Home > General > JLR more shut downs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red
JLR more shut downs

https://news.sky.com/story/jaguar-land-rov...s-11928326

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #386031 7th Feb 2020 5:22 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

The way that Elon Musk's Tesla operation is now progressing makes me wonder if the auto industry is going to face a "Kodak" crisis where film production and processing technology was wiped out by digital technology (despite Kodak having built the first digital camera). If the buying public starts to think that they will hold back on ICE's then current manufacturers have serious problems.

PS According to the FT, Tesla is now worth more than VW. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #386039 7th Feb 2020 8:14 pm
Sperly

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Manufacturers are not being transparent enough with the buying public. Who wants to buy an EV with a claimed mileage of X only to find that it's obsolete in a year as range is now XX? Repeat ad infinitum.

That, and the lack of visible infrastructure upgrades by both Government and Grid, lack of publicised roadmap as to how many charging points and by when, as well as how the grid is going to cope with no visible signs of upgrade, will undoubtedly keep buyers in their old ICE powered vehicles for many a year to come. Uncertainty breeds familiarity and contempt towards adopting anything new.

Soundbites from Government and Manufacturers are irrelevant. Transparency and planning are the only way that the message will get through. The current smoke and mirrors attitude toward the whole EV programme will hurt the manufacturers possibly forever.

People slate JLR as being late to the party, but I think that given the poor uptake on the iPace they are right to hold fire.

Post #386045 7th Feb 2020 9:26 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

With the US also looking like they are going to slap more tariffs on UK imported cars & China in Censored street, they are Land Rovers two biggest customers it’s not looking good for LR.

Last edited by Jack frost on 7th Feb 2020 10:29 pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #386047 7th Feb 2020 10:23 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I’ve just been in the process of buying a nice used, Euro V, XF estate for a relative and the news about the bringing forward of the end date for petrol, diesel and hybrids from 2040 to 2035, combined with the news of banning diesels from cities that he’ll never visit, has caused him to panic and stop buying anything. He’ll now carry on with a very “dirty” 14 year old diesel Espace, so everyone loses.

I can understand how these announcements cause panic and irrational reactions, causing manufacturers and in turn, their employees to suffer.

Post #386048 7th Feb 2020 10:26 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Sperly wrote:
Manufacturers are not being transparent enough with the buying public. Who wants to buy an EV with a claimed mileage of X only to find that it's obsolete in a year as range is now XX? Repeat ad infinitum.

That, and the lack of visible infrastructure upgrades by both Government and Grid, lack of publicised roadmap as to how many charging points and by when, as well as how the grid is going to cope with no visible signs of upgrade, will undoubtedly keep buyers in their old ICE powered vehicles for many a year to come. Uncertainty breeds familiarity and contempt towards adopting anything new.

Soundbites from Government and Manufacturers are irrelevant. Transparency and planning are the only way that the message will get through. The current smoke and mirrors attitude toward the whole EV programme will hurt the manufacturers possibly forever.

People slate JLR as being late to the party, but I think that given the poor uptake on the iPace they are right to hold fire.

These are my thoughts. --- Let me know when you think the Government has thought this through, AND has a plan.
It seem to me that no long term strategic plan exists, and the Government are just running around in fire fighting mode, making ad hoc decisions. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #386053 8th Feb 2020 12:29 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Australia will keep using ICE cars. Together with all the coal & gas exports we contribute 7.8% of the world's pollution. Add a few more percentage points for fires. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #386055 8th Feb 2020 12:42 am
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

That's it everybody move to Australia. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #386057 8th Feb 2020 1:04 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

It would certainly be a valuable exercise in experiencing some of the first serious effects of climate change first hand.

Post #386058 8th Feb 2020 5:41 am
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

I’m surprised by the comments above about no sign of upgrades to charging infrastructure and grid. Twice yesterday I parked in spots that are in the process of being changed over to charging locations and there is a rolling programme of road closures locally for grid strengthening works (not directly related to charging infrastructure).

At present, the charging infrastructure here seems to be ahead of demand, although I struggle to envisage how demand could ever be met if all vehicles were electric.

Hopefully, one of the advantages of driving older cars, in the 8-15 year-old range, is that I can be relatively relaxed and let others make expensive mistakes about the direction of travel of the new car market! 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #386059 8th Feb 2020 8:42 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I think we will see a lot of changes in EV technology with early designs becoming obsolete quite quickly. Just look how digital photography has changed in 20 years.
The first potable digital camera our dept bought was a huge Sony - it used a 3.5 inch "stiffy" disk to store very low res pics. It was quickly superseded by higher definition cameras and Sony's own memory stick, which later gave way to the various ubiquitous SD cards. Digital cameras have pretty much stabilised as further incremental improvements tend to be less and less.
We may also see major decisions made to harmonise standards. In the past we have had the Betamax vs VHS standards and centuries before, the decisions over railway track gauges.

I'm happy to wait and let the dust settle. Jules

Post #386064 8th Feb 2020 9:36 am
CT1

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

I don't know why people keep saying nothings been done to supply the change in electric cars. I recently read this looks like they are on the job to me.

https://www.nationalgridet.com/infrastruct...er-tunnels

Post #386065 8th Feb 2020 9:49 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Again London is getting worked on , the rest of the country has an aging grid network not ready for the huge amount of fast chargers that will be needed.

Something needs to change in battery times or a system of home storage batteries are needed to store the energy all day while people are at work then give them a charge on returning home

A scenario where everyone commutes home and plugs their chargers in all at once isnt going to work. time delayed charging at a cheaper rate will help that slightly At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #386068 8th Feb 2020 10:02 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

In areas of Queensland, people have the option of receiving a bit of a discount on electricity rates it the air conditioner was smart connected to the grid. If the network is overloaded the AC would be turned off for 20 minutes shared across the network.

The same will happen with car chargers. You could have different rates depending on how urgent you need to charge the car & a overloaded network rate.

The network will all be smart networks eventually. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #386071 8th Feb 2020 10:29 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Then you get the lady on "Question Time" the other night who said that she lived in London in a block flats and
had bought an EV and there were not enough charging points nearby. Don't these people do their homework? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #386072 8th Feb 2020 10:35 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>