« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Decision time approaches
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

dorsetfreelander wrote:
The plot thickens. I was toying with the idea of a DS hybrid which is rumoured to be coming out later this year but with yesterday's announcement I won't bother now and LR might decide to drop the model anyway.

Today's Financial Times
The UK government’s new target to ban the sale of petrol, diesel and hybrid cars by 2035 has been slammed as unworkable by the auto industry, which warned it would lead consumers to hold on to polluting cars for longer.

Ministers had previously set a target to phase out “traditional” petrol and diesel sales by 2040, which excluded some hybrid cars that use both engines and batteries.

But the move to bring forward the ban by five years — part of a broad package to reduce the UK’s emissions to net zero by 2050 — and extend it to all hybrid cars would outlaw 98 per cent of vehicles currently on sale, forcing consumers and businesses to buy electric or hydrogen powered cars.

LR will not drop the Hybrid, 15 years is past a new model cycle life so the current DS Hybrid will be gone by then replaced no doubt with a fully electric or even HFC powertrain.

Manufacturers still have to invest and sell in Hybrid and alternative fuel to meet the fleet average Co2 limits.

There will be a lot of knee jerk reactions to the recent announcement, but somehow we’ll all muddle through Shocked Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #385878 5th Feb 2020 12:45 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

I can see it now, thousands of electric cars and nowhere to plug them in Rolling Eyes

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #385897 5th Feb 2020 4:21 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

TooBlue wrote:
If you have not used the warranty I would not bother renewing it.

Your profile I think said 54k miles on a 2014 model, which sounds to me like you don't do many miles,
which to me would mean a warranty is a waste of money.

Just keep the FL2 if you are happy with it.

+1

Post #385898 5th Feb 2020 4:24 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

On a similar question - My brother rang me today to ask my opinion on what his daughter should do about the forthcoming 'Diesel Ban' in Bristol.

She drives to, and sometimes around, Bristol during her workday. At the moment she and her husband own an Audi diesel SUV.

Although the question was 'what to buy next', my thoughts were that it would be better to keep their SUV for family journeys away from Bristol, and buy a 'cheap' second hand small electric car (BMW i3?) to run about in Bristol.
I said this as I feel that it is too soon to be forking out for a new(ish) electric large car/estate/SUV as we have no idea what the future has in store, or when the government will put some money into providing the correct charging infrastructure.
At least they do have off-street parking to make it easier to charge at home. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #385902 5th Feb 2020 5:14 pm
j77

Scotland 

dorsetfreelander wrote:
The plot thickens. I was toying with the idea of a DS hybrid which is rumoured to be coming out later this year but with yesterday's announcement I won't bother now and LR might decide to drop the model anyway.

Today's Financial Times
The UK government’s new target to ban the sale of petrol, diesel and hybrid cars by 2035 has been slammed as unworkable by the auto industry, which warned it would lead consumers to hold on to polluting cars for longer.

Ministers had previously set a target to phase out “traditional” petrol and diesel sales by 2040, which excluded some hybrid cars that use both engines and batteries.

But the move to bring forward the ban by five years — part of a broad package to reduce the UK’s emissions to net zero by 2050 — and extend it to all hybrid cars would outlaw 98 per cent of vehicles currently on sale, forcing consumers and businesses to buy electric or hydrogen powered cars.

The DS PHEV is ready to go, it’s only weeks away so I’ve been told. I can’t see LR dropping it at the moment as they need it to get their emissions down. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #385905 5th Feb 2020 6:48 pm
Boxbrownie

^^^^ definitely Thumbs Up Regards

David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #385907 5th Feb 2020 7:25 pm
Boxbrownie

JulesK wrote:
I can see it now, thousands of electric cars and nowhere to plug them in Rolling Eyes

Sheep

And that.......is the main problem, much more so for town/city dwellers who have no off road parking, but then the greenies will say town/city dwellers should be walking/cycling using public transport........hmmmm yes that’ll work Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Post #385908 5th Feb 2020 7:28 pm
moestr7v8

England 

At last someone talking sense, I agree with John Naish wholeheartedly, I am at an age now when I compare the air quality now to 60 years ago when growing up in south london buses and lorries were throwing out clouds of black smoke you very rarely see that these days.
I have had a few differences of opinions with people about electric vehicles on how are we going to support the drain on the national grid when every ev owner plug in their car overnight to charge it up, after all if we have an inch of snow in the winter the amount of power cuts we suffer makes the thought of nemerous ev's being charged laughable.
As China is one of the countries spewing out enormous amount of pollution it's ironic that they have most of the material needed to make the batteries for said vehicles Rolling with laughter
As far as I am concerned I will carry on with my petrol and diesel cars for as long as I possible can, if I have to go down the ev route surley the best way forward is to buy a hybrid, surely best of both worlds.
Politicians, I'd Censored them Thumbs Up
Cheers
Moe

Post #385916 5th Feb 2020 9:24 pm
GundogSD4

England 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Agreed, internal combustion all the way Thumbs Up 94 Disco 300 TDI Gone
96 Defender 300 TDI Gone...Should have kept it.
2003 Freelander ES TD4 Gone
2002 Defender TD5 Gone
2005 Freelander HSE TD4 Gone
2015 Freelander 2 Metropolis Keeping for now!

Post #385917 5th Feb 2020 9:40 pm
Sperly

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

ICE will be here for a long time to come yet......

What the greens fail to realise or take into account is that public transport is not a safe way to travel anymore. Particularly in city's in the evening. I wouldn't dream of getting on a bus or train anymore...you only have to catch someone's eye and them take offence and you end up stabbed!

Post #385918 5th Feb 2020 10:01 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

The extended warranty on my Evoque expired in October 2017 and I was offered an extra year at around a grand. I decided to self insure and in the two and a bit years since the warranty expired, all I’ve had to replace that the warranty would have covered was a door motor a few months ago. That’s over two grand saved. If only I could find where I put it.......... Laughing Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #385932 6th Feb 2020 12:08 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

GundogSD4 wrote:
My warranty ran out at the beginning of December 2019... never even used it Rolling Eyes
So if it breaks now i will have it fixed, I think it makes more sense to put £20 a week in a jar and if in that year you dont have any problems you will be a £1000 better off but if it does break you have the cash to repair it, If you were to pay for a warranty upfront they will keep your money even if you dont make any claims...Stealers Censored

The issue here is that, for an example, after an owner may have set aside their £20 a week for two months, they might find themselves with a bill for a new torque converter and/or a steering rack and/or a differential and will only have £160 in the kitty to pay for it all. A driver needs to be in a financial position to be to afford to pay for any repair to make self insurance viable.

Post #385934 6th Feb 2020 7:54 am
GundogSD4

England 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

That is true but an FL2 or any other Landrover is not a shoestring budget car so is best avoided if that is the financial position a person is in.
If you want/need cheap motoring buy Japanese. 94 Disco 300 TDI Gone
96 Defender 300 TDI Gone...Should have kept it.
2003 Freelander ES TD4 Gone
2002 Defender TD5 Gone
2005 Freelander HSE TD4 Gone
2015 Freelander 2 Metropolis Keeping for now!

Post #385935 6th Feb 2020 8:12 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

On that basis, are you suggesting to only consider Freelander ownership if there’s a sufficient “cash float” to cover, say, a catastrophic engine and / or gearbox repair at any time? I would suggest that might deplete the pool of many Land Rover drivers pretty quickly! Insurance is, as ever, there to cover otherwise unpredictable, unavoidable and potentially unaffordable costs.

Post #385938 6th Feb 2020 9:01 am
j77

Scotland 

Sperly wrote:
ICE will be here for a long time to come yet......

What the greens fail to realise or take into account is that public transport is not a safe way to travel anymore. Particularly in city's in the evening. I wouldn't dream of getting on a bus or train anymore...you only have to catch someone's eye and them take offence and you end up stabbed!

What a lot of rubbish! I drive buses for a living and have done for many years and have never come across anything you’ve described.

Maybe in London but you can get stabbed just walking along the streets. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #385946 6th Feb 2020 10:30 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>