Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Rear diff shot due to rolling road???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Rangie4fun

Austria 
Rear diff shot due to rolling road???

Hi there,

This week MOT was due and went to garage. Said to the owner to put the rolling road in 4x4 mode. But he said that wasn't necessary because he shut off the engine while testing. Can't remember if car was shut out of the rolling road.
Yesterday I put on the winter tyres and so the car was on the jack so I could do a little testing:
1. Front LH weel in the air: no turning around possible
2. Rear LH wheel in the air: spins freely around, no movement of prop shaft
3. both rear wheels in the air; one spins forward, the other backwards

1 and 3 seem okay to me. The option 2. where one rear wheel is of the ground and that it can be freely turned around I don't understand. Shouldn't it be just like the front that it can't be turned when the other wheel on the same axle is on the ground? Question Shocked

Is there someone who can help me out? When there is something wrong I have to talk to the garage who did the MOT.....Thnx!! Bow down

Post #437433 30th Nov 2023 2:30 pm
Rommel

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

Gruss Gott

Which year is your Car. ? chock both front wheels jack up one rear wheel hand brake off with engine running so the haldex is engaged. then see if the wheel turns ? If all is OK it should not turn. 2013 FL2 XS.
Defender 90 300 TDi.
Defender 90 300 TDi CSW.
1964 MGB Roadster.
1944 Willys MB "Jeep" with bullet holes. (gone)
17 hand Irish Drought Thoroughbred (mostly lame)
Nagging Old Boiler.

Post #437434 30th Nov 2023 3:08 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Re: Rear diff shot due to rolling road???

Rangie4fun wrote:

The option 2. where one rear wheel is of the ground and that it can be freely turned around I don't understand. Shouldn't it be just like the front that it can't be turned when the other wheel on the same axle is on the ground? Question Shocked

What Rommel said ^^

The FL2 does NOT have permanent 4WD like an early Landrover where the rear diff is always connected to the propshaft. The haldex is an "on-demand" electro-mechanical clutch coupling. With the ignition OFF the haldex is disengaged so the propshaft is not connected to the rear diff input shaft, thus turning the raised rear wheel will turn the diff input shaft but that is not visible, but not the propshaft.
Turning ON the ignition will cause the haldex to engage and the rear diff then becomes connected to the propshaft which will prevent the rear wheel from turning. If you then also raise a front wheel then that front wheel should turn when you turn the rear wheel as it acting via the front diff inside the gearbox.

Also if you can turn the propshaft via a raised rear wheel with both front wheels on the ground (ignition ON & haldex engaged obviously) then the PTU is at fault. Jules

Post #437435 30th Nov 2023 5:05 pm
Rangie4fun

Austria 

Thank you Rommel and Jules for your help and explanation Thumbs Up Bow down Very informative and as far as I can see now I don't think anything is broken. But I definitely will check next week like you suggest. Must think of something to chock the wheels Rolling Eyes
Car is a 2012 Diesel auto.

Post #437439 30th Nov 2023 8:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1