Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > HDC Fault System Unavailable.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
to-LR2

Canada 2010 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Lago Grey
HDC Fault System Unavailable.

This week my 2010 LR2 3.2L (gas) displayed the following messages:

HDC Fault System Unavailable.
Transmission Fault.

I took it in to a local independent garage that specializes in JLR and they concluded that it was the Haldex Control Module that needs to be replaced.

So far, I'm in for a pretty penny for them to tell me this....
1 hr, initial diagnostics based on the 2 messages above.
+additional 3hours diagnostic time.

At which point they told me the following:
Haldex Control Module causing communication issue - control module no good.

They said the repair would cost another $1980 : part ($1400) + 1hour installation ($135) + $200 to program the haldex control module

When I told them I wasn't prepared to pay $2000 on top of what was already charged, they charged me 0.5 hours to put things back together.

My question - if I am able to buy the haldex control module elsewhere -- is programming required for it to work with my LR2?

And am I at risk for anything else not working once I replace the haldex control module?

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by to-LR2 on 29th Feb 2020 12:12 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #385670 2nd Feb 2020 12:19 am
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Here is a search on the forum for HDC fault:

https://www.freel2.com/forum/search.php?se...rch_time=0

If you are sure that the garage's assessment is accurate, you maybe able to pickup a used control module from a wrecker or the net. I would phone JLR parts and price the module and ask the parts guy or gal if it requires programming. If it requires programming, then a dealer will only program a new unit. But, that fault could be due to a failing pump, a blocked filter or a damaged wire loom to the control module as well (pretty common based on past threads I read on this site) I think. I did not read all of the threads from the search but if it was me and I was going to drop that kinda coin, I'd go through them as you also know what symptoms you are having in conjunction with the dash display. Was that Birkshire Automotive BTW?

Post #385672 2nd Feb 2020 2:51 am
to-LR2

Yes, it was Berkshire. They seemed confident this was the issue. I have no past experience with them.

I called a dealership earlier today and the service guy didn't give me a lot of confidence based on what he was explaining. He said they'd need to program adaptations but of course they'd want to diagnose to make sure the assessment was correct.

I've seen new Haldex Control modules from the US for approx. $500 less but maybe going through them would be the least amount of hassle since they did the initial diagnostic.

Just painful to have to have a repair this expensive Sad

Post #385673 2nd Feb 2020 3:19 am
MotionInc

Quote:
Just painful to have to have a repair this expensive

I totally hear that! Hopefully, there maybe someone on the site with some better insight in a few.

Last edited by MotionInc on 2nd Feb 2020 6:00 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #385699 2nd Feb 2020 2:41 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Sounds like a professional outfit, 4 hours diagnostic time - seriously? Shocked

See the link below:

https://www.haldexrepairs.co.uk/ecu-testing-repair-service/

Although its a UK based company surely there must be a similar outfit in Canada or US that specialize in Haldex systems? Millions of them in VW group cars. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #385708 2nd Feb 2020 4:33 pm
to-LR2

Great link - thanks! I am not aware of any Haldex experts in Canada (Toronto in this case).

I found a performance shop in Canada -
https://www.hpamotorsports.com/hpa-products/drivetrain/haldex but it doesn't look like any of their options would be cheaper.

Post #385716 2nd Feb 2020 5:55 pm
to-LR2

Bobupndown wrote:
Sounds like a professional outfit, 4 hours diagnostic time - seriously? Shocked

See the link below:

Although its a UK based company surely there must be a similar outfit in Canada or US that specialize in Haldex systems? Millions of them in VW group cars.

@Bobupndown

The place you suggested was able to get me a new haldex control module for a fraction of the cost.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Post #386620 16th Feb 2020 10:12 pm
MotionInc

^^^ That very good news Thumbs Up! Have you had it installed hence solved the problem? Did they have to code/register it to the vehicle?

Post #386626 17th Feb 2020 12:07 am
to-LR2

@MotionInc.

Here's the sequence of events.

I exchanged a couple of e-mails with Matt at Auto Fault Finder (Link in post above).

He said they could try and repair it or replace it if they could not fix it (and he said he could do it within 24 hours of arriving). As part of the process they copy over the settings.

I sent my unit DHL to the UK (approx. 2 days)

As soon as it arrived, they let me know immediately that it was water damaged and would need replacing.

Haldex ECU - 7H0907554 with Diff Lock £266.67 (ex. VAT)
LAND ROVER FREELANDER GENERATION 4 HALDEX DIFF FILTER LR032298 £25.42 (ex. VAT)
Bilstein 101172 850ml Haldex Oil for Generation 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 £23.75 (ex. VAT)
A couple of O-rings were also added for the Haldex pump.
Subtotal: £315.84 (ex. VAT)
Shipping: £45.65 via Small Parcels Global
Total: £361.49

I believe I sent it on a Tuesday and it arrived in the UK Thursday. In the mail on Friday back to Canada and I received it Monday. Approx 1 week total.

The Control module was really easy to remove -- 2x4mm hex screws holding it in. Reinstallation was a breeze as well. I used a little gasket maker around the unit to make sure there would be no issues in the future (Per Matts recommendation).

As you can see from the parts list, I changed O-rings on the pump, and the filter. I did have some issues getting the new filter reinstalled -- it is in an awkward position.

Changing the Haldex fluid on our LR2 is pretty much identical to this Volvo -
Two horrible design issues required the following:
1. You need to grind the edge of the haldex pump to get it out
2. The filter sits on top. You need to use something to spear the old filter/cap to get it out.

The issues I had with the top cap of the filter required my regular mechanics help. Thankfully he only charged me $40 to drop part of the haldex to get better (viewable) access.

No reprogramming required!!

All Error messages were gone after the new module was installed.

Still several hundred dollars (CAD) but a lot less than the $2000 quoted by Berkshire Automotive.

Matt & Auto Fault Finder - True Professionals. I wish all companies were that easy to work with.

Post #386627 17th Feb 2020 1:15 am
MotionInc

Thanks for the update and good info. I have a haldex gen 3 system on my 2008, my filter is easy to get to (on the side, yours is on the top as it's a 4(?) )and I did service & replace mine a few months back; interestingly the filter I replaced looked pretty darn clean as I don't know when it was changed before or if ever.

I have drained and filled the haldex twice since I bought it just over a year ago. My pump on the other hand can only be serviced by removing the prop shaft, no nipple to grind an angle on, a PITA. At the time I did clean all the connections to the ecu and haldex but now I will run a bead of gasket maker or heavy silicone waterproof grease around the controller as I did not know it was not water tight!

I bookmarked this thread JIC but I did notice that only the haldex 2 and 4 systems appear to be referenced & serviced by Auto Fault Finder. I have bought some LR stuff from British retailers and so far I am yet to be disappointed.

Post #386628 17th Feb 2020 2:12 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1