Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #386453 14th Feb 2020 2:19 pm
Largered

The old engineering conundrum ........ how thick does a washer have to be, to become a spacer ?

PS ...... use stainless. Smile

Post #386456 14th Feb 2020 2:31 pm
Sebastian

2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Orkney Grey

I bought an official Land Rover kit, and I had a go at fitting it today, I say I had a go, because I managed to snap the head off 2 of the Christmas Tree plugs right before I started, and then it started to rain. So I've give it up for now.

There is no instructions with my set, but there was a QR code that takes me to here:

http://accessories-instructions.landrover....0220351651

The other place I found some information is powerfulukltd's on Youtube:

There are some interesting differences tho, powerfulukltd recomends drilling a 19mm hole in the front mounting, where Landrover want you to drill a 24mm hole in all 6 mounting spots.

Post #386862 20th Feb 2020 6:25 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Make two indentations with a drill by hand, use a pin vise if you have one, to then turn out with pointy nose pliers.

Click image to enlarge

I used an M10 x 50mm bolt galvanized (NOT zinc plated, & don't use stainless either) as a repair in the outback as the M6 bolt had snapped off. I used about 5 large galvanized washers as spaces. Has to enlarge the hole in the roof rack foot with a round file.

Photo of new bolt halfway down this page.
https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic32055.html

The rear bolt snapped, photo towards bottom of this page.
https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic34408.html

Use a 21mm socket so you don't slip & stuff up the roof removing the front original bolt. Put teflon tape around thread on new bolts.
Click image to enlarge

A 1/4" drive with 50mm extension is the easiest to tighten up the 4 Allen bolts in the crossbar. Put some bath towels on the roof to protect it while getting things in place. A 2 step ladder/stool to get a bit higher makes life easier.

Other problems I had with the roof rack down this page.
https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic31435.html

Also a 1mm teflon shim in the end of the extrusion to stop squeaking.
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #386866 20th Feb 2020 8:53 pm
Sebastian

Any tips for getting the broken parts of the christmas tree things out? one of them I managed to get about half of it out, but the rest of it is still in there at the bottom.

Post #386872 20th Feb 2020 11:33 pm
Lightwater

Being a threaded hole for an M6 thread. Drill out with a drill bit NO larger than 5mm, nice & square to hole. Use an M6 tap to clean the plastic out, or a paperclip with a small 90° hook on the end should do.

Any new M6 bolt wrap thread with some teflon. It will seal from leaks & minimise the bolt rusting in the hole.

Hot dipped galvanized only.

Down this page are photos of what is under the roof.
https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic33026-30.html Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #386874 21st Feb 2020 12:04 am
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

Sebastian wrote:
Any tips for getting the broken parts of the christmas tree things out? one of them I managed to get about half of it out, but the rest of it is still in there at the bottom.

As Lightwater has suggested, I drilled out a bit of the broken shaft then used a self-drilling 8G wood screw to pull the Christmas tree out. All of them snapped if I recall correctly - they were about 10 years old, UV light does them no favours. It's not a huge problem. You can use a bolt to clean the threads. MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #386884 21st Feb 2020 12:46 pm
Sebastian

Being the first dry day since I started this project I had another go at it today.

I used a 5mm drill and drilled until plastic stopped coming out, and then I ran down a 6mm tap (with liberal amounts of PTFE spray). that seems to of done the job. Tho of course as soon as I'd managed that it started to snow.

While I wait for the weather to carry on I've put in a M6x20 Bolt with a ~4mm rubber washer into the holes to keep the water out. Its all I had to hand.

Does anyone know how deep those threads need to be? the 20mm bolt went in without any issue, so it's at least 16mm deep.

Post #386984 23rd Feb 2020 6:54 pm
Lightwater

I snapped off the M6 bolt in the outback so as quick fix used an M10 x 50mm hot dipped galvanized bolt & about 5 washers to bolt the roof rack down. Have broken both on driver's side.

Where the bolts come through the roof, on the left you can see the above bolt sticking down through the roof.

Click image to enlarge

M6 thread inside the M10, probably about 25mm maximum including the thickness of the M10's 21mm head. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #387244 29th Feb 2020 6:55 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1